By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many games bombing in 2010?

Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
jarrod said:

Clone of War isn't exactly what I'd call innovation.  I'd just rather they steal from a superior game again (ie: Super Metroid).

Meh. I'll take Clone of War over Metroidvania 32. While it may not be different on a large scale, I'm speaking relative to the franchise itself. Considering that, I think it's the most change the series has ever seen.

Guys, guys, come on, I'm sure there's something we can agree on here.

"Give Castlevania to Platinum Games and see what they do with it."

That could be pretty great, yeah? A Shinji Mikami Castlevania?

That would be awesome.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network

Perhaps becasue they aren't great.

I LOVE ICELAND!

People have a limited budget, I for example can only buy 1 full price game per month, or 2 cheaper titles. So I have to choose which game I will buy this month and its a hard choice to make because the releases are very good. This month I had to choose between Kirby, NBA Jam, Star Wars TFU 2 and Rock Band 3. Next month will be even worse, so its hard for all titles to get great sales. I was always play catch up early next year buying a few of those games that slipped from my schedule.

SCE releases new orginal titles every year and they sell well 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network

I bought so much this year:

• God of war III(PS3)
  • Final Fantasy XIII(PS3)
  • Last Rebellion(PS3)
  • Mass Effect 2(360)
  • Heavy Rain(PS3)
  • White Knight Chronicles(PS3)
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope International(PS3)
  • Darksiders(PS3)
  • Dante's Inferno(PS3)
  • Mod Nation Racers(PS3)
  • Lost Planet 2(PS3)
  • Red Dead Redemption(PS3)
  • Halo Reach(360)
  • Atelier Roroana(PS3)
  • Resoncance of Fate(PS3)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep(PSP)
  • Hexyz Force(PSP)
  • Quantom theory(PS3)
  • Vanquish(PS3)
  • Dead Space(PS3)(well didn't come out this year but got it)
  • Star wars: the force unleashed(PS3)(same as dead space)
  • Castlevania: Lord of Shadows(PS3)
  • Lufia: curse of the sinistrals(NDS)
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands(PS3)
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes(PS3)
will be getting:
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood(PS3)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops(PS3)
  • God of War: Ghost of Sparta(PSP)
  • Golden Sun: Dark Dawn(NDS)
so I'm doin my part lol...and 2011 looks more of the same...-__-(should I be happy or sad that I spend so much on gaming?)

I would say that I pretty much fill the bill on the burn-out theory, I'm stuck with just 2 Wii games until I can get a J. O. B. And even when I do get one, I am pretty much sure that I won't be aquiring as much as I had in the past with the added responsibility that's being thrown on my shoulder...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

Reasons why games are bombing:

1.  Recession.  Parents don't have the money to buy their kids and teens every game anymore.

2.  Increased competition from other gaming media.  The last generation didn't have to deal with facebook, iphone games, and free MMOs.

3.  Online multiplayer has become too engrossing.  Last year, when I bought MW2, I became so addicted with online multiplayer (I put in over 10 days game time, many of my friends have put in 25-30 days game time) that I didn't feel much need to play other games.  Games like CoD, Halo Reach, BF:BC2 are giving TOO much good content away in the online experience.  People have little need or incentive to buy as many games with such great multiplayer offerings.

4.  Flourishing used games business.  Everyone from Walmart to Toys'r'us to Best Buy is trying to follow gamestops lead and take advantage of the lucrative used games biz.  Why buy a game full price when you can wait a few months and get it for 30-50% off?

5.  Cheap game deals.  Struggling retailers are doing whatever they can to lure people in for game sales.  I only buy top-tier games during launch week now, and I usually get a $20 gift card when I do.  For the rest of the games I want, I just wait till I find a great deal on cheapassgamer.com.  My best deal so far this year was $26 for RDR new, 5 weeks after release.  The savvy game shopper knows he dosen't have to buy right away.  Unfortunately this strategy also hurts games publishers.

6.  Game rentals- Gamefly has been around, now redbox is jumping into the game.  I sure as heck won't buy Kirby or Donkey Kong when I can easily beat them in 3 days for $6.  The games that are going to be most affected by rentals are the single-player games that can be beaten in 5-15hrs.  Games like Alan Wake, NMH2, Red Stell 2, etc.

7.  Piracy- its a bad word, but it has to have an effect-- especially on PC, Wii, DS, and PSP. 

8.  Burn-out.  I don't play games that have a good story, because I would much rather read a good book which probably has a much better story than a game could ever have.  Games haven't evolved all that much in the last years.  They are still fun, but RPGs, platformers, hack'n'slash, and Madden are still largely the same.  FPS and online have come of age, but even that becomes repetitive.  How many racing games, fighting game, and sports game does a person really need? 

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

The market's becoming saturated for starters, including top quality games.

The problem is that only a portion of the core audience buys more than one full priced ($50-60) game per month. Offhand, particularly if you own more than one console, there is almost always more than one game a month that stands out as a major release.

If not relying upon the core audience to buy more releases, it's up to the new consumers, who typically buy more games during the first year of console ownership, to pick up the slack.

Whether it's because of the economy or because interest has dropped among those who have already owned their console for 4-5 years, the effect is the same: consumers are picking and choosing a lot more selectively, and in some cases, simply buying less.

With DL games for all consoles (VC/Wiiware, PSN, XBLA) there are other cheaper options available as well.

Add to that the issue of major franchise sequels that are generally guaranteed to take sales (Halo, CoD) compared to lesser known games and the market becomes that much more squeezed.

badgenome said:
Khuutra said:

Guys, guys, come on, I'm sure there's something we can agree on here.

"Give Castlevania to Platinum Games and see what they do with it."

That could be pretty great, yeah? A Shinji Mikami Castlevania?

Always the voice of reason.

Castlevania defies reason.

Besides, CV Rebirth was fuckawesome, and Iga had his dirty fingers all over it (and Contra Rebirth too btw).  Iga does SUPERIOR Actionvania as well. <3