By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSN Developer: Japan not the gaming mecca it once was

I would like to believe that this is cyclical. They will come back around, like someone said earlier it may be a new generation rising. But at least the Handheld market is as strong as ever(The DS is Nintendo most successful system there software wise, per year out of course)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
That's about all there is left. If the video game industry would only depend on Japan, it would have been dead by now. I've always loved the Japanese gaming community, but since several months I find it nothing more but a disgrace.

Mario Galaxy basically bombing
Zack & Wiki bombed hard
Opoona bombed hard
No More Heroes bombing
Ratchet & Clank Future bombed, while R&C became quite a popular franchise in Japan

Honestly, Japan as a gaming culture is losing my interest and it has nothing to do with the developers, as they're the ones who're creating these wonderful new ideas, but it are the conservative Japanese buyers who refuse to buy all the new stuff!

Add there : Silent Hill Zero bombing

Resident Evil UC doing worse than previous RE games

And the same with MIna No Golf Portable 2 ....

Yeah , Japan clearly lost its interest in real games :( 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

well for some reason japan has been worse then before

Well if the Playstation 3 managed to outsell the Wii, for two weeks straight, in Japan, than I'm not surprised.

celine said:
Mummelmann said:
All "big" three have failed in Japan as far as I see. Strange that Ninty and Sony are doing so poorly. (stationary market).

Really ?

Here a thread opened by Shams that talk about the japanese market :

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=11659

An extract of Shams post :

=== After 56 weeks (Japan) ===

PS3:

- 1,484k hardware
- 2,941k software
- 1.98 attach rate

PS2:

- 4,144k hardware
- 10,372k software
- 2.50 attach rate

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=36975&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

(for a quick comparison - the Wii has only been out for 53 weeks in Japan, and is on track to match the PS2 in hardware sales - and has exceeded PS2 software sales by more than 10% to date).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems that Ninty stationary console is doing pretty good compared to PS2 or maybe you think that PS2 did poorly in japanese market ....

Which is not impressive at all if you take a look at some of the insane Wii predictions people make in here... Surely, if the Wii is to sell anything from 240 to 750 (!!!) million, it has to do A LOT better than the PS2, right? The Wii isn't doing terribly per say in Japan, but when you align it with Vgchartz' typical expectation.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
if the Japanese economy would repair itself a bit more then it would be the game country it was.

How does that make any sense? The Japanese economic bubble burst in 1991 and the economy was terrible throughout the 90s and well into the mid 00s.
Did the Japanese gaming market collapse between 1991 and 2004?

These changes are cultural and far more permanent. The Japanese market will be dominated by handhelds and casual/practical games, which is good news for the DS, PSP, and Wii.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

hunter_alien said:
*~Onna76~* said:
That's about all there is left. If the video game industry would only depend on Japan, it would have been dead by now. I've always loved the Japanese gaming community, but since several months I find it nothing more but a disgrace.

Mario Galaxy basically bombing
Zack & Wiki bombed hard
Opoona bombed hard
No More Heroes bombing
Ratchet & Clank Future bombed, while R&C became quite a popular franchise in Japan

Honestly, Japan as a gaming culture is losing my interest and it has nothing to do with the developers, as they're the ones who're creating these wonderful new ideas, but it are the conservative Japanese buyers who refuse to buy all the new stuff!

Add there : Silent Hill Zero bombing

Resident Evil UC doing worse than previous RE games

And the same with MIna No Golf Portable 2 ....

Yeah , Japan clearly lost its interest in real games :(

RE: UC sales shouldn't be compared to the mainline series. The sales should be compared to the Gun Survivor or Outbreak games.

Japan not the gaming mecca it once was... and most of you agree ¿are you smokin'crack or something?

If you don't understand the gaming market of japan don't say anything at all please. Keep in mind that the DS sold more then 20 mill in 3 years time thats one outof 6 japanse people and thats more then ever before in japan. This is very impressive for a country not being a gaming mecca anymore as most of you seem to presume. The gaming culture in japan changed I agree, but it just is more 'casual' now but don't say it issn't a gaming macca anymore.
In japan people in all layers of the society are gaming, they want games they can just play for a while to relax. Remember that Nintendo iss't bundling Wii sports in japan and it still in the top 20 with over 2 million sold and ~4 million wii's sold. For the ones that can't count thats is a ratio of 1:2.

Then there is Amerika. Amerika... I look at Amerika as the new japan of the '90 in extrems in gaming(halo3 anyone) you are just with more ^^. It is in a hardcore market state right now with sales mostly taken place in the first weeks of release. Offcourse there also is the mainstream market wich is also big in Amerika and growing!!! I think it will even surpase the hardcore in amerika next year. 

Well now I allready did 2 of the 3 main markets so I will also say something about Europa. Europe has always been a very casual gaming market and now with japan(wii) becomming more casual orientated they will see a large growth in this market next year, just like the DS did this year. 

It's America. Not Amerika. Get it right.

He's a PSN developer. The Playstation brand has been doing very poorly in Japan. Now, if he was a DS developer he'd be talking about how Japan has adopted gaming like never before. And if he was a Wii developer he'd be talking about how sales are even better than when the PS2 launched in Japan.

His problem is that he's stuck to the losing side right now. It would make good financial sense to switch over to Nintendo again.