By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSN Developer: Japan not the gaming mecca it once was

@altasia

nice post, I agree gaming itself is still huge there- if they US had an attact rate for the DS like Japan does it would have sold upwards of 60 million- already- (still think it is not out of the question)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
altasia said:

Japan not the gaming mecca it once was... and most of you agree ¿are you smokin'crack or something?

If you don't understand the gaming market of japan don't say anything at all please. Keep in mind that the DS sold more then 20 mill in 3 years time thats one outof 6 japanse people and thats more then ever before in japan. This is very impressive for a country not being a gaming mecca anymore as most of you seem to presume. The gaming culture in japan changed I agree, but it just is more 'casual' now but don't say it issn't a gaming macca anymore.
In japan people in all layers of the society are gaming, they want games they can just play for a while to relax. Remember that Nintendo iss't bundling Wii sports in japan and it still in the top 20 with over 2 million sold and ~4 million wii's sold. For the ones that can't count thats is a ratio of 1:2.

Then there is Amerika. Amerika... I look at Amerika as the new japan of the '90 in extrems in gaming(halo3 anyone) you are just with more ^^. It is in a hardcore market state right now with sales mostly taken place in the first weeks of release. Offcourse there also is the mainstream market wich is also big in Amerika and growing!!! I think it will even surpase the hardcore in amerika next year. 

Well now I allready did 2 of the 3 main markets so I will also say something about Europa. Europe has always been a very casual gaming market and now with japan(wii) becomming more casual orientated they will see a large growth in this market next year, just like the DS did this year. 

Exactly, couldn't have said it better my self, the Ds has rejuvenated gaming in Japan, i will also attribute some of the success to the PSP and Wii

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Who is that guy? An unknown developer bleah

Its a different gaming mecca now, its the mecca of the expanded market

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)