By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Best Selling Gran Turismo 939 37.95%

2nd Best Selling Gran Turismo 494 19.97%

3rd Best Selling Gran Turismo 389 15.72%

4th Best Selling Gran Turismo 116 4.69%

The Worst Selling Gran Turismo 536 21.67%

Total:2,474

becuase i can i'll say 20m

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:

So people really think GT5 can't sell more than 7-8 million when GT5 Prologue (a glorified demo) sold 5 million?

Please don't start me again with that ''Look at GT5 Prologue sales!!!!'' again.

GT5:P was out for almost 3 years now, was heavily bundled and is now at 3.9M. If there is anything we can learn from that is that GT5 won't sell more than 7-8 million after taking that into consideration. 

darthdevidem01 said:
steverhcp02 said:
atma998 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

This generation we have seen the following:

DMC4 outsold DMC3 (multiplat but I believe the PS3 version alone would have too had it been exclusive)

MGS4 outsold MGS3 

GOW3 outsold GOW2

FF13 outsold FF12 (multiplat but the PS3 version alone did 4.3 Million and by the time it ends selling will be at 5 Million....so had it been exclusive the PS3 version alone would have done more)

The only exception is GTA4....

Otherwise we can see that the new iteration of a franchise outsells the last in the previous gen

However as GTA4 is the only exception I'll treat it as an anomaly, this is why I expect GT5 to outsell GT4 at the least! But if it doesn't it will still not be the lowest selling GT!!

Not really the only exception...

Most of Madden and FIFA games sold better on PS2.

Prince of Persia and Tom Clancy's franchises also sold better on PS2.

Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk's franchises sold better on PS2.

Star Wars games sold better on PS2.

WWE games sold better on PS2.

And... another huge racing game's franchise in the name of Need for Speed also sold way better on PS2.

And keep in mind that a lot of PS2 games aren't very weel tracked here.

In the end I think GT5 won't top 7-8 million LTD.

p.s. GoW III didnt outsold GoW II yet, it is currently at 3.03M, while GoW II is at 3.45M and GoW is at 3.74M. But I agree it will outsell it eventually. :)

All of those games have yearly iterations and while your point is noted, last gen what youre doing is essentially comparing the entire industries 3rd party sales on the best console (see: ONLY console) vs this gens split 3rd party sales on its weakest console, rendering that point invalid, imo.

Exactly why I didn't even bother responding to him.

the games I said are much closer to GT5 in terms of "behaviour" than "yearly iterations".

I simply added some other games to your awful list of only 3 and a half games that lead you to the conclusion that a ''new iteration of a franchise outsells the last in the previous gen''. 

If you want to take example of games that are more closer to GT5 in terms of behavior, why didnt you take any Need for Speed games in your theory instead of MGS, DMC or FF?

Now userbase is not everything for sure but it helps a lot to sell games. Just take a quick look at PS2 vs. PS3, XB vs. XB360 and GC vs. Wii games to see what I'm talking about. However, it's not because your userbase is 2 times bigger than it will sells 2 times more games, but something for sure it won't sell less than before and the other way around...

darthdevidem01 said:
VGhippy said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Actually they sold 5 Million of GT5 : Prologue

My bad :P

But you still have a point

They probably didn't get ALL their costs back from GT5 : Prologue

But even if they got 60% - 74%.....thats good enough because GT5 is gonna sell massively in itself.

5 million at say $12 a game to Sony after all they own it so get two slices of the cherry plus no retail for the  DL side of things so they should have got back development costs easy maybe even made a small profit and remember the 60 million figure includes prologue as it was made on the back of developing the engine then you take into account money earned from developing the GTR's dashboard telemetry device. plus i don't see why a series that has sold close to 60 million copy's making billions in the process even has people concerned about it's budget add another 60 million on top of that and they'd still rake in the dough.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I was gonna continue with fail to sale "more than New Super Mario Brothers Wii." but then I saw the poll and went wtfz.

Around the Network
atma998 said:

I simply added some other games to your awful list of only 3 and a half games that lead you to the conclusion that a ''new iteration of a franchise outsells the last in the previous gen''.

If you want to take example of games that are more closer to GT5 in terms of behavior, why didnt you take any Need for Speed games in your theory instead of MGS, DMC or FF?

Now userbase is not everything for sure but it helps a lot to sell games. Just take a quick look at PS2 vs. PS3, XB vs. XB360 and GC vs. Wii games to see what I'm talking about. However, it's not because your userbase is 2 times bigger than it will sells 2 times more games, but something for sure it won't sell less than before and the other way around...

Something worth noting again.

MGS4 and god of War 3 wouldn't sell as well as the PS2 games because of the userbase. Yet both games have proven this wrong.

I think this is also something darth was trying to point out.

Also worth noting. The NFS games were milked to the point that they sold like ass on both PS3 and 360... Combined. Underground/Underground 2 were both new, fresh ideas riding on the back of films like Fast and Furious pushing the car modding scene.

atma998 said:
FinalEvangelion said:

So people really think GT5 can't sell more than 7-8 million when GT5 Prologue (a glorified demo) sold 5 million?

Please don't start me again with that ''Look at GT5 Prologue sales!!!!'' again.

GT5:P was out for almost 3 years now, was heavily bundled and is now at 3.9M. If there is anything we can learn from that is that GT5 won't sell more than 7-8 million after taking that into consideration. 

My thoughts exactly.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Except that GT5P really sold over 5M, don't forget that the game is available on PSN.

as much as i hate to admit it i have to say that i think the regular delays will be bad for the sales for the sales of GT5, well the opening sales anyways... however i will still be buying it on launch day along with the true sim racing fans

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I'll be keeping this thread bookmarked.  I have a good feeling there will be some crow served.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.