By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Enslaved doing pretty good on both consoles.

Quick question:  If a company (like Ninja Theory/Namco) ships one million copies of a game to stores, and the stores have to sell the games at a price cut, does Namco get paid for the games shipped or the games sold?  I mean, when do they get their money?  And who's decision is it to cut the price?  The retailer or the company/distributor?  I know I sound like a noob, here.  I'm just hoping that if the game really has sold 800,000 copies, the retailer is taking the hit for discounts instead of the game's maker.

Anybody?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Quick question:  If a company (like Ninja Theory/Namco) ships one million copies of a game to stores, and the stores have to sell the games at a price cut, does Namco get paid for the games shipped or the games sold?  I mean, when do they get their money?  And who's decision is it to cut the price?  The retailer or the company/distributor?  I know I sound like a noob, here.  I'm just hoping that if the game really has sold 800,000 copies, the retailer is taking the hit for discounts instead of the game's maker.

Anybody?

I honestly don't know! I should imagine the retailers have paid for them all at full price, however certain publishers may have some form of sale or eturn policy on games - but I simply don't know.

Also, is that 800k on all consoles?

ZechsMerquise said:

Enslaved and Castlevania have both bombed. For the amount of money that was thrown at Castlevania Konami will be seriously disappointed. But the HD flops keep coming, Blood Stone failed to chart on the 360  and only just made it into the worldside top 50 on the PS3.

But Blood Stone sucks, people say. That's not the case with Castlevania or Enslaved.

d21lewis said:

Anybody?

i suppose the Publisher will decide to reduce the price for the retailer, if a game doesn't sell, to avoid getting all the unsold copies sent back to them.

that means of course, in that case Namco gets less money on the reduced Games as well.

as much as i would like to, i can't imagine the retailers will take the hit. 

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

d21lewis said:

Anybody?

It depends on who drops the price. If the publisher agrees to reduce the RRP then they cover the cost for retailers while if the retailer decides to sell the game below RRP then the retailer covers the cost.

Around the Network
ZechsMerquise said:
Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:

Enslaved and Castlevania have both bombed. For the amount of money that was thrown at Castlevania Konami will be seriously disappointed. But the HD flops keep coming, Blood Stone failed to chart on the 360  and only just made it into the worldside top 50 on the PS3.

Blood Stone is at 63 on metacritic and it sold 71,426 FW (excluding PC sales). That is half what Goldeneye did on the Wii. Far from being a flop I think.

That is a major flop. It will probably struggle to do 300k on either console.

EMEAA Week 2 sales:

Goldeneye 007: 36,751 - Metacritic: 82

Blood Stone: 29,820 (excluding PC sales) - Metacritic: 64

Still a flop?

Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:
Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:

Blood Stone is at 63 on metacritic and it sold 71,426 FW (excluding PC sales). That is half what Goldeneye did on the Wii. Far from being a flop I think.

EMEAA Week 2 sales:

Still a flop?

I would say the fact that the 360 version of bloodstone failed to chart in the top 50 worldwide makes it a flop. Especially as dev costs are so high for HD games. I think that is also combined sales of the 360 and PS3 version you're talking about. Overall I think we agree that sales have at least been underwhelming?

ZechsMerquise said:
Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:
Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:

EMEAA Week 2 sales:

Still a flop?

I would say the fact that the 360 version of bloodstone failed to chart in the top 50 worldwide makes it a flop. Especially as dev costs are so high for HD games. I think that is also combined sales of the 360 and PS3 version you're talking about. Overall I think we agree that sales have at least been underwhelming?

No the sales are on line with what they deserve to be for Blood Stone. Underwhelming for Goldeneye though.

Quantum of Solice showed strong legs at xmas, benefitting alot from Christmas shoppers buying it for just brand name. Bloodstone will inevitalby have a few more strong weeks once the holiday rush comes in, it still won't do brilliant but for the mediocre game it is it'll be fine. Can hardly expect or want a crap game to sell millions of copies. 

Namco adjust Enslaved expected sales from 1m to 800k (Based on current retail performance) recently so I don't think it's doing as bad as perhaps some people want to suggest. Price cuts could hurt it though, it's hard to tell how retail took to the game - either way I reckon they'll take a stab at a sequel and I reckon it'll be well poised to do decent numbers, similiar to how I expect Darksiders 2 to do alot better then the original.

Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:
Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:
Boutros said:
ZechsMerquise said:

EMEAA Week 2 sales:

Still a flop?

No the sales are on line with what they deserve to be for Blood Stone. Underwhelming for Goldeneye though.

I doubt sales of Bloodstone will be pleasing Activision one bit. Also, but saying that a game is doing well because it got a low average score then doesn't sell well is wrong. The fact that it got a low average score would suggest it is a critical flop, I would also say at the very least the 360 version has been a commercial flop!