Vanillaware (Muramasa) 15 9.32%

Grasshopper Manufacture (No more Heroes) 4 2.48%

Internal EAD 48 29.81%

Other (please specify) 22 13.66%

Total:161
foxtail said:
Khuutra said:
foxtail said:

Team Ninja should give it another go and sooner than later.  Just try to address what the major complaints were with with Other M and make changes where needed.   Remember the Gold standard Metroid game is not Fusion or even Prime, it's Super Metroid.

In terms of sales that isn't true. The gold standard is Prime - discounting that, the gold standard is the original Metroid.

And yes, sales are a valid metric here - Nintendo has said they want it to sell better, after all.

When I used the gold standard phrase I was thinking more in terms of it's common use, as in "an overall model of excellence in the Metroid series" and not just sales.  But when talking about sales you should also remember that Nintendo cares about how the well the games sell in Japan and Super Meroid is the only game where Japan > North America (the original Metroid came close to even too).  That said, I do enjoy the Prime series and have no doubt that Retro will revisit the series in the future but that shouldn't stop Nintendo from letting Team Ninja refine and evolve the Other M formula. 

Talking about sales, people forget, that Prime was in a bundle. You can´t compare these sales figures with no-bundled games (!).

Around the Network

I'd love Vanillaware to take a shot at it. That said I'm perfectly ok with another TNxNintendo collaboration. I want Retro to stay FAR AWAY from Metroid. They gave us 4 titles and I think thats enough from them on Metroid.

I loved M:OM and wanna continues to see 3rd person/Sidescrolling Metroid. First-person was fun but I'm worn out and I think there are more options with 3rd person gameplay.

Konami!!!

And give her a whip.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

darkgemini said:
Talking about sales, people forget, that Prime was in a bundle. You can´t compare these sales figures with no-bundled games (!). 

Lots of other Gamecube games were bundles that failed to sell on the same level (for example Donkey Konga or Mario Party 7 which sold less than unbundled Mario Party 6). The bundle argument only works if the game came with the main SKU and not a limited one, or if the game was effectively free. Yes it helped sales, but by a few hundred thousand at most.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Khuutra said:
darkknightkryta said:

Just let Foxhound (or whatver Kojima's internal name is for his dev team) make the next Metroid game

I have never been more terrified by an idea so much in my life.

Kojima is not a good fit for Metroid

Like I said the first 15 minutes or so that I played of the game (Still have to get through other games first before I can get back to Other M) it seems like they wanted a big Hollywood Blockbuster, and well who else better than Kojima? But yeah seriously Team Ninja did a fine job, change the people from Nintendo that wrote the dialogue.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
jarrod said:
Khuutra said:

You are avoiding my question, Jarrod, by reiterating the elements that make the question valid

Why acknowledge a question based on a false premise?  I'm hardly alone in having criticisms with the Prime formula, or in wanting a Metroid 2 remake (the game needs it, badly).

Being the odd man out means that you are in the minority (about Metroid Prime and its faithfulness in particular), not that yo uare alone in your opinions. I would never be so stupid as to pretend that someone is alone in holding a particular value set.

What I mean is that Metroid Prime is generally held up as an almost perfect 3-D rendition of the Metroid formula, particularly by gamers at large (and yes, by that I mean that Metroid diehards may differ on this point). You're surrounded almost constantly by people who think that Metroid Prime is the standard to which Other M failed to live up to in almost every regard.

I'm not being confrontational, here. I'm honestly curious. I could identify, in theory; I hear enough peopel shitting on some of my favorite games that that feeling of being in the midst of meaningless cacophony is familiar.

Oh... well yes, I don't mind being, er, one of the odd men out.  The truly enlightened are usually in the minority. ;)

I think Prime got a lot right, but it's 1st person perspective still fundamentally impeded a full transition to was a full 3D Metroid should encompass.  It's great game, no question, but I still maintain it's only "half a Metroid" in a sense, and Other M's design really brings it closer.  Sadly, Other M's hamstrung design and progression really means it doesn't end up feeling like a Metroid itself until the (awesome) post game.

jarrod said:
Khuutra said:
jarrod said:
Khuutra said:

You are avoiding my question, Jarrod, by reiterating the elements that make the question valid

Why acknowledge a question based on a false premise?  I'm hardly alone in having criticisms with the Prime formula, or in wanting a Metroid 2 remake (the game needs it, badly).

Being the odd man out means that you are in the minority (about Metroid Prime and its faithfulness in particular), not that yo uare alone in your opinions. I would never be so stupid as to pretend that someone is alone in holding a particular value set.

What I mean is that Metroid Prime is generally held up as an almost perfect 3-D rendition of the Metroid formula, particularly by gamers at large (and yes, by that I mean that Metroid diehards may differ on this point). You're surrounded almost constantly by people who think that Metroid Prime is the standard to which Other M failed to live up to in almost every regard.

I'm not being confrontational, here. I'm honestly curious. I could identify, in theory; I hear enough peopel shitting on some of my favorite games that that feeling of being in the midst of meaningless cacophony is familiar.

Oh... well yes, I don't mind being, er, one of the odd men out.  The truly enlightened are usually in the minority. ;)

I think Prime got a lot right, but it's 1st person perspective still fundamentally impeded a full transition to was a full 3D Metroid should encompass.  It's great game, no question, but I still maintain it's only "half a Metroid" in a sense, and Other M's design really brings it closer.  Sadly, Other M's hamstrung design and progression really means it doesn't end up feeling like a Metroid itself until the (awesome) post game.

Prime did indeed have a different feel, certainly, similar to how things changed from 2D Mario to 3D Mario. Things got slower and took longer to do (epic-length bossfights with enemies that could take a huge beating, but you could too), whereas things were generally more fragile in the 2D Metroid world. Arguably Other M made them a bit too fragile (Samus especially), but everything just progressed quicker

Though i'm obliged to remind readers of this that Prime remains my favorite game ever.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

@ Demotruk. Yes, but a few hundred thousands make the difference between 1,5 Mio and 2 Mio ;) of course, Prime sold great for a Metroid game. but it got some boost, other games don´t have...

darkgemini said:

@ Demotruk. Yes, but a few hundred thousands make the difference between 1,5 Mio and 2 Mio ;) of course, Prime sold great for a Metroid game. but it got some boost, other games don´t have...

It doesn't make the difference between that and nearly three million though...

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

What I  mean, without the bundle, Prime would have sold about 2.2 - 2.0 Mio. And I think these are realistic numbers for the first game in a trilogy. Nintendo could have expected sales numbers about 1,5 - 2 Mio, and THESE are the expectations (to my mind), for Other M , too. I don´t believe, that they really expected, Other M will sell more than 3 Mio units. maybe they hoped it, but it´s a difference between hoping and expecting. Especially, when you look at Team Ninja sales, too. none of their games sold ever more than 2 Mio units! So why should they expect from a franchise, which has average sales about 1.5 Mio and a developer, who has average sales of about 1 Mio exploding sales about 3 Mio? Other M will make a profit, not as big as they hoped, but it will.

Many people don´t liek the prime trilogy, too. Some people always have to complain, it´s ok. There won´t be a game everybody likes... And now they hyped it up (I love the trilogy, but I love OM , too ^^)