Platinum Games (Madworld, Vanquish) 18 11.18%

Retro Studios (Metroid prime) 54 33.54%

Vanillaware (Muramasa) 15 9.32%

Grasshopper Manufacture (No more Heroes) 4 2.48%

Internal EAD 48 29.81%

Other (please specify) 22 13.66%

Total:161
Helios said:

What does 'value' have to do with authority? The market can reject a game, yes, but that has nothing to do with Nintendo's authority over its contents. Nintendo can chose to pander to the masses, but they do not have to, nor should they, necessarily. It is a red herring to pretend that authorial intent is (or should be) a product of corporate interests, or vice versa.

As to your second point, I'm a bit lost, actually. My point was that the early Metroid games had some amount of characterization, and that it was meaningful.

This harangue of yours... Yes? That's one way of approaching the issue (though I think your example is rather poor - Frodo is purposly distanced from the reader at the end of the story). A valid one, but by no means the only one; Lolita being a particularly famous example of a work with a distinctly un-relatable protagonist.

I argue only from the frame of Nintendo's interests. I don't see any reason to argue from any other point of view, since they are the ones who would make any decisions. Nintendo own the legal rights to publish works that are based upon a character or IP, but that does not mean they are an authority over the ideas people have, which is where Samus really exists. If the public reject Nintendo's ideas of Samus, they are not the authority on who Samus is, which is different from a legal right to an IP.

I was expanding upon why characterization is an issue in a game, and that it is not my position that ALL characterization is necessarily bad. Lolita is a character based novel, I talked about TLotR because it is an events based story, like the majority of video games. The role a protagonist plays in both is different because they are both being read to serve different interests. If/when character based video game stories become realistic, it'll be interesting to see how they will be done, but they aren't right now and Metroid certainly isn't bought for the personalities involved.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

For the record, my ideal Metroid is not driven by a focus on heavy handed narrative or cut scenes.

The 2D Metroids are some of the best games when it comes to relaying a story and a sense of meaning without any dialogue. Running into the dead soldier outside Kraid's lair in Super Metroid is one of my favorite examples because it not only foreshadows the great battle to come, but is a very real reminder that you are not just fighting for yourself. In this way, Super Metroid communicates most of its story through level and boss design, and I find that very rewarding.

More of that, please.

Edit: Developed by Good-Feel and Nintendo. Authentic 2D, yes...

mai said:

Retro and/or internal EAD.

Exactly

Khuutra said:

Mechanically I think the game would work well in the hands of Team Ninja, though design decisions (and art, and music, and story, etc.) should be handled by Retro Studios.

Did Miyamoto supervise the first Metroid Prime? I would want him attached, if so.

I haven't played Metroid Other M: But the story of Metroid Prime 3 was absolutely terrible. Why do you think Retro Studios should do it?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

SnakeEyez said:

The guys that made this game

They made Other M.

I agree with whoever said stick with SPD1/Team Ninja.  They have a great engine and interface to work with (leagues better than Prime) and it could be easily ported to 3DS.  Let them hash it out on a Metroid 2 remake, and they'll be able to circumvent Other M's design flaws and deliver what's arguably the best game in the series (like Zero Mission did for Fusion).

Around the Network
jarrod said:

They made Other M.

I agree with whoever said stick with SPD1/Team Ninja.  They have a great engine and interface to work with (leagues better than Prime) and it could be easily ported to 3DS.  Let them hash it out on a Metroid 2 remake, and they'll be able to circumvent Other M's design flaws and deliver what's arguably the best game in the series (like Zero Mission did for Fusion).

Jarrod I have to ask you

What is it like being the odd man out when it comes to Metroid Prime?

Much less the odd man out when it comes to wanting Sakamoto to handle a Metroid 2 remake

Khuutra said:
jarrod said:

They made Other M.

Jarrod I have to ask you

Much less the odd man out when it comes to wanting Sakamoto to handle a Metroid 2 remake

Other M's mechanics are unquestionably "more Metroid" than Prime imo.  Where it falls down is in it's narrative, progression and world design.

Those were also the areas where Fusion fumbled somewhat for series fans, but then we got the spectacular Zero Mission out of it.  I think a Metroid 2 remake using the Other M template would probably lead to similar results.

jarrod said:
Khuutra said:

Jarrod I have to ask you

Other M's mechanics are unquestionably "more Metroid" than Prime imo.  Where it falls down is in it's narrative, progression and world design.

Those were also the areas where Fusion fumbled somewhat for series fans, but then we got the spectacular Zero Mission out of it.  I think a Metroid 2 remake using the Other M template would probably lead to similar results.

You are avoiding my question, Jarrod, by reiterating the elements that make the question valid

Khuutra said:
jarrod said:
Khuutra said:

Jarrod I have to ask you

You are avoiding my question, Jarrod, by reiterating the elements that make the question valid

Why acknowledge a question based on a false premise?  I'm hardly alone in having criticisms with the Prime formula, or in wanting a Metroid 2 remake (the game needs it, badly).

jarrod said:
Khuutra said:

Why acknowledge a question based on a false premise?  I'm hardly alone in having criticisms with the Prime formula, or in wanting a Metroid 2 remake (the game needs it, badly).

Being the odd man out means that you are in the minority (about Metroid Prime and its faithfulness in particular), not that yo uare alone in your opinions. I would never be so stupid as to pretend that someone is alone in holding a particular value set.

What I mean is that Metroid Prime is generally held up as an almost perfect 3-D rendition of the Metroid formula, particularly by gamers at large (and yes, by that I mean that Metroid diehards may differ on this point). You're surrounded almost constantly by people who think that Metroid Prime is the standard to which Other M failed to live up to in almost every regard.

I'm not being confrontational, here. I'm honestly curious. I could identify, in theory; I hear enough peopel shitting on some of my favorite games that that feeling of being in the midst of meaningless cacophony is familiar.