next Metroid developer

Platinum Games (Madworld, Vanquish) 18 11.18%

Retro Studios (Metroid prime) 54 33.54%

Vanillaware (Muramasa) 15 9.32%

Grasshopper Manufacture (No more Heroes) 4 2.48%

Internal EAD 48 29.81%

Other (please specify) 22 13.66%

Total:161

I am very skeptical that bundles made up more than 2-3 hundred thousand units, which would put Prime still well above any game in the series other than the original.

Reggie said he expected it to break the 1.5-2 million bar, and the interviewer said that it seemed to be regarding US sales alone. Many Metroid titles have gotten past 1.5 million worldwide, so that wouldn't be a very significant bar. They talked about expanding Metroid's audience, hence the Wii remote only control scheme, it is clear that was their goal, they just failed.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

it failed? And you know that because you´re able to see the future? Or why do you know, that this game won´t have legs?

Have you really expected, that people, who ´ve never played a Metroid game before, buy this on day 1?!

Only time will tell....

And you´ve already said it: It SEEMED that he was talking about the US alone. :rolleyes: Do I have to say more? ^^

darkgemini said:

it failed? And you know that because you´re able to see the future? Or why do you know, that this game won´t have legs?

Have you really expected, that people, who ´ve never played a Metroid game before, buy this on day 1?!

Only time will tell....

And you´ve already said it: It SEEMED that he was talking about the US alone. :rolleyes: Do I have to say more? ^^

THe first few weeks can usually be taken as a good indicator of longterm sales when compared to other games in the same series.

Metroid Other M has moved 22,000 units in its fifth week, bringing its total number up to 480k.

In comparison, Corruption - which was released at roughly the same time - sold 48,000 in its fifth week.

Other M sales fell over 25% from week 4 to week 5, whereas Corruption's sales fell less than 6% over the same period.

Other M is falling faster and harder than its modern predecessors. This is a good indication of its long-term viability. For comparison's sake, Corruption didn't hit 22,000 sold in a week until week 11. It didn't go under that until week 19.

darkgemini said:

Only time will tell....

Yeah, I see the future of this quite clearly. The game is dropping off fast and does not appear to have made any sort of progress in the expanded audience (because it's values do not align with them). Sakamoto made a birdman attempt to expand the audience.

"So, yes, I always want to attract more players to the Metroid franchise. Giving clear cut directions in terms of where they should go next, through dialogue and drama scenes, is something that we thought would help with that. But it was more about us wanting to include some in-game narrative outside of just the story scenes. Now, I have to admit that yes I wanted to cater to the needs of casual players. Metroid games have always been created so that players can sense where they should go next but that’s a skill of the veteran players and must be hard for newcomers." - Sakamoto

And yes, you do have to say more, because merely emphasizing one word out of three agreeing statements of evidence does not refute them.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Team Ninja

Around the Network

Whichever of those developers listed is more interested in making a game than the epic story, that's who I'd choose.

$49.99 was way too much money for me to spend on that badly written Metroid movie.   

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

@ khuutra. OM Sales are much less than the one from corruption, because of europe. And searching an new audience doesn´t happen in a few weeks, it needs time. Of course, it is an indicator. But it can be an indicator, that many people will buy this game later. When Shattered Memories was released on wii, everbody said, it has poor sales. Now it looks like it will sell more units than homecoming on xbox360, which means it will sell 7 times more than in its first week.

the first weeks are an indicator. nothing more. It can be right, and it can be wrong. I won´t make the mistake to judge about a game, being successful or a failure, too early ...

@ Demotruk. And what does it proof? Nothing ! I said, too, that they wanted to expand the audience. Expanding doesn´t mean 2 mio units sold in the US alone. Sorry, but you need better statements :o

darkgemini said:

@ khuutra. OM Sales are much less than the one from corruption, because of europe. And searching an new audience doesn´t happen in a few weeks, it needs time. Of course, it is an indicator. But it can be an indicator, that many people will buy this game later. When Shattered Memories was released on wii, everbody said, it has poor sales. Now it looks like it will sell more units than homecoming on xbox360, which means it will sell 7 times more than in its first week.

the first weeks are an indicator. nothing more. It can be right, and it can be wrong. I won´t make the mistake to judge about a game, being successful or a failure, too early ...

@ Demotruk. And what does it proof? Nothing ! I said, too, that they wanted to expand the audience. Expanding doesn´t mean 2 mio units sold in the US alone. Sorry, but you need better statements :o

I'm not using first week numbers here.

Generally the trend for evergreen Wii titles is that they do not have a sharp drop-off and they sustain their numbers better than front-loaded games.

Other M is much more front-loaded than Corruption so far.

I think we´re getting to the point, when we start repeating, so let´s continue this discussion , well, about christmas time? Then we have numbers we can look at ^^

I predict it will reach about 700k - 800k at the end of the year...

Lifetime, it will sell a little bit less than Corruption in the NA, in already 2 weeks it will sell more (!) than corruption in Japan. The only unknown factor is Europe, poor start, maybe it will have legs.... we will see....

darkknightkryta said:
Khuutra said:
darkknightkryta said:

Just let Foxhound (or whatver Kojima's internal name is for his dev team) make the next Metroid game

I have never been more terrified by an idea so much in my life.

Kojima is not a good fit for Metroid

Like I said the first 15 minutes or so that I played of the game (Still have to get through other games first before I can get back to Other M) it seems like they wanted a big Hollywood Blockbuster, and well who else better than Kojima? But yeah seriously Team Ninja did a fine job, change the people from Nintendo that wrote the dialogue.

Do you want a Metroid game or movie? The way Kojima has been going with the Metal Gear Solid series, the amount of cutscenes has increased drastically since the first Metal Gear Solid. Hell, when I am bored at work I youtube "Metal Gear Solid 4 cutscenes" and have close to an hour of video game movie time.

As much as I loathe Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer, the single player was about as close to feeling like I was in a movie than in any other game I have played.

Kojima's cutscenes are nice, but they trend on the melodramatic, conspiracy theory weird...at least with Metal Gear Solid. I don't mind the conspiracy theory in video games because nothing is real in video games, but the melodrama puts me to sleep real quickly.