By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe PS3 Will Be #1 Selling Console In 2011 What Do You Believe In?

johnglen said:

Why the hell would Japan "signal" trends for the west ??  Seriously WTF....???

When we are talking of japanese technology, japan does in many instance "signal" trends. It will work there first, and if it does, it will probably works here. I guess this is bound to change, since more and more non japanese companies are developing new technologies.

Around the Network
johnglen said:

I believe that these threads are for morale -boosting so that some people will find the strength to endure the remaining NPDs of 2010.

We are in the beginning of October , with the most important months of the year , concerning sales, yet to come ...but let's forget that and start talking about how , surprise surprise , the ps3 will rule all...next year !!!!

again this isnt youtube. the ps3 is doing fine. it beat the wii for the last two weeks. and this is a discussion thread.

arghhh new people.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

You can't use last years PS3 growth to suggest that it will continue to grow next year when right now it's down year to year. Last year the PS3 got a redesign and a huge price cute. Niether of those things are going to happen again. It might get a slightly larger harddrive or Move in the box and it might get a small price reduction, but it's never going to get the boost it did last year. As for it being number 1 in 2011 I don't see that happening either. If they drop the price, even a little, MS and Nintendo will do the same. Even if Move suprises everyone and sells more than it's meager numbers right now it will still have to compete with Kinect which at the very least should give Xbox 360 the same kind of boost. Next year should look a lot like this year.

A lot of the exclusives listed for the PS3 were sequels. Don't sequels typically give a much smaller bump in hardware sales, since generally speaking people often already bought the console for the original? (ex: SMG 2 vs. SMG). Anyway, I also agree that it's far too early to call this, as there is scant information on what either Nintendo or Microsoft have planned for 2011. I will say that I believe that for Sony what has the most potential to drive sales is Move, and Microsoft Kinect. I think the success of those add-ons will determine which one comes out on top next year. I am very curious to see what Nintendo has planned (I would assume they have something). They're just so damn secretive!

Bah!

kain_kusanagi said:

You can't use last years PS3 growth to suggest that it will continue to grow next year when right now it's down year to year. Last year the PS3 got a redesign and a huge price cute. Niether of those things are going to happen again. It might get a slightly larger harddrive or Move in the box and it might get a small price reduction, but it's never going to get the boost it did last year. As for it being number 1 in 2011 I don't see that happening either. If they drop the price, even a little, MS and Nintendo will do the same. Even if Move suprises everyone and sells more than it's meager numbers right now it will still have to compete with Kinect which at the very least should give Xbox 360 the same kind of boost. Next year should look a lot like this year.

Even though it is down YOY, it's been up week to week very consistently for a long time now.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Japan usually signals trends first and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be the case now. The PS3 is already beating the Wii there, so it's not improbable that it will do the same worldwide next year. But it's not going to happen because the PS3 will be selling like crazy, rather because the Wii will be down by so much. Just like in Japan.

Pretty much this. Sometimes other's incopetence is your best wepon (take that Ninty!)

Above: still the best game of the year.

You're a bit too obsessed over the sales of the PS3. You always try to spin news in the PS3s direction positively and just look at your sig, you actually get upset/angry when it isn't at least outselling the Xbox 360.

As for the topic at hand...

It's really hard to tell which console is going to be the top selling console next year. I have been here since 2006 and if you look at the threads made over the years each and every console has had its generation winning parade and its doomsday parade. All of them have been temporary things eventually thrown off by a move from the competitive companies.

It is of course possible that the PS3 could be the top selling console next year, but what I'm saying is that someone else could easily make the argument that the Wii or Xbox 360 will be the top selling console of next year as well. I'm not really sold  based on the original topic that the PS3 will out sell the Xbox 360/Wii. I think Nintendo especially have been quiet for a long time and are long overdue with a big Wii announcement. I think the Xbox 360 can still have a price cut and add value to the box. I think the PS3 will have a price cut as well and sales will jump. All these things will boost sales for each console but what you have to realize is that the other companies aren't just going to stand by and watch, they're going to make big moves too. It all comes down to which move will have the biggest impact.

kain_kusanagi said:

Dont forget that last year revision was accompanied with a 100$ reduction (from 399$ to 299$). We can safely say a big percentage of the sales were because of the pricecut, not the revision. Its not like the revision actually add something. Next price cut will not be as big, as some fan re-purchase a slim PS3, but surely in the same ball park.

PS3 is taking over in 2008 (My friend Nick)

You watch EVERYONE is gonna have a PS3 in 2009 (some gamestop employee he even tried to get me to buy a PS3 and sell all my Xbox 360 games and console ROFL)

2010... ps will take over (internetz)

Now...

I believe PS3 will be the #1 selling console in 2011 (BHR-3)

It's getting old...

I'll tell you what I believe... I believe some people need to take a break around here.

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.

Calmador said:

PS3 is taking over in 2008 (My friend Nick)

You watch EVERYONE is gonna have a PS3 in 2009 (some gamestop employee he even tried to get me to buy a PS3 and sell all my Xbox 360 games and console ROFL)

2010... ps will take over (internetz)

Now...

I believe PS3 will be the #1 selling console in 2011 (BHR-3)

It's getting old...

I'll tell you what I believe... I believe some people need to take a break around here.

Maybe BHR-3 didnt say that in 2008-9-10. I know I didnt. For 2011, with the current Wii performance and 2011 PS3 exclusives it doesnt seem that much impossible as compare to 2008-9-10. We still lack some informations though, how kinect will be received and what Nintendo have up their sleeves for Wii in 2011.