By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Galaki said:
mai said:

Why just do not launch few SKUs in price range of $200-300, differentiated by internal memory size, 3G-connectivity or whatever features?

No. Just no.

Hehe, why not? =)

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
megaman79 said:

How to save money on the 3DS

- No interactive play cards

- No Memory Cards

- No charger base

- Plastic stylus (the new one looks like its metal)

- Wait untill Feb/Mar when hopefully the US dollar has recovered some of its value, or untill the Yen has depreciated a bit

- No demo disc (probable)

- Charge 250$ BUT include a full game with it (something cheaper to develop and an amazing example of the tech - I heard Pilotwings Resort is frigging phenomenal. How about a Wii Sports 3D? )

- Charge 250$ BUT include a free film with it (Avatar possibly, but more likely Toy Story 3, since a bundle deal promoting Disney media could be a huge potential marketing deal for both companies).

ALL of these are highly probable, especially when you consider how much of the Jap. package is seemingly irrelivent to the system itself.

I'm curious what makes you think either one of those things will happen. The yen is likely to stay where it is or even appreciate some more.

A - Japans Prime Minister assured the market that they would actually take proactive measures in order to drop the Yen as soon as possible.

B - There will be no second recession in the US. Many economists are agreeing that this a true statement, and given that there is ATLEAST some positive news coming out of the state, I would tend to agree that we will see more growth over time.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I believe this has to be stated: THERE HAS BEEN NO PRICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR AMERICA OR EUROPE.

And let's see how Nintendo handled past hardware pricing.

The Wii launched in Japan at 25,000 Yen (~$216), it was released in USA at $250 along with a pack-game.
The original DS model launched at 15,000 Yen (~146), it was released in USA at $150.
The DS lite launched at 16,800 Yen (~$145), it was released in USA at $130.
The DSi launched at 18,900 Yen (~$193), it was released in USA at $170.
The DSi XL launched at 20,000 Yen (~$225), it was released in USA at $190.

I believe it can be can be assumed it will not retail for $300.

Nintendogamer said:

meh I can easily afford that.

Can you afford it for everyone else on the site?

With the DS still selling as well as it is I'm not entirely surprised they have kept the price relatively high. 

Most early adopters will be willing to pay the premium price in order to get their hands on the lastest handheld tech and anyone who doesn't have, or isn't willing to put up $250(?), for the latest handheld has many other options in the DS range.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
mundus6 said:

300 in Japan means 250 in USA tops. Seriously everything is cheaper in USA, i can buy PS3 games from USA for half the price they cost here in Europe...

it's probably cheaper in japan because sony actually compete with nintendo in japan..

in the states nintendo dominates, so they can launch at a higher price and get even higher sales than in japan...

it could be $299 in the states...

No a DS costs more in Japan than a Xbox 360 arcade does in USA.

saicho said:
thx1139 said:
saicho said:
thx1139 said:

DS sales are driven by parents picking up something for kids to waste time with during boring tasks for kids.  I have 3 kids and they get to play DS when they are on long car rides or waiting like at a Dr. office sort of things.  No way I would pickup 3 of those until they are closer to $100.

How many DS/DSi/DSiLL do your kids have?

3 kids 3 DS.  Does that seem extreme to you? I dont know any parents that have the kids share DS's.

DS is not that close to $100 and you already got 3 which just proves that you would buy them at a higher price. Maybe not $250 but probably would start buying one at sub $200. :)

I bought all 3 of them a couple of years back when ShopNBC.COM had a special deal on the DS. Believe I got them for $99.99.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

c03n3nj0 said:

I think $250 is too much for a handheld. 

If I will buy the system, i'd rather wait for my birthday a year later or wait for the price to drop. 

Also, the games better cost as much as DS games. 

I think the games will probably be like $40 average, so about $5 more than a typical 1st-party DS game. I think $229-$249 is perfectly reasonable price for the device (it won't be above $250 here...there's clearly some psychological issue with breaking that barrier in the States), but I think it might be on the higher end as other have said, to be able to keep up with demand. I have a feeling that this is going to fly off the shelves nonetheless.

Bah!

thx1139 said:
saicho said:
thx1139 said:
saicho said:
thx1139 said:

DS sales are driven by parents picking up something for kids to waste time with during boring tasks for kids.  I have 3 kids and they get to play DS when they are on long car rides or waiting like at a Dr. office sort of things.  No way I would pickup 3 of those until they are closer to $100.

How many DS/DSi/DSiLL do your kids have?

3 kids 3 DS.  Does that seem extreme to you? I dont know any parents that have the kids share DS's.

DS is not that close to $100 and you already got 3 which just proves that you would buy them at a higher price. Maybe not $250 but probably would start buying one at sub $200. :)

I bought all 3 of them a couple of years back when ShopNBC.COM had a special deal on the DS. Believe I got them for $99.99.

That's one hell of a deal and doesn't happen that often though. I bought a DSL a couple years back for $100 and I already thought it's a deal. Even in Canada, I don't think it's regularly on sale for CAD $99 or even $109 and that's for DSL. We are not even talking about DSi or DSi LL.

I do agree that it wouldn't be too practical for parents to buy 3DS for several kids at launch price (even at $249). At the same time, DS is gonna last for q while so there is really no need to grab a 3DS for all your kids at launch. :)

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

CGI-Quality said:
ElGranCabeza said:
patjuan32 said:
CGI-Quality said:
patjuan32 said:
CGI-Quality said:
patjuan32 said:
sergiodaly said:
skeezer said:

I'm 99% sure it'll be 249 here in the states....which is still too high comparing it to a Wii for 199 and PS3 for 299.

this!

The 3DS has technology that the Wii, Xbox 360, and the PS3 do not have.

It does?

Yes!

Such as?

It's take too long to explain all the technical stuff. I'd rather you research the product for yourself. Then you want have to wonder if I'm misleading you.

Lol I love the 3DS, but besides obvious handheld features like motion and 3D screen, you're full of shit. 

Little harsh, no?

A little warning to everyone doing the short/one word replies, that's considdered spam, it's not really needed thanks.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000