By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Oh well. I guess I'm going to have to get a 2nd job. :(

Around the Network

I think it would be a big mistake to price it at $300. if they do I think that would be against the way they´ve always worked their handhelds. I don´t think it will fail by any means but I don´t see it being nearly as successful as the ds. and it would take a big hit in market share

I think that for a nintendo handheld even 250 would be too much. it is way over what they´ve priced them before. 200 would be fine though.

I think $250 makes sense from a business/finanical perspective. With the recent DS price cuts and the reveal that some more mid-sized DS games are still being made, the DS could still continue to sell as a viable alternative for some time with the 3DS at $250. Along with like others have said, it makes sense to price higher until level of demand is discovered, unlike the Wii which was sold out for so long. But I think If the 3DS comes in at $300 that just opens up too much room for the PSP2. I think the 3DS would be fine being the same price as the PSP2 or even $50 more, but if it was $100 more, I think the PSP2 could really increase its marketshare.

$250 is really pushing it, but I think Nintendo can pull it off.

If it's $300, then I'm concerned that Nintendo may be overshooting the market. Gaming enthusiasts will be perfectly willing to pay another $50 for 3D and the game library, but parents who want to distract their kids will be more inclined to buy a $230 iPod Touch with $5 games than a $300 3DS with $30 games.

I guess Nintendo can always sell the parents DSis until the cost goes down on the 3DS.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
sergiodaly said:
skeezer said:

I'm 99% sure it'll be 249 here in the states....which is still too high comparing it to a Wii for 199 and PS3 for 299.

this!

You are comparing a next gen console to consoles that have been on the market for almost four years? In that case why buy the Xbox 360 back in '05 when an Xbox, Gamecube, or PS2 were significantly cheaper. They were also cheaper than the Wii and PS3 which launched in '06. They also had larger libraries and enough used games to fill a gamer's desire. This same argument could be made for the GBA versus the DS and PSP.

The 3DS has technology that the Wii, Xbox 360, and the PS3 do not have. If you want to experience it then buy it if you do not then you do not have to buy it. People who wanted to experience what all the Xbox 360 and PS3 had to offer went out and purchased HD televisions. People who want to experience The Move and Kinetic are going to go out and purchase those devices. The Ipad, Ipod touch, Iphone and other smart phones cost money and people are willing to pay for the experience. The 3DS will be no different from those devices. People will pay for the experience.

famousringo,

Parents purchased launch PS2s, Xboxes, Wiis, Xbo 360s, and some purchased launch PS3s. A lot of parents are early adopters and are into technology. For example, look at the Smart phone business, it's booming. Not all of smart phone sales are to just adults. Parents will buy these gadgets for their kids.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

CGI-Quality said:
patjuan32 said:
sergiodaly said:
skeezer said:

I'm 99% sure it'll be 249 here in the states....which is still too high comparing it to a Wii for 199 and PS3 for 299.

this!

The 3DS has technology that the Wii, Xbox 360, and the PS3 do not have.

It does?

Yes!

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

I agree with most people that the $299 price would be too high obviously. Makes no sense. I guessed the Wii would be $250 and I was right. I believe the 3DS will be between $229 - 239

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

How to save money on the 3DS

- No interactive play cards

- No Memory Cards

- No charger base

- Plastic stylus (the new one looks like its metal)

- Wait untill Feb/Mar when hopefully the US dollar has recovered some of its value, or untill the Yen has depreciated a bit

- No demo disc (probable)

- Charge 250$ BUT include a full game with it (something cheaper to develop and an amazing example of the tech - I heard Pilotwings Resort is frigging phenomenal. How about a Wii Sports 3D? )

- Charge 250$ BUT include a free film with it (Avatar possibly, but more likely Toy Story 3, since a bundle deal promoting Disney media could be a huge potential marketing deal for both companies).

ALL of these are highly probable, especially when you consider how much of the Jap. package is seemingly irrelivent to the system itself.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

CGI-Quality said:
patjuan32 said:
CGI-Quality said:
patjuan32 said:

The 3DS has technology that the Wii, Xbox 360, and the PS3 do not have.

It does?

Yes!

Such as?

Glassless 3D maybe x_X