By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More 3ds specs leaked

haxxiy said:
Viper1 said:

The CPU is used just to power the multimedia functions.  It's not a gaming CPU at all.

Indeed but one would figure out an eight-generation  handheld like the 3DS should sustain some features besides gaming. In these days it would be pretty lame to have an bland interface like the original DS.

Check out the DSi interface instead.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

RE4 on PS2 used recorded GC video footage simply because it was far easier to do so.  2 minutes of work versus several days of coding.  And you get a better quality cut scene in the process.

I see plenty of other games that do the same thing now.

What I mean is that would the RAM had had to quickly load either the success or failure of the "press X not to die" at a moments notice? And if the issue wasn't the loading, how could that have worked around it?

And I'd still like to know if texture compression was the issue with the graphics.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

RE4 on PS2 used recorded GC video footage simply because it was far easier to do so.  2 minutes of work versus several days of coding.  And you get a better quality cut scene in the process.

What I mean is that would the RAM had had to quickly load either the success or failure of the "press X not to die" at a moments notice? And if the issue wasn't the loading, how could that have worked around it?

And I'd still like to know if texture compression was the issue with the graphics.

Lower polygon processing power played a bigger role than textures did. 

QTE's could simply be loaded into RAM while the video was being played.

Viper1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

1. Okay, to the PS2 couldn't push as many polygons in that situation. But what caused the textures to look less colorful?

2. I meant that since the GC version didn't use video in those scenes, could the PS2 version have not used video at all in those scenes and still keep the same loading times.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:

1. Okay, to the PS2 couldn't push as many polygons in that situation. But what caused the textures to look less colorful?

2. I meant that since the GC version didn't use video in those scenes, could the PS2 version have not used video at all in those scenes and still keep the same loading times.

textures used software compression, the cost was color depth, plus it had to use a much more aggressive mipmapping

for 2 I don't understand what your asking exactly

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network
scottie said:
disolitude said:
scottie said:

Edit: Oh, and the conclusion on the internets (ie forums where people go to do nothing but discuss computer parts) is that the Tegra gets shown up by the video chip announced for the 3DS

Show me, I want to see...

Also, looks like the Xbox 1 GPU edges the 3DS gpu slightly in fill rate and triangles per second. Wikipedia specs for each as source...

http://gbatemp.net/t244601-why-the-pica-200

Yeah, you are right actually that the xbox gpu has the 3DS one beat. I think the processor story will be different. Oh well, much smaller screen leads to vastly superior looking games for the 3DS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3bvrvJYyo

We don't have specs for the Pica200 used in 3DS.  The last published specs we have for a Pica200 chip are from 2008, so pretty outdated.  It's possible 3DS is using that variant, but it's also possible it's using a newer model.  From 2006 to 2008, the Pica200 essentially doubled it's geometry output at relative clock speeds and footprints for comparison.

That said, Capcom said they've ported an advanced version of MT Framework to 3DS, and are able to run effects like normal maps, dynamic/self shadowing, gamma/color correction, depth of field, 2xAA, HDR rendering, per object motion blur, etc, etc.  Many of these are effects that were never even accomplished on Xbox 1 (per object motion blur has only been done on 360/PS3/PC before afaik, no other mobile platform has ever done it in engine), and honestly RE Revelations (a pre-release alpha at this point) is pushing more technology than even fourth gen Xbox games like Doom 3, Conker or Riddick were.  It's really a little beast of a GPU from what we've seen.

LordTheNightKnight said:

1. Masschamber covered this.  Also the fact the GC has a 6 pass texture pipeline while the PS2 is single pass.  The differnce being that the GC can render 6 texture maps on a single polygon every render pass but the PS2 has to redraw the polygon 6 times to get the same 6 texture maps on teh polygon.  So as a perfomance hit, the PS2 edition had to reduce some of the texture maps.

2. I believe the God Of War series has the same type of QTE's so I imagine it would have bee possible to do the QTE's on PS2 the same way GC did but they chose to expedite development (and gain a visual boost) but just using recorded GC video.

Just finished reading the thread and you guys are making Viper work way too hard on the fingers lol. 3DS was never meant to push the best, newest, and fastest mobile hardware avaliable while still keeping the actual cutting edge part that is the 3D screen both at the reasonable price mark that they'd want it in and make good profits at the same time. I'm actually happy that they are not going to sell us another PSP or PSPGo(Price vs Hardware wise.) Few things, Pica200 is on a fixed pipeline, it doesn't have programmable pipelines, it has advanced features in the pipelines though, which is more than enough to make very good looking games that something like the Nv2 in the original Xbox would never be able to achieve at the sametime on screen no matter how hard it worked, overclocked, or burn into ashes while trying to. It will also be able to push effects that the Wii can't do efficiently of course since the Wii is also on a fixed pipeline design that's way older, the future is looking pretty good imo, the only real problem I have is that it doesn't have a second slider on the right side, but I guess we can use the touch screen for that.

disolitude said:
MDMAniac said:

3DS is much more powerfull than ps360. Because it can 3D without stupid glasses and without expensive TV. That's its true power, not an amount of GBs in the storage.

Different strokes for different folks.

You can enjoy the 3.5 inch 3D screen on  the 3DS without glasses. I like mine on a 92 inch projector screen I have at home, with glasses...

I'd like to see  that 92 inch projector screen without glasses.

dahuman said:

Just finished reading the thread and you guys are making Viper work way too hard on the fingers lol. 3DS was never meant to push the best, newest, and fastest mobile hardware avaliable while still keeping the actual cutting edge part that is the 3D screen both at the reasonable price mark that they'd want it in and make good profits at the same time. I'm actually happy that they are not going to sell us another PSP or PSPGo(Price vs Hardware wise.) Few things, Pica200 is on a fixed pipeline, it doesn't have programmable pipelines, it has advanced features in the pipelines though, which is more than enough to make very good looking games that something like the Nv2 in the original Xbox would never be able to achieve at the sametime on screen no matter how hard it worked, overclocked, or burn into ashes while trying to. It will also be able to push effects that the Wii can't do efficiently of course since the Wii is also on a fixed pipeline design that's way older, the future is looking pretty good imo, the only real problem I have is that it doesn't have a second slider on the right side, but I guess we can use the touch screen for that.

one of the reason I rarely post, trying to explain tech specs is frequently like talking to a brick wall. Trying to explain at ign why halo 2600 was really impressive for the hardware despite its appearance was a testamony to the difficulty.  Anway Your right though about the pica, but devs seem to be using pretty effectively already. As far as how it compares with say the ipod or iphone's powerVR sgx depends on how robust maestro is, geometry seems similar if not better in some pica 200 models, but hardware effects will really be the deciding factor and comparing the gpu (though the dedicated vram will help the 3ds quite a bit), the iOS stuff probably have an advantage the cpu given they have a faster armv7, but it could be mitagated if the arm core is optimized for gaming,  comparison with the zune is more or less similar. plus as mentioned earlier it probably won't be running a fairly bulky OS in the background

anyway the design is clearly designed to be power concious, as I think nintendo put priority on making it look great on a small screen instead of sacrificing their always sucessful model to make the games look good on a giant screen

also as far as sony being able to easily top it with the psp2, maybe, maybe not, heat dissapation and power consumption will get pretty high pretty quickly if they try to blow out the 3ds in terms of power, plus they might have to abandon back compatibility if they wish to use arm architecture (the psp used MIPS archeticure, similar to but more advanced than the 64)

anyway if these are the true final components, (though earlier patents pertaining to the 3ds imply dual gpu's and dual v ram) we still don;t know all of the exact details about the models, as mentioned earlier the pica200 is a line of processor as s the  the arm11,  anyway the 3ds will deliver great games that look great on the go, and isn't that all we really want out of a handheld

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!