By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More 3ds specs leaked

disolitude said:

Hardly any less...

If we take 3D in to account which I believe is manditory for the 3DS its pushing ~10% less pixels than the wii...

I think 3DS will still be prenty powerful for gaming, it just won't be cutting edge.

3D isn't mandatory.  That's why there is a 3D slider on the side.

As for pixels, the 3DS is rendering only about 66% of the pixels the Wii renders.

3DS: (800*240 = 192k) (320*240 = 76,800) = 268,800 pixels.
Wii: 854*480 = 409,920 pixels.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
disolitude said:

Hardly any less...

If we take 3D in to account which I believe is manditory for the 3DS its pushing ~10% less pixels than the wii...

I think 3DS will still be prenty powerful for gaming, it just won't be cutting edge.

3D isn't mandatory.  That's why there is a 3D slider on the side.

As for pixels, the 3DS is rendering only about 66% of the pixels the Wii renders.

3DS: (800*240 = 192k) (320*240 = 76,800) = 268,800 pixels.
Wii: 854*480 = 409,920 pixels.

Right, widescreen...I was using 640x480 4:3 when I was calculating the 10%...doh!

I'm pretty sure 3D is manditory for the game devs... Yes, the user can turn off the effect, but the game has to be optimized for it no?

scottie said:

Edit: Oh, and the conclusion on the internets (ie forums where people go to do nothing but discuss computer parts) is that the Tegra gets shown up by the video chip announced for the 3DS

Show me, I want to see...

Also, looks like the Xbox 1 GPU edges the 3DS gpu slightly in fill rate and triangles per second. Wikipedia specs for each as source...

The Arm 11 specs dont make much sense unless Nintendo scalled them back a lot. Direct specs form Arm's website. Just doing some research. I am still getting this damn thing day 1!

ARM11 Processor Family

The ARM11™ processor family provides the engine that powers most smartphones in production today; it is also widely used in consumer, home, and embedded applications. It delivers extreme low power and a range of performance from 350 MHz in small area designs up to 1 GHz in speed optimized designs in 45 and 65 nm. ARM11 processor software is compatible with all previous generations of ARM processors, and introduces 32-bit SIMD for media processing, physically tagged caches to improve OS context switch performance, TrustZone for hardware-enforced security, and tightly coupled memories for real-time applications.

direct link http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm11/index.php

Edited: After reading more on the ARM11 this could also have multiple cores 1-4 cores per chip.
"1 to 4 cores in an SMP cluster with ARM11 MPCore™"

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

disolitude said:
scottie said:

Ok, I'm basing my conclusions based on the 3DS having a better processor, memory that will inevitably be better (they don't really sell ram as shit as the stuff in the xbox1 any more) as well as having the 4 mb VRAM. You are basing your conclusion off what exactly?

There isn't enough info or benchmarks or games shown for the 3DS for you to base your opinion on those aspects.

I am basing my opinion on the fact that 3DS is very close to Zune HD spec wise and the few graphically advance Zune HD (project gotham racing for example) games are slightly better looking than PSP.

Don't forget that 3DS is pushing very close to 480p resolution with all the screens and is doing a lot of stuff at the same time. 2 screens, 3D on one screen with adjustable depth, touch screen...

I'd love to see how ARM11 processors GPU on the 3DS acompare to Pentium 3 and Nvidia 4 series GPU on the xbox...pound for pound processing, without worrying about battery consumption  :)

So there is enough info or benchmarks or games shown for the 3DS for you to base your opinion, but not enough for me to base mine on? How fair... 

Someone else worked it out - taking into account both screens it's 76% of a 480p resolution in terms of total number of pixels

And I suggest you look into glassesless 3D technology btw. It does not infact halve the framerate, as the PS3's 3d tech does. It halves the number of columns that are displayed for each image, and thus to display in the max possible resolution in both screens and in 3D for the 3D one, it still only needs to push out 76% as many pixels/second as the Wii.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

The "should be enough" isn't what I want to hear for a new 3D capable handheld :)

I doubt this thing will get a working PS2/dreamcas level emulator with these specs... I guess PSP2 may be better for that stuff.

The "should be enough" is the only right attitude for company who cares about their customers. Because it's games which are the real product here and tech is just a supplementary. Those unhapy specophiles like you looking for GHz and GBs may find 2nd job and buy tonz of PS3 to keep their life purposes fulfilled.

And honestly why should Ninty ever be concerned about how to get working PS2/DC emulator on their product?! I'm just speechless...

scottie said:

And I suggest you look into glassesless 3D technology btw. It does not infact halve the framerate, as the PS3's 3d tech does. It halves the number of columns that are displayed for each image, and thus to display in the max possible resolution in both screens and in 3D for the 3D one, it still only needs to push out 76% as many pixels/second as the Wii.

Glassesless tech works the same as polarized glases tech, except the polarization happens on the screen and not on the glasses.Its a form of interlacing, so I agree, frame rate doesn't have to be halved. However the console does need to render all the lines even if 3D is turned off by the user.

I guess time will tell when the games do start coming out. So far we've seen PS2/N64 ports and some impressive technical demos by capcom... I am hoping that you are right and that 3DS is one powerful machine to be honest. But the specs so far don't indicate its a generation ahead of Xbox or wii.

MDMAniac said:
disolitude said:

The "should be enough" isn't what I want to hear for a new 3D capable handheld :)

I doubt this thing will get a working PS2/dreamcas level emulator with these specs... I guess PSP2 may be better for that stuff.

The "should be enough" is the only right attitude for company who cares about their customers. Because it's games which are the real product here and tech is just a supplementary. Those unhapy specophiles like you looking for GHz and GBs may find 2nd job and buy tonz of PS3 to keep their life purposes fulfilled.

And honestly why should Ninty ever be concerned about how to get working PS2/DC emulator on their product?! I'm just speechless...

lol, I make enough with 1 job to have many PS3s, but thanks for caring.

I guess you can connect the backlash I am giving to the fact all of you were raving how 3DS is one powerful handheld and how it is on par with ps360.

disolitude said:
scottie said:

Edit: Oh, and the conclusion on the internets (ie forums where people go to do nothing but discuss computer parts) is that the Tegra gets shown up by the video chip announced for the 3DS

Show me, I want to see...

Also, looks like the Xbox 1 GPU edges the 3DS gpu slightly in fill rate and triangles per second. Wikipedia specs for each as source...

And if that holds true (which we don't yet completely yet since this is a leak and not official), that would suggest the 3DS can do more per pixel than the Xbox can.

Which also puts it right in line with statements that it is almost as capable as the Wii itself (with better graphical diversity).

The rEVOLution is not being televised

disolitude said:

All of you were raving how 3DS is one powerful handheld and how it is on par with ps360.

3DS is much more powerfull than ps360. Because it can 3D without stupid glasses and without expensive TV. That's its true power, not an amount of GBs in the storage.