By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More 3ds specs leaked

Mvp4eVa said:
disolitude said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
disolitude said:

Im shocked that everyone is stuck on 1.5 GB of freekin save memory...who cares about that?

Its the CPU/GPU/RAM that you should be concerned about...and so far I am not that imperssed.

64 ram 4 meg for Video ram? Is thst a joke? As a comparison, Zune HD/Iphone 1.0 come with 128 MB of ram and don't have to fill 2 screens or have 3D...

CPU seems pretty good, but seems severely underclocked...

Those are not dedicated for game, and cost a hell of a lot more.

Do they? I picked up a 32 GB Zune HD last month for 199...

Sure it doesn't have 2 screens, but it has 32 GB memory, exact same cpu with an arm7 cpu as well, 128mb of ram and a single OLED screen.

I'm not trying to take away anything from nintendo, im sure they will deliver a quality system...they always do as they get the great games. But its not really blowing me away with specs...

I believe Zune, Iphone, Itouch and Ipad all use Solid State Drives not Flash Drives .

A flash drive is a solid state drive.

A solid state drive is a drive that has no moving parts. Conventional harddrives having spinning bits of metal, and thus are not in solid state. Flash drives are. Zune, Iphone, Ipad etc all use flash memory

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Galaki said:

Funny how the people having hands on with the DS along with the devs are praising the 3DS.

Meanwhile, the ones bashing it knows exactly how weak the system is by just looking at specs.

Don't you judge us... we ain't looking at specs... were looking at specs leaked by uncle Bobby's second cousin daughter from China!

I didn't judge you. I just suspected that uncle Bobby probably is the father of said daughter.

scottie said:
zarx said:
Nintendogamer said:

So this is like GBA to DS in terms of WOW, lot of memory indeed :o, more so than Wii lol.

I think the Wii has it beat 

Even taking into account the two screens, the 3DS will still output less pixels than the Wii does,

Hardly any less...

If we take 3D in to account which I believe is manditory for the 3DS its pushing ~10% less pixels than the wii...

I think 3DS will still be prenty powerful for gaming, it just won't be cutting edge.

Is it better than Gabecube and Xbox?

Slimebeast said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube#Technical_specifications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Technical_specifications

mmhm

Around the Network
scottie said:
Slimebeast said:

mmhm

Well Xbox could possibly give it a run for its money. I doubt this thing could push 720p visuals on a single screen like Xbox 1 did on many games (Sonic heroes, Mortal Kombat Armageddon to name a few...)

The Zune HD can do it with video but that is because of the Tegra video chip.

disolitude said:

Im shocked that everyone is stuck on 1.5 GB of freekin save memory...who cares about that?

Its the CPU/GPU/RAM that you should be concerned about...and so far I am not that imperssed.

64 ram 4 meg for Video ram? Is thst a joke? As a comparison, Zune HD/Iphone 1.0 come with 128 MB of ram and don't have to fill 2 screens or have 3D...

The only people concerned are those who are not familiar enough with how to properly read specs and extract the context from them.

RAM: Zune HD has to also run the Windows CE 6.0 Operating System in the background.  Just like how PC's require far more RAM than a console for the same game, the OS eats up a huge amount of system RAM (plus other utilities runningin the background).   A console or portable console only deals with the application it is running and that's the game itself.  Windows CE 6.0 looks to eat up almost half of that 128 MB's.  Gamebube has 43 MB's, Wii has 88 MB's....64 MB's should be plenty for a portable.

Video RAM: That could work like embedded DRAM for all we know which would be a huge amount.  X360 has just 10 MB of eDRAM.  There is also the fact that that the games are on cart format meanign texture and data swapping is incredibly faster than optical based systems reducing the need to hold so much game data and textures in RAM.  Data could be streamed easily.  And the code to put it all in 3D is very small.  It's like height map values.  3D game code may be no more than a single MB for the entire game.

CPU: Don't put much stock in the speeds.  Especially considering there are 2 CPU's.  That can do many things that a single CPU at twice the clock rate still cannot do.  For example, a system may request data to execute but may be waiting on previous queued data to finish processing or it may be very process intensive...even with the high clock rate.  The second CPU can run those processor intensive operations freeing up the first processor thus allowing far more work to be done than would a single CPU at higher speeds.  You could even dedicate one whole CPU to just A.I. or physics.  That would make the single high speed processor look slow.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

disolitude said:
scottie said:
Slimebeast said:

mmhm

Well Xbox could possibly give it a run for its money. I doubt this thing could push 720p visuals on a single screen like Xbox 1 did on many games (Sonic heroes, Mortal Kombat Armageddon to name a few...)

The Zune HD can do it with video but that is because of the Tegra video chip.

Ok, I'm basing my conclusions based on the 3DS having a better processor, memory that will inevitably be better (they don't really sell ram as shit as the stuff in the xbox1 any more) as well as having the 4 mb VRAM. You are basing your conclusion off what exactly?

Edit: Oh, and the conclusion on the internets (ie forums where people go to do nothing but discuss computer parts) is that the Tegra gets shown up by the video chip announced for the 3DS

Viper1 said:
disolitude said:

The only people concerned are those who are not familiar enough with how to properly read specs and extract the context from them.

RAM: Zune HD has to also run the Windows CE 6.0 Operating System in the background.  Just like how PC's require far more RAM than a console for the same game, the OS eats up a huge amount of system RAM (plus other utilities runningin the background).   A console or portable console only deals with the application it is running and that's the game itself.  Windows CE 6.0 looks to eat up almost half of that 128 MB's.  Gamebube has 43 MB's, Wii has 88 MB's....64 MB's should be plenty for a portable.

Video RAM: That could work like embedded DRAM for all we know which would be a huge amount.  X360 has just 10 MB of eDRAM.  There is also the fact that that the games are on cart format meanign texture and data swapping is incredibly faster than optical based systems reducing the need to hold so much game data and textures in RAM.  Data could be streamed easily.  And the code to put it all in 3D is very small.  It's like height map values.  3D game code may be no more than a single MB for the entire game.

CPU: Don't put much stock in the speeds.  Especially considering there are 2 CPU's.  That can do many things that a single CPU at twice the clock rate still cannot do.  For example, a system may request data to execute but may be waiting on previous queued data to finish processing or it may be very process intensive...even with the high clock rate.  The second CPU can run those processor intensive operations freeing up the first processor thus allowing far more work to be done than would a single CPU at higher speeds.  You could even dedicate one whole CPU to just A.I. or physics.  That would make the single high speed processor look slow.

I agree...

Zune and Ipod touch need more ram as they have more options for users. You can choose many things (internet, apps, music, movies) and it all needs to be quick. I'm not saying the specs are bad, but that they arent bleeding edge at all. The "should be enough" isn't what I want to hear for a new 3D capable handheld :)

I am also slightly dissapointed from the homebrew/emulation side. There are a few handhelds with similar (GP2X) and better performance (Pandora) already on the market. I doubt this thing will get a working PS2/dreamcas level emulator with these specs... I guess PSP2 may be better for that stuff.

scottie said:

Ok, I'm basing my conclusions based on the 3DS having a better processor, memory that will inevitably be better (they don't really sell ram as shit as the stuff in the xbox1 any more) as well as having the 4 mb VRAM. You are basing your conclusion off what exactly?

There isn't enough info or benchmarks or games shown for the 3DS for you to base your opinion on those aspects.

I am basing my opinion on the fact that 3DS is very close to Zune HD spec wise and the few graphically advance Zune HD (project gotham racing for example) games are slightly better looking than PSP.

Don't forget that 3DS is pushing very close to 480p resolution with all the screens and is doing a lot of stuff at the same time. 2 screens, 3D on one screen with adjustable depth, touch screen...

I'd love to see how ARM11 processors GPU on the 3DS acompare to Pentium 3 and Nvidia 4 series GPU on the xbox...pound for pound processing, without worrying about battery consumption  :)