By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:

Oh. I'm sorry you feel that way towards atheists. I know personally that in the science threads I can be a bit pushy, I'll try and tone it down in the future. 

You actually make the better arguments, and I swear (to God XD) I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote that!

>_>

I survived the Apocalyps3

Around the Network
kowhoho said:
hatmoza said:
kowhoho said:
hatmoza said:

They have morals, respect isn't one of them.

Some justification would be wonderful.

Just the way they/you :P talk down to people. For example, I have one or two friends who are atheist, and they always try to make the point that they are smarter and more logical than people who believe in "God".

I know I'm probably generalizing but I'm sorry if it seems that way to me. if they're not online flaming, provoking or spewing utter nonsense about other religions, they're trying to make the case that they are smarter than everyone one else because they believe in what they believe in. Which honestly, makes me sick.

Everyone has morals to a degree. When you start isolating certain characteristics, you start to see the good and bad of all religions/beliefs.

"My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care." -Donald Miller

Whether or not you agree with my position or the way I support it has no bearing on my morality. If you think the things I say are inflammatory that's your problem. When I try to change the way others think (or at the very least provide a perspective different from theirs) I do it because I believe I am right. If I'm not right, it still isn't a big deal because we will all answer to the same truth in the end but I'd rather people were able to come to their own conclusion after seeing both sides. To be frank, your generalizations make me sick.

Just because I argue a point against someone else (since I believe they are wrong) doesn't make me condescending.

I don't think you are able to quanitfy morality in the first place. Morality is largely a subjective entity and can't be entirely defined. This is why I am bothered when people say that they are "more moral" than others.

LOL! no no no, I wasn't even talking about your posts! I didn't even read through th thread. My brief post was a quick response to the thread title.

However VGC members do fall in the second catagory. Think you're smarter than us God believers do you

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:

Oh. I'm sorry you feel that way towards atheists. I know personally that in the science threads I can be a bit pushy, I'll try and tone it down in the future. 

You actually make the better arguments, and I swear (to God XD) I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote that!

Ok, that's good .

I can definitely see where you're coming from though.

I've always sort of considered myself as a science first sort of guy, and my atheism is just a by-product of that, which also means that socially I don't have much of a problem with religion (except for with a few key issues such a sharia law, but we've discussed this before).

Also, I guess the only time I really get angry with religious people is when I hear of people trying to undermine scientific knowledge with religious motives, which I guess steps more on the toes of my passion for science as opposed to my atheism. I certainly can get a bit over passionate in these situations, and that can easily come off as anger.

But generally I can see what you mean.

hatmoza said:
kowhoho said:
hatmoza said:
kowhoho said:
hatmoza said:

Some justification would be wonderful.

Just the way they/you :P talk down to people. For example, I have one or two friends who are atheist, and they always try to make the point that they are smarter and more logical than people who believe in "God".

I know I'm probably generalizing but I'm sorry if it seems that way to me. if they're not online flaming, provoking or spewing utter nonsense about other religions, they're trying to make the case that they are smarter than everyone one else because they believe in what they believe in. Which honestly, makes me sick.

Everyone has morals to a degree. When you start isolating certain characteristics, you start to see the good and bad of all religions/beliefs.

"My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care." -Donald Miller

Whether or not you agree with my position or the way I support it has no bearing on my morality. If you think the things I say are inflammatory that's your problem. When I try to change the way others think (or at the very least provide a perspective different from theirs) I do it because I believe I am right. If I'm not right, it still isn't a big deal because we will all answer to the same truth in the end but I'd rather people were able to come to their own conclusion after seeing both sides. To be frank, your generalizations make me sick.

Just because I argue a point against someone else (since I believe they are wrong) doesn't make me condescending.

I don't think you are able to quanitfy morality in the first place. Morality is largely a subjective entity and can't be entirely defined. This is why I am bothered when people say that they are "more moral" than others.

LOL! no no no, I wasn't even talking about your posts! I didn't even read through th thread. My brief post was a quick response to the thread title.

However VGC members do fall in the second catagory. Think you're smarter than us God believers do you

Whoops, my bad. The last couple pages of comments were going off each other, so I assumed you were talking to me :P

Carry on!

highwaystar101 said:
hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:

Ok, that's good .

I've always sort of considered myself as a science first sort of guy, and my atheism is just a by-product of that, which also means that socially I don't have much of a problem with religion (except for with a few key issues such a sharia law, but we've discussed this before).

Also, I guess the only time I really get angry with religious people is when I hear of people trying to undermine scientific knowledge with religious motives, which I guess steps more on the toes of my passion for science as opposed to my atheism. I certainly can get a bit over passionate in these situations, and that can easily come off as anger.

Ready for the irony of all this?

I'm a biology major XD

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:
hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:

Ok, that's good .

I'm a biology major XD

I don't know about highwaystar, but you're rockin' my worldview!

hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:
hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:

Ok, that's good .

I'm a biology major XD

Yeah, I know a lot of religious people can accept scientific knowledge as compatible with their religion. I mean I'm assuming that as a biology major you view biology compatible with your faith (Muslim if I remember correctly?).

It's things like the intelligent design movement that gets on my nerves.

hatmoza said:
Mummelmann said:
hatmoza said:

Are you saying that people of faith are more respecful than those who lack faith? I can certainly attest to the opposite in my life and my country. Respect has nothing to do with religion, respect is taught in the home and depends more on social norm and skills, pedagogue content in the upbringing and overall relation to the world around you and/or different factions and people.

yes. Especially the one's who grew up religious, and became atheist later in life. At least from what I experienced, they just have a certain hate towards all religions.

I know I'm stepping on toes because a lot of active VGC members are atheist, but that's just the way I see it. And I'm sorry.

Don't feel sorry for having an opinion, debate sites like this would never exist if people agreed on everything.

Think about this for now; why did these people turn from religion? Don't you think that perhaps they experienced something profound or disturbing or at the very least unsettling that causes this hate for religious people? My ex girlfriend comes from a deeply religious family, two of her siblings followed the same path as her and don't believe in a God or deity and three of the siblings are deeply religious like their parents. The parents treat their children differently according to their faith in this family (and many others), causing conflicts and jealousy. The children in this case are left with two choices; conform to their parents' faith and succumb to their "will" or live forever before disapproving glances and frowns from their own father and mother. I'm not saying that this is the case in religious every family, but there are millions of children and young adults faced with this problem all over the world, so to me it is clear to see why there are some atheists who look down on or even hate religious people. If one guy with a turban mugs you, you'll start mistrusting anyone and everyone with a turban (this is slightly exaggerated for the sake of making a point here). Most religious people aren't like this but if a catholic priest molests you when you're young you won't hold catholics in high regard or if an atheist makes fun of you for your beliefs you'll assume that atheists all behave this way. Suggestion and social perception is often based on heavily biased information flow and standalone, personal experience that objectively reveal nothing more than that people are bastards sometimes, regardless of faith or lack thereof.

Personally, I'm fine with people finding God in their life but I think that everyone that grows up should be able to make a choice and observe and interpret based on objective criteria and not what your parents, tradition or some sect or congregation says.

hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:
hatmoza said:
highwaystar101 said:

Ok, that's good .

I'm a biology major XD

That's not ironic at all!

Scientific knowledge and understanding can be compatible with religious or spiritual belief. Plenty of my colleagues are believers in a variety of religions (Catholic, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Jewish) yet they're all Biochemical Engineers, Biochemists etc. I might disagree with them but that doesn't stop us all sharing the same excitement for bio science.

Science /= Atheism

Personally I dislike the idea of organised religion as a moral code or as an authoritarian and dogmatic belief. I prefer that spirituality be completely individual for everyone rather than children being taught one single religion, all major beliefs should be taught (including the lack of belief in a god) and the choice left to the individual. Of course this is completely unworkable in society, but there we go.

kowhoho said:
GameOver22 said:
kowhoho said:

You have no basis for the underlined. It isn't "wrong" to use statistics to predict the character of a person. Please explain to me how these statistics are anything but "good, accurate and unbiased." Without any reasoning behind that comment it sounds like you're just trying to find details that will support your argument and ignore anything that doesn't.

"Good" is also a subjective term. My "good" is likely to be very different from your "good." It is not an objective term to be used for definition.

And how do you know how God sees things? It's wonderful that you think that you share a kind of "holy vision" with him/her/it, but where do you get this statement from? Please don't use the word bible in your answer. >_>

The point being made is that in order to be a Christian, a person must follow Christian doctrine. In terms of crime, the obvious example here is the Ten Commandments . I would not go so far as to say a person is a bad Christian if they committ a crime because humans are not perfect, but a Christian does need to generally avoid breaking the law in order to be in compliance with Christian doctrine. If someone told me they were a Christian and then proceeded to habitually steal from others, I would question their Christianity because their actions are in direct conflict with Christian teachings. I am not saying that general adherence to Christian doctrine is a suffiecient condition for saying someone is a Christian, but it is a necessary one.

Just as another note, while Christian denominations and sects disagree on some things, I think you will find that they are in agreement with each other on the major issues. For example, they will believe that God created the universe, that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, and they will agree on the Ten Commandments. Also, asking pizzahut to present God's view without referring to the Bible is asking a bit too much. Without the Bible, he would just be making up his own vision or alludicating someone else's vision. I am not an expert on the Bible, but I think most Christians consider the Bible to be the best source for interpreting God's intentions and God's vision of the world.

You do have a good point, but I still don't think there is a singular definition for "christian," and I find it hypocritical of a religion to have any differentiation in beliefs at all. If it's your belief system then that's it. There's no haggling with religion. Either it's the truth or it isn't, there's no in-between.

For instance I don't think the majority of Christians would agree with the Baptist's condemnation of gays and picketing of funerals. At least I really hope not.

Ironic, that's what the disciples did.

I would agree there is no definitive definition of a Christian, but there are a lot of generalized terms that are similar in this way. This was one of the important things that Wittgenstein recognzied with his idea of family resemblence. When we have generalized terms like science and religion, we usually find they do not have definitive definitions that allow us to delineate between what falls into a category and what does not. Rather, we develop a list of general traits, and something must possess some of these traits in order to fall into each category. The obvious example of a scientific characteristic is repeatibility. While this is a general trait defining all branches of science, it is not considered to be necessary trait. If it was, macro-level evolution would not be considered science because it relies on historical investigation and cannot be repeated. However, we still consider macro-level evolution to be a science because it has many other traits we generally attribute to science.The main point is that many general terms lack clear, definitive definitions and rely on general characteristics for classification. You can also find other examples when looking at the debates about what qualifies as a religions and what demarcates science from pseudoscience.

I do not know what you mean when you say it is hypocritical of a religion to have different beliefs. All different beliefs mean is that separate Christian denominations hold different things to be true. You will find this to be true in most all disciplines. Generally speaking, if someone has written something influential, you can also bet someone has witten something else criticizing it. I would not classify the condemnation of gays and the picketing of funerals as an essential characteristic of Christians. If someone asked me to explain a Christian to them, condemnation of homosexuals would not be one of the defining characteristics I attributed to them. As I said, my knowledge of the Bible is limited, but I think theologians would not agree that the disciples just made up the contents of the Bible. This just seems like too much of a straw man argument to me.