By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
GameOver22 said:
kowhoho said:
GameOver22 said:
kowhoho said:

You have no basis for the underlined. It isn't "wrong" to use statistics to predict the character of a person. Please explain to me how these statistics are anything but "good, accurate and unbiased." Without any reasoning behind that comment it sounds like you're just trying to find details that will support your argument and ignore anything that doesn't.

"Good" is also a subjective term. My "good" is likely to be very different from your "good." It is not an objective term to be used for definition.

And how do you know how God sees things? It's wonderful that you think that you share a kind of "holy vision" with him/her/it, but where do you get this statement from? Please don't use the word bible in your answer. >_>

The point being made is that in order to be a Christian, a person must follow Christian doctrine. In terms of crime, the obvious example here is the Ten Commandments . I would not go so far as to say a person is a bad Christian if they committ a crime because humans are not perfect, but a Christian does need to generally avoid breaking the law in order to be in compliance with Christian doctrine. If someone told me they were a Christian and then proceeded to habitually steal from others, I would question their Christianity because their actions are in direct conflict with Christian teachings. I am not saying that general adherence to Christian doctrine is a suffiecient condition for saying someone is a Christian, but it is a necessary one.

Just as another note, while Christian denominations and sects disagree on some things, I think you will find that they are in agreement with each other on the major issues. For example, they will believe that God created the universe, that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, and they will agree on the Ten Commandments. Also, asking pizzahut to present God's view without referring to the Bible is asking a bit too much. Without the Bible, he would just be making up his own vision or alludicating someone else's vision. I am not an expert on the Bible, but I think most Christians consider the Bible to be the best source for interpreting God's intentions and God's vision of the world.

You do have a good point, but I still don't think there is a singular definition for "christian," and I find it hypocritical of a religion to have any differentiation in beliefs at all. If it's your belief system then that's it. There's no haggling with religion. Either it's the truth or it isn't, there's no in-between.

For instance I don't think the majority of Christians would agree with the Baptist's condemnation of gays and picketing of funerals. At least I really hope not.

Ironic, that's what the disciples did.

I would agree there is no definitive definition of a Christian, but there are a lot of generalized terms that are similar in this way. This was one of the important things that Wittgenstein recognzied with his idea of family resemblence. When we have generalized terms like science and religion, we usually find they do not have definitive definitions that allow us to delineate between what falls into a category and what does not. Rather, we develop a list of general traits, and something must possess some of these traits in order to fall into each category. The obvious example of a scientific characteristic is repeatibility. While this is a general trait defining all branches of science, it is not considered to be necessary trait. If it was, macro-level evolution would not be considered science because it relies on historical investigation and cannot be repeated. However, we still consider macro-level evolution to be a science because it has many other traits we generally attribute to science.The main point is that many general terms lack clear, definitive definitions and rely on general characteristics for classification. You can also find other examples when looking at the debates about what qualifies as a religions and what demarcates science from pseudoscience.

I do not know what you mean when you say it is hypocritical of a religion to have different beliefs. All different beliefs mean is that separate Christian denominations hold different things to be true. You will find this to be true in most all disciplines. Generally speaking, if someone has written something influential, you can also bet someone has witten something else criticizing it. I would not classify the condemnation of gays and the picketing of funerals as an essential characteristic of Christians. If someone asked me to explain a Christian to them, condemnation of homosexuals would not be one of the defining characteristics I attributed to them. As I said, my knowledge of the Bible is limited, but I think theologians would not agree that the disciples just made up the contents of the Bible. This just seems like too much of a straw man argument to me.

WOW. Great points all.I appreciate the quality of your response! :)

I'm not saying that you have to hate gays to be a Christian. Let me get that straight right away. I do not believe that all christians hate gays or anything silly like that. I didn't mean to say that that particular characteristic defined christianity, only that it was an easy example of a belief that all christians definitely do not share. When I say that religion is hypocritical to have different beliefs I am talking more about the beliefs surrounding the workings of our univers (not so much the values of morality), and I apologize for not making this clear before.

With regard to the actions of the disciples... My conclusion on the origins/mechanics of the universe and humanity  directly opposes the word of the Bible, and therefore I can only conclude that its authors fabricated its stories, or were somehow decieved by their personal experiences to believe what they were writing was the truth. It seems more likely to me that they simply made it up. And of course theologians wouldn't think they made it up! :P I don't see how this is a point of argument.

I have no more reason to place trust on the Bible as I do the dead religions of the world, like the Greek tales of Zeus and Hercules.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Around the Network
kowhoho said:
GameOver22 said:
kowhoho said:
GameOver22 said:
kowhoho said:

You have no basis for the underlined. It isn't "wrong" to use statistics to predict the character of a person. Please explain to me how these statistics are anything but "good, accurate and unbiased." Without any reasoning behind that comment it sounds like you're just trying to find details that will support your argument and ignore anything that doesn't.

"Good" is also a subjective term. My "good" is likely to be very different from your "good." It is not an objective term to be used for definition.

And how do you know how God sees things? It's wonderful that you think that you share a kind of "holy vision" with him/her/it, but where do you get this statement from? Please don't use the word bible in your answer. >_>

The point being made is that in order to be a Christian, a person must follow Christian doctrine. In terms of crime, the obvious example here is the Ten Commandments . I would not go so far as to say a person is a bad Christian if they committ a crime because humans are not perfect, but a Christian does need to generally avoid breaking the law in order to be in compliance with Christian doctrine. If someone told me they were a Christian and then proceeded to habitually steal from others, I would question their Christianity because their actions are in direct conflict with Christian teachings. I am not saying that general adherence to Christian doctrine is a suffiecient condition for saying someone is a Christian, but it is a necessary one.

Just as another note, while Christian denominations and sects disagree on some things, I think you will find that they are in agreement with each other on the major issues. For example, they will believe that God created the universe, that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, and they will agree on the Ten Commandments. Also, asking pizzahut to present God's view without referring to the Bible is asking a bit too much. Without the Bible, he would just be making up his own vision or alludicating someone else's vision. I am not an expert on the Bible, but I think most Christians consider the Bible to be the best source for interpreting God's intentions and God's vision of the world.

You do have a good point, but I still don't think there is a singular definition for "christian," and I find it hypocritical of a religion to have any differentiation in beliefs at all. If it's your belief system then that's it. There's no haggling with religion. Either it's the truth or it isn't, there's no in-between.

For instance I don't think the majority of Christians would agree with the Baptist's condemnation of gays and picketing of funerals. At least I really hope not.

Ironic, that's what the disciples did.

I would agree there is no definitive definition of a Christian, but there are a lot of generalized terms that are similar in this way. This was one of the important things that Wittgenstein recognzied with his idea of family resemblence. When we have generalized terms like science and religion, we usually find they do not have definitive definitions that allow us to delineate between what falls into a category and what does not. Rather, we develop a list of general traits, and something must possess some of these traits in order to fall into each category. The obvious example of a scientific characteristic is repeatibility. While this is a general trait defining all branches of science, it is not considered to be necessary trait. If it was, macro-level evolution would not be considered science because it relies on historical investigation and cannot be repeated. However, we still consider macro-level evolution to be a science because it has many other traits we generally attribute to science.The main point is that many general terms lack clear, definitive definitions and rely on general characteristics for classification. You can also find other examples when looking at the debates about what qualifies as a religions and what demarcates science from pseudoscience.

I do not know what you mean when you say it is hypocritical of a religion to have different beliefs. All different beliefs mean is that separate Christian denominations hold different things to be true. You will find this to be true in most all disciplines. Generally speaking, if someone has written something influential, you can also bet someone has witten something else criticizing it. I would not classify the condemnation of gays and the picketing of funerals as an essential characteristic of Christians. If someone asked me to explain a Christian to them, condemnation of homosexuals would not be one of the defining characteristics I attributed to them. As I said, my knowledge of the Bible is limited, but I think theologians would not agree that the disciples just made up the contents of the Bible. This just seems like too much of a straw man argument to me.

WOW. Great points all.I appreciate the quality of your response! :)

I'm not saying that you have to hate gays to be a Christian. Let me get that straight right away. I do not believe that all christians hate gays or anything silly like that. I didn't mean to say that that particular characteristic defined christianity, only that it was an easy example of a belief that all christians definitely do not share. When I say that religion is hypocritical to have different beliefs I am talking more about the beliefs surrounding the workings of our univers (not so much the values of morality), and I apologize for not making this clear before.

With regard to the actions of the disciples... My conclusion on the origins/mechanics of the universe and humanity  directly opposes the word of the Bible, and therefore I can only conclude that its authors fabricated its stories, or were somehow decieved by their personal experiences to believe what they were writing was the truth. It seems more likely to me that they simply made it up. And of course theologians wouldn't think they made it up! :P I don't see how this is a point of argument.

I have no more reason to place trust on the Bible as I do the dead religions of the world, like the Greek tales of Zeus and Hercules.

Thanks. I find the debate between science/atheism and religion to be quite interesting. On topic, I just misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were responding to my claim that most Christian denomination will agree on the major issues. I was just saying that homosexuality was not one of these defining issues. In regards to the disciples, I did not realize that was the conclusion of your argument. I thought you were making an historical observation. My point about the theolgians is they are going to offer a better argument than saying the disciples made up the stories of the Bible. That why I said it was a straw man. As I said though, I thought you were presenting this as an historical fact rather than the conclusion of an argument.

Most religions today are going to interpret scripture, and many religions and theolgians are very acceptive of science. In this way, I do not think religion is necessarily in conflict with the mechanics of the universe or the origins of humanity. The only thing in conflict with the mechanics of the universe I can think of would be miracles. However, there will likely be conflict between science and religion on the origin of the universe. One will say chance or necessity while the other will say God is the cause of the universe.

kowhoho said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowhoho said:
pizzahut451 said:

Statistics are constantly being used for the betterment of mankind and are a huge component of all the developements which make your life easier. For you to say that they are 'stupid' or 'biased' is quite frankly an insult to what humanity has accomplished for itself.Bias is always present as human error cannot be entirely removed from a human study, but there are methods that statistics use (such as random sampling or double-blind studies) which bring the potential for bias down to an acceptable level. A good statistcical study ensures that its results have less than a 5% chance of happening by chance, and those studies are often repeated many times regardless, so there is a complete certainty of their results.

You also seem to be overlooking the point I'm trying to make. I never said that atheism CAUSES wealth, low crime rates or anything of the sort. Neither did he. I can most definitely say that an atheist is less likely to commit crime or be poor because of the negative correlation between the two. This prediction is only based on the correlation between the variables. This is not a generalization and in no way does it imply that NO atheist would commit crime.

Let's use a different example.

Consider a study where students' GPA and the hours they watch TV are compared. Let's say that the study finds a strong negative correlation between Hours of TV Watching and GPA (more hours of tv = lower GPA). From this data, assuming it was taken with a randomly collected sample of students and biases were minimized, I can predict that a student who watches a lot of TV will have a low GPA. Yes? However this does not mean that watching TV CAUSES bad grades. There could be a third unknown variable which is causing both the high amount of TV watching AND the low GPA, such as inherent laziness.

Now let's move on to your use of the term, "real christian." Can you actually define to me right now what a real christian is? I seriously doubt it. I find it funny that you call my arguments shallow and them use terms with no operational definition. There are a thousand sects of christianity that don't agree with one another. Are you so vain as to say that your church has a monopoly on morality? Your statements are uninformed, narrow-minded and arrogant.

I never insulted ALL statistics ever made. I just said that that one statistic sucked. I have absolutely nothing agaisnt the statistics as long as they are good, accurate and unbiased.

And i understood what you wanted to say. But you still cant say that an atheist is less likely to comitt a crime either. An individual atheist is less likley to comitt a crime? Probably. Atheists as a group of people are less likely to comitt crime and are more richer than other people? HELL NO! Thats why that argument is dumb IMO.  To say that atheists are less likely to comitt a crime than christians or muslims or jews is wrong.

And let me put that really simple for you: A good christian is a good person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ. A person who steales, rapes, kills, aussaults people is NOT a real chrisitan, regardless if he believes in Jesus or not. Thats the way God sees things, and thats the way i see them too.

Neither do you. The statistic wasnt done on all atheist people in this world, so saying that atheists as a whole group of people are less likely to comitt a crime than christians or jews and muslims IS WRONG. There are atheists out there that are less likely to comit a crime, sure, but to say ALL of them are is pretty stupid, and i dont think i need to explain why.

Good person is not a subjective term. A good deed is not a subjective term as well. Whats your view on a good person? Is it the person who rapes, kills and steals?

I know it because Jesus said once (or it was one of his followers) that you DONT have to believe in him but rather believe in his techings. Jesus is son of God so i believe thats how God sees things too. Not to mention that is the only RIGHT way to see things as well.

dib8rman said:

Pizzahut, your apples do not look like oranges. No matter how hard you try they are still apples.

How about a real historic example.

Christians would get diseases rodents, bird or whatever and wrap them in blankets for weeks then sell the blankets to native Americans in order to lower their population enough to launch overt attacks on them.

I don't believe the pilgrims need to validify their christianity.

Lol, chrisians, yeah right  *rolls eyes*

im_sneaky said:
kowhoho said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowhoho said:
pizzahut451 said:

Statistics are constantly being used for the betterment of mankind and are a huge component of all the developements which make your life easier. For you to say that they are 'stupid' or 'biased' is quite frankly an insult to what humanity has accomplished for itself.Bias is always present as human error cannot be entirely removed from a human study, but there are methods that statistics use (such as random sampling or double-blind studies) which bring the potential for bias down to an acceptable level. A good statistcical study ensures that its results have less than a 5% chance of happening by chance, and those studies are often repeated many times regardless, so there is a complete certainty of their results.

You also seem to be overlooking the point I'm trying to make. I never said that atheism CAUSES wealth, low crime rates or anything of the sort. Neither did he. I can most definitely say that an atheist is less likely to commit crime or be poor because of the negative correlation between the two. This prediction is only based on the correlation between the variables. This is not a generalization and in no way does it imply that NO atheist would commit crime.

Let's use a different example.

Consider a study where students' GPA and the hours they watch TV are compared. Let's say that the study finds a strong negative correlation between Hours of TV Watching and GPA (more hours of tv = lower GPA). From this data, assuming it was taken with a randomly collected sample of students and biases were minimized, I can predict that a student who watches a lot of TV will have a low GPA. Yes? However this does not mean that watching TV CAUSES bad grades. There could be a third unknown variable which is causing both the high amount of TV watching AND the low GPA, such as inherent laziness.

Now let's move on to your use of the term, "real christian." Can you actually define to me right now what a real christian is? I seriously doubt it. I find it funny that you call my arguments shallow and them use terms with no operational definition. There are a thousand sects of christianity that don't agree with one another. Are you so vain as to say that your church has a monopoly on morality? Your statements are uninformed, narrow-minded and arrogant.

I never insulted ALL statistics ever made. I just said that that one statistic sucked. I have absolutely nothing agaisnt the statistics as long as they are good, accurate and unbiased.

And i understood what you wanted to say. But you still cant say that an atheist is less likely to comitt a crime either. An individual atheist is less likley to comitt a crime? Probably. Atheists as a group of people are less likely to comitt crime and are more richer than other people? HELL NO! Thats why that argument is dumb IMO.  To say that atheists are less likely to comitt a crime than christians or muslims or jews is wrong.

And let me put that really simple for you: A good christian is a good person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ. A person who steales, rapes, kills, aussaults people is NOT a real chrisitan, regardless if he believes in Jesus or not. Thats the way God sees things, and thats the way i see them too.

Pizzahut, basically you are saying that the only way to be a Christian is to not cimmit crimes, and therefore the vast majority of people who believe they are Christians are in fact not?

No, you can comitt a crime and still be a a good christian, it just depends what kind of crime did you comitt, and more importantly, did you felt bad for it.

Are you saing that vast majority of people who think they are christians (almost 2 billion people) comitted a crime against the law? Wow, you really have high opinnion on christianity

Around the Network
pizzahut451 said:
kowhoho said:

The reason an individual atheist is less likely to commit a crime is because of the statistics taken from the group. It is not however down to beliefs, merely demographics. Atheists are less likely to commit a crime because generally they are quite highly educated and have a fairly high income, it isn't their belief that makes them less likely to commit a crime.

Also your argument is classic 'no true Scotsman'.

pizzahut451 said:
kowhoho said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowhoho said:

Neither do you. The statistic wasnt done on all atheist people in this world, so saying that atheists as a whole group of people are less likely to comitt a crime than christians or jews and muslims IS WRONG. There are atheists out there that are less likely to comit a crime, sure, but to say ALL of them are is pretty stupid, and i dont think i need to explain why.

Good person is not a subjective term. A good deed is not a subjective term as well. Whats your view on a good person? Is it the person who rapes, kills and steals?

I know it because Jesus said once (or it was one of his followers) that you DONT have to believe in him but rather believe in his techings. Jesus is son of God so i believe thats how God sees things too. Not to mention that is the only RIGHT way to see things as well.

You can't say you know exactly what "good" is and then make arguments with circular logic. Saying, "I believe what Jesus taught because he said to believe it" is a logical fallacy.

I'll concede that the study may not have randomly chosen people from ALL OVER THE WORLD, maybe just the U.S. Whatever the population for the study was, you can reasonably predict that a randomly selected atheist from that group (be it the whole world or just the US) will have commited few or no crimes and will have a good income. I never said that all atheists never commit crimes, you're putting words in my mouth there.

Why in god's name (:P) would you accuse me of thinking that rape, murder and theft are good things? You're being ridiculous. Just so you know, a debate is lost once a debater has to take personal shots at the opposition.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Rath said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowhoho said:

The reason an individual atheist is less likely to commit a crime is because of the statistics taken from the group. It is not however down to beliefs, merely demographics. Atheists are less likely to commit a crime because generally they are quite highly educated and have a fairly high income, it isn't their belief that makes them less likely to commit a crime.

Just like an individual atheist is less likely to comitt a crime, there is also an individual christian or muslim or jew that is less likely to comitt a crime. Simple. But none of the both WHOLE groups of people are less likely to comitt a crime than the other.

pizzahut451 said:
Rath said:

Just like an individual atheist is less likely to comitt a crime, there is also an individual christian or muslim or jew that is less likely to comitt a crime. Simple. But none of the both WHOLE groups of people are less likely to comitt a crime than the other.

Statistically fewer atheists commit crimes. That is atheists as a group.

I really fail to see what you are arguing here. I'm not trying to argue that all atheists are good people or anything, I'm merely saying that statistics show that fewer atheists commit crimes than religious people. This would seem to indicate to me at least that atheists do not have fewer morals than religious people.

Rath said:
pizzahut451 said:
Rath said:

Statistically fewer atheists commit crimes. That is atheists as a group.

I really fail to see what you are arguing here. I'm not trying to argue that all atheists are good people or anything, I'm merely saying that statistics show that fewer atheists commit crimes than religious people. This would seem to indicate to me at least that atheists do not have fewer morals than religious people.

Atheists as a group on which the statistic was done? Yes. Atheists as a group from all around the wolrd together? No