By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: Halo: Reach will outsell COD: Black Ops

scottie said:
Lostplanet22 said:
scottie said:
Lostplanet22 said:
scottie said:

Read again....'and those people are going to want to play Halo Reach'...   was talking about the 'play' not the bought thing.

Read several times, I'm still seeing

"More than 34 million people have bought [a Halo game] and those people are going to want to play Halo: Reach."

The fact is, the number of people who have bought a halo game is less than 34 million, probably closer to 20 million

That's even more bs than the PR, well done

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

Adding up the Halo series really is silly, when Halo first came out, and there still wasn't much competition at all for Halo 2.  There was a little more competition for Halo 3, but Call of Duty was still nothing compared to what it is now, along with a couple other games like Battlefield becoming games of a lot higher quality.  There is just plain too much competition to look at sales of previous Halo games and determine what the current one will do because of that.

No because all of this "competition" you speak of are all wartype shooters. How many sci-fi shooters out there? Halo has its own market with some crossover players and it has that market on lockdown. Halo:Reach will outsell Halo 3. The conversation is "should I buy Black Ops or Medal of Honor?" Not "should I buy Black Ops or Halo:Reach?"

Do you seriously think that the 11 million people who buy Halo aren't the same 11 million people who buy COD? I can understand the more hardcore gamers leaning towards other games like Battlefield, TF2, Medal of Honour etc, but Halo and COD are pretty much selling to the same casual group of people.

Notice I said crossover. I know for a fact some people buy Halo and not COD and vice versa. In fact multiple friends of mine only play Halo and haven't bought a COD a game as well as some of my friends have bought COD and not bought Halo. Until Reach that is. All of my COD friends are buying Reach so yes there are two different fanbases for the games. One look at a Halo:Reach vid or a COD vid on youtube comments page would tell you this. Just look at all the fanboy arguing over which series is better.

Doobie_wop said:
themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

Adding up the Halo series really is silly, when Halo first came out, and there still wasn't much competition at all for Halo 2.  There was a little more competition for Halo 3, but Call of Duty was still nothing compared to what it is now, along with a couple other games like Battlefield becoming games of a lot higher quality.  There is just plain too much competition to look at sales of previous Halo games and determine what the current one will do because of that.

No because all of this "competition" you speak of are all wartype shooters. How many sci-fi shooters out there? Halo has its own market with some crossover players and it has that market on lockdown. Halo:Reach will outsell Halo 3. The conversation is "should I buy Black Ops or Medal of Honor?" Not "should I buy Black Ops or Halo:Reach?"

Do you seriously think that the 11 million people who buy Halo aren't the same 11 million people who buy COD? I can understand the more hardcore gamers leaning towards other games like Battlefield, TF2, Medal of Honour etc, but Halo and COD are pretty much selling to the same casual group of people.

I disagree with this. I don't think the audiences are completely different, but I don't think they're nearly as similar as you suggest.

I don't know man, all of my friends are casual gamers that only play three franchises COD, Halo and FIFA. They all play them online and that's all they play. They all bought Halo 3 at release, then they all bought MW1, then MW2 and now they're all waiting for Reach and Black Op's. Despite what people may think, Halo is very similar to COD in that it offer's very simplistic gameplay, with a simple presentation and an easy to get into online system. I could definitely see the two audiences clashing.

Halo may be easy to "get into" online but the moment a casual player plays against good players he will get raped. Unlike the COD series where you can camp and rack up killstreaks to win. Halo takes skill unlike COD.

themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

I disagree with this. I don't think the audiences are completely different, but I don't think they're nearly as similar as you suggest.

they aren't the same audience at all.  8 out of 10 people you meet while playing Halo if you mention COD they tell you the game sucks, is made for spamming noobs, and to get out of the game and go play COD.

Halo players for the most part HATE COD.  The gameplay of the two isn't similar at all.

Personally I enjoy both but thats certainly not the norm.

scottie said:

"More than 34 million people have bought [a Halo game] and those people are going to want to play Halo: Reach. We're going to do incredibly well."

Fucking lol

More than 34 million games sold =/= 34 million people buying the games. Cos, you know, I hear some people buy multiple games

Also, the Cod series has sold much mroe than 34 million copies.

Complete fail

Edit - or was he talking about 360 version only? In that case I would have to look up their predecessors, way too much effort

lol by that logic a Final Fantasy game should sell what? 100 million each sequel? lol

Around the Network

The smart move about his statement is that if all else fails, he can say he was comparing it only to the Wii version of Black Ops, which we know Halo Reach will decimate.

LoL!

tuscaniman said:
Doobie_wop said:
themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

I don't know man, all of my friends are casual gamers that only play three franchises COD, Halo and FIFA. They all play them online and that's all they play. They all bought Halo 3 at release, then they all bought MW1, then MW2 and now they're all waiting for Reach and Black Op's. Despite what people may think, Halo is very similar to COD in that it offer's very simplistic gameplay, with a simple presentation and an easy to get into online system. I could definitely see the two audiences clashing.

Halo may be easy to "get into" online but the moment a casual player plays against good players he will get raped. Unlike the COD series where you can camp and rack up killstreaks to win. Halo takes skill unlike COD.

It doesn't make sense to say everyone can just enter, sit in a corner and rack up killstreaks. If that were the case, every corner would be full, and nobody would get killed.

You are playing against opponents who have just as much opportunity to kill you as you do them. Getting some of the more difficult challenges, trying to call in a nuke or playing some hardcore can all prove challenging, and require a certain level of skill.

tuscaniman said:
Doobie_wop said:
themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

Damn straight!

OT: I don't think Halo Reach will outsell Black Ops even on the 360......Black Ops (like all COD games) are much more noob friendly.  I've met countless people on live and I know tons of people that are only getting Black Ops because "all Halo's are the same" and "it takes too long to kill people in Halo" 

Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Doobie_wop said:
themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

It doesn't make sense to say everyone can just enter, sit in a corner and rack up killstreaks. If that were the case, every corner would be full, and nobody would get killed.

You are playing against opponents who have just as much opportunity to kill you as you do them. Getting some of the more difficult challenges, trying to call in a nuke or playing some hardcore can all prove challenging, and require a certain level of skill.

Pretty much all FPS games take at least some sort of skill to be good but Halo takes way more skill then COD.  In Halo about 75% of the time the better player will win the battle, in COD about 70% of the time the 1st person to fire will win the battle.