yo_john117 said:
Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Doobie_wop said:
themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

Adding up the Halo series really is silly, when Halo first came out, and there still wasn't much competition at all for Halo 2.  There was a little more competition for Halo 3, but Call of Duty was still nothing compared to what it is now, along with a couple other games like Battlefield becoming games of a lot higher quality.  There is just plain too much competition to look at sales of previous Halo games and determine what the current one will do because of that.

No because all of this "competition" you speak of are all wartype shooters. How many sci-fi shooters out there? Halo has its own market with some crossover players and it has that market on lockdown. Halo:Reach will outsell Halo 3. The conversation is "should I buy Black Ops or Medal of Honor?" Not "should I buy Black Ops or Halo:Reach?"

Do you seriously think that the 11 million people who buy Halo aren't the same 11 million people who buy COD? I can understand the more hardcore gamers leaning towards other games like Battlefield, TF2, Medal of Honour etc, but Halo and COD are pretty much selling to the same casual group of people.

I disagree with this. I don't think the audiences are completely different, but I don't think they're nearly as similar as you suggest.

I don't know man, all of my friends are casual gamers that only play three franchises COD, Halo and FIFA. They all play them online and that's all they play. They all bought Halo 3 at release, then they all bought MW1, then MW2 and now they're all waiting for Reach and Black Op's. Despite what people may think, Halo is very similar to COD in that it offer's very simplistic gameplay, with a simple presentation and an easy to get into online system. I could definitely see the two audiences clashing.

Halo may be easy to "get into" online but the moment a casual player plays against good players he will get raped. Unlike the COD series where you can camp and rack up killstreaks to win. Halo takes skill unlike COD.

It doesn't make sense to say everyone can just enter, sit in a corner and rack up killstreaks. If that were the case, every corner would be full, and nobody would get killed.

You are playing against opponents who have just as much opportunity to kill you as you do them. Getting some of the more difficult challenges, trying to call in a nuke or playing some hardcore can all prove challenging, and require a certain level of skill.

Pretty much all FPS games take at least some sort of skill to be good but Halo takes way more skill then COD.  In Halo about 75% of the time the better player will win the battle, in COD about 70% of the time the 1st person to fire will win the battle.

Being the first person to fire takes skill.

All FPS take skill, the skills required are just different for each one. If a game has been out longer, it could be said that  it requires more skill, since to be a decent player you would need more experience. In that way, the most skill-requiring multiplayer fps that are still played would be unreal tournament or cs 1.6... as compared to the year old MW2.

kinda hard i say no

MW2 did 8.9 before 09 ended only 360 i dont think BO will be that much off that number this year

halo 3 is at 2.9M LT in EU MW2 is at curently at 3.6M and its a multiplat!

only thing reach has on its side is that it will have more time than BO

Play Me

im_sneaky said:
yo_john117 said:
Dallinor said:
tuscaniman said:
Doobie_wop said:
themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

Do you seriously think that the 11 million people who buy Halo aren't the same 11 million people who buy COD? I can understand the more hardcore gamers leaning towards other games like Battlefield, TF2, Medal of Honour etc, but Halo and COD are pretty much selling to the same casual group of people.

I disagree with this. I don't think the audiences are completely different, but I don't think they're nearly as similar as you suggest.

I don't know man, all of my friends are casual gamers that only play three franchises COD, Halo and FIFA. They all play them online and that's all they play. They all bought Halo 3 at release, then they all bought MW1, then MW2 and now they're all waiting for Reach and Black Op's. Despite what people may think, Halo is very similar to COD in that it offer's very simplistic gameplay, with a simple presentation and an easy to get into online system. I could definitely see the two audiences clashing.

Halo may be easy to "get into" online but the moment a casual player plays against good players he will get raped. Unlike the COD series where you can camp and rack up killstreaks to win. Halo takes skill unlike COD.

It doesn't make sense to say everyone can just enter, sit in a corner and rack up killstreaks. If that were the case, every corner would be full, and nobody would get killed.

You are playing against opponents who have just as much opportunity to kill you as you do them. Getting some of the more difficult challenges, trying to call in a nuke or playing some hardcore can all prove challenging, and require a certain level of skill.

Pretty much all FPS games take at least some sort of skill to be good but Halo takes way more skill then COD.  In Halo about 75% of the time the better player will win the battle, in COD about 70% of the time the 1st person to fire will win the battle.

Being the first person to fire takes skill.

All FPS take skill, the skills required are just different for each one. If a game has been out longer, it could be said that  it requires more skill, since to be a decent player you would need more experience. In that way, the most skill-requiring multiplayer fps that are still played would be unreal tournament or cs 1.6... as compared to the year old MW2.

Yeah but if someone fires on you and you rape them that is way more skilled.....

There's really no argument in this, COD takes nowhere near as much skill as Halo games do (especially Reach with the reticule bloom)

Halo takes skill???? not that much I go to a friends house and afte about a half an hour im as good or beating them. I dont even know the buttons. Either im naturally good or my friends are kinda crappy. in my personal experience Halo is like the Smash Bros of FPS fun but not that hard to learn while MW would be MVC2 of FPS fun but kinda broken.  As for sales, when will these MS guys shut the hell up??? Reach is not going outsell BO the Wii version alone will sell at least a mil. There going to be wrong, just like they were about FF13.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

Halo takes skill???? not that much I go to a friends house and afte about a half an hour im as good or beating them. I dont even know the buttons. Either im naturally good or my friends are kinda crappy. in my personal experience Halo is like the Smash Bros of FPS fun but not that hard to learn while MW would be MVC2 of FPS fun but kinda broken.  As for sales, when will these MS guys shut the hell up??? Reach is not going outsell BO the Wii version alone will sell at least a mil. There going to be wrong, just like they were about FF13.

Your friends are that bad....if I played you in Halo 3 I would most likely rip you in half (and i'm not even that good compared to the really good people)

And why does this matter? 

neverpwnd said:

And why does this matter? 

Because we are on a sales website.....I thought something like this would be somewhat obvious >_>

@yo john   im sure you would, I dont have Halo or 360 and honestly im not that into FPSs as I used to be

halo 3: 11.14 mil

cod mw2: 11.54 mil (xbox only)

halo reach has no chance in hell

Think for yourself, question authority