By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: Halo: Reach will outsell COD: Black Ops

Adding up the Halo series really is silly, when Halo first came out, and there still wasn't much competition at all for Halo 2.  There was a little more competition for Halo 3, but Call of Duty was still nothing compared to what it is now, along with a couple other games like Battlefield becoming games of a lot higher quality.  There is just plain too much competition to look at sales of previous Halo games and determine what the current one will do because of that.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:

Adding up the Halo series really is silly, when Halo first came out, and there still wasn't much competition at all for Halo 2.  There was a little more competition for Halo 3, but Call of Duty was still nothing compared to what it is now, along with a couple other games like Battlefield becoming games of a lot higher quality.  There is just plain too much competition to look at sales of previous Halo games and determine what the current one will do because of that.

No because all of this "competition" you speak of are all wartype shooters. How many sci-fi shooters out there? Halo has its own market with some crossover players and it has that market on lockdown. Halo:Reach will outsell Halo 3. The conversation is "should I buy Black Ops or Medal of Honor?" Not "should I buy Black Ops or Halo:Reach?"

tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

No because all of this "competition" you speak of are all wartype shooters. How many sci-fi shooters out there? Halo has its own market with some crossover players and it has that market on lockdown. Halo:Reach will outsell Halo 3. The conversation is "should I buy Black Ops or Medal of Honor?" Not "should I buy Black Ops or Halo:Reach?"

Do you seriously think that the 11 million people who buy Halo aren't the same 11 million people who buy COD? I can understand the more hardcore gamers leaning towards other games like Battlefield, TF2, Medal of Honour etc, but Halo and COD are pretty much selling to the same casual group of people.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

Do you seriously think that the 11 million people who buy Halo aren't the same 11 million people who buy COD? I can understand the more hardcore gamers leaning towards other games like Battlefield, TF2, Medal of Honour etc, but Halo and COD are pretty much selling to the same casual group of people.

I disagree with this. I don't think the audiences are completely different, but I don't think they're nearly as similar as you suggest.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

scottie said:
Lostplanet22 said:
scottie said:

"More than 34 million people have bought [a Halo game] and those people are going to want to play Halo: Reach. We're going to do incredibly well."

:) It is not because 34 million people want to play Halo reach that all will buy it.  Halo 3 sold 11 million while their are (almost) 20 million unique players (only gold accounts counted) who played it while the number can be up to 30 million if you include the people who played the game with you at your home.

The man said bought, not played

Read again....'and those people are going to want to play Halo Reach'...   was talking about the 'play' not the bought thing.

Around the Network

I can very easily see that hapenning. Why? We have no idea whathe hell he is talking about!!!

Is he talking about combining the platforms? Probably not.

Could Halo Reach outsell Call of Duty just on the 360? Quite possibly.

What if it doesn't? He was only talking North American numbers.

See? There's gonna be a stupid answer fore verything.

themanwithnoname said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:
Baalzamon said:

I disagree with this. I don't think the audiences are completely different, but I don't think they're nearly as similar as you suggest.

I don't know man, all of my friends are casual gamers that only play three franchises COD, Halo and FIFA. They all play them online and that's all they play. They all bought Halo 3 at release, then they all bought MW1, then MW2 and now they're all waiting for Reach and Black Op's. Despite what people may think, Halo is very similar to COD in that it offer's very simplistic gameplay, with a simple presentation and an easy to get into online system. I could definitely see the two audiences clashing.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I don't think so MS. The old halo's came out when the COD series wasn't as popular as know. I don't think that it will outsell it. If Reach has something uniqe at multiplayer that can manage in making it more addictive than COD then yes maybe

on 360 only its deffo got a chance, but then again people are likely to buy reach and get black ops later

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Lostplanet22 said:
scottie said:
Lostplanet22 said:
scottie said:

Read again....'and those people are going to want to play Halo Reach'...   was talking about the 'play' not the bought thing.

Read several times, I'm still seeing

"More than 34 million people have bought [a Halo game] and those people are going to want to play Halo: Reach."

The fact is, the number of people who have bought a halo game is less than 34 million, probably closer to 20 million