By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSOne console sold 130 million!

Didn't expect this much feedback, couldn't people just stop once they knew?

Never mind my bad, life goes on, sowwy.

UPDATE:

Nope Gilgamesh, Sony told Gamasutra it was wrong:

UPDATE: Sony had told Gamasutra it only sold 349m Playstations, not 377m

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6122/birthday_memories_sony_.php?page=4

...The full Gamasutra feature interview with Dille provides a fascinating look back on the launch of an iconic brand as it turns 15 years old today.

[UPDATE: A previous version of this story cited a Sony press release that said the PlayStation family of hardware sold 377 million to date. But the company corrected that figure in a statement to Gamasutra, as 349 million units have actually been sold to date.

The discrepancy came from figures for the original PlayStation -- Dille originally stated in the Gamasutra feature interview that the console sold 130 million, but it has actually sold 102 million units. A SCEA rep that apologized for the company's error said that in any case, the 349 million-unit landmark "is clearly still an amazing accomplishment that we are incredibly proud of."]

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30313/On_PlayStations_15th_Birthday_Platform_Claims_349_Million_Consoles_Sold.php

Around the Network

So the console is phased out for long time out the heck those 30M come from ?? Not my country for sure.

lol undertracked much?

anywho seriously IMPRESSIVE!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Wow ..

and obviously those 130M are now consumer sales, meaning the PSone is likely going to remain the 2nd best selling video game console the way things are shaping..

mM
leo-j said:

Wow ..

and obviously those 130M are now consumer sales, meaning the PSone is likely going to remain the 2nd best selling video game console the way things are shaping..

The DS has already topped that, unless this site has overtracked.

And please don't tell me that "console" means "home system", as that is not what the word means. You really do have to use the other phrase if you mean that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Do we know for certain whether this is sell-through or not? That would mean VGC is extremely off on its numbers... which would be strange.

LordTheNightKnight said:
leo-j said:

Wow ..

And please don't tell me that "console" means "home system", as that is not what the word means. You really do have to use the other phrase if you mean that.

PS1 might be the second highest selling Home console in history!!!!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
leo-j said:

Wow ..

PS1 might be the second highest selling Home console in history!!!!

that's what I meant

mM

Wow, Going to be a while before another home console Beats that and even longer to beat the PS2.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

wfz said:

Do we know for certain whether this is sell-through or not? That would mean VGC is extremely off on its numbers... which would be strange.

It's not just VG chartz for a long time Sony announced they shipped 102 million, it's been like that at wiki for ages, but now all of a sudden they announced 130 million. Wiki is now changed to that as well.