By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Saleschat- starring John Lucas & Mr.Stickball (and friends)

sorry stick, but I'm willing to bet that JL's end of year Wii prediction being closer than yours...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

i don't think JL actually ever believed wiifit would do THAT well.
i mean look at the way he words his posts. he obviously isn't as stupid as the predictions he makes, which leads me to beleive he's just trying to get attention lol.

azzer100 said:
One thing Ive noticed is that John lucas never has a bad word to say about anyone even his so called rivals, but some of his rivals are downright nasty and rude to him. yes you know who you are!

QFT

I have been lurking these mesage boards for a long time, and i have never heard John being nasty to any one, but some people have been very rude, like what he has said or predicts really offends them. It all fun in the end, no need for any one to be so nasty.

Hi JL, i for one really enjoy your posts, and think you are a great contribution to this already great community.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

It is true that JL is never rude to anyone, but his diciples are. They get downright nasty if you critique his predictions or his reasoning behind them.
That's the issue at hand here; why do so many lend so much credibility to a man who makes a lot less sense than many of the other users?
His predictions don't offend me (or anyone I know of), but the way his believers beat down anyone who puts a wedge in his logic really annoys me sometimes.
I agree that he sparks debate on the forum without being personally insulting or anything, but his followers who so badly dote on him should stick their finger in the dirt and breathe a lungfull of air before they lash out with ongoing arguments being things such as "you're so ignorant" or "lol at you, you're just jealous".
I know it's the internet, but a shred of dignity should be included in all posts, and just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they're retarded or ignorant.

If JL is really trying to get hype or something going from his insane predictions, but is respectible in his wording, and critiques of various sales patterns, why should you respect both?

I mean, if someone is very nice, smart, and has a good "feel" for the market, and where it's going, but has far-off into outerspace predictions......Isn't there a specific problem right there?

IMO, if your going to be smart about posting, you should be smart about predicting too. As much as some people dislike me here, I rarely, if ever, go out on a limb and "guarentee" something stupid. My most far-off predictions for the X360 are usually within 20-30% of what happens. I'm wrong many times, but when I'm wrong, it's never the massive failure of things that JL has...Regardless of wording.

Which is why I get on JL's case. He's smarter than these kinds of predictions. Why make them? I'd be willing to bet a 1 month ban the Wii won't sell 40m units next year....JL has absolutely nothing on the line when he's wrong.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

People take all these predictions and themselves far too seriously for their own good.

Wow, your ego is breathtaking.

If you let fanboyism influence your predictions, that is what you get. Outrageous and unprofessional predictions that miss the truth by miles.

Morgyn said:
Wow, your ego is breathtaking.

"starring John Lucas"

"In my 9 months as a member of VGChartz I've challenged the thinking of the day ruffling many feathers and gaining rivals who make it their duty to challenge and call me out."

"Let's discuss some of my predictions past, present, and future and have a debate on their merits"

"We can even discuss rivals' predictions to get my opinion on the matter for more debates."

"I foresee a long thread here with many pages."

and of course

"John Lucas"

The only thing more breathtaking is the willingness of all these other chumps to constantly feed this [self-censored]'s ego.

I would expect nothing less from the rest of these people, but I'm a bit surprised mrstickball took the bait.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

rubido said:
If you let fanboyism influence your predictions, that is what you get. Outrageous and unprofessional predictions that miss the truth by miles.

My only guess is that his popularity around these parts is because his ridiculous predictions are so pro-Wii, unlike leo-j's outlandish pro-PS3 predictions, or that annoying new 360 thread-creating guy. 
Other than that, is it just that he is supposedly "nice" and puts little smiley faces in his comments?  Are people really that desperate for a little cheeriness in their lives?

I mean, the guy signs all of his own posts, in case anyone forgets who wrote it by the time they get through all of that meandering drivel.  And just look at his sig: he's supposedly thirty years old, yet it is reminiscent of a note written using ten different crayons by my little niece.

He has never demonstrated that he possesses even the most remedial understanding of statistical analysis, yet according to his profile he has "insight on this industry gathered from years of being end user & customer." 
I am, for obvious reasons, reminded of this audition scene from the movie Bowfinger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL7fnQ5U3Cc

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick