By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Saleschat- starring John Lucas & Mr.Stickball (and friends)

rocketpig said:
Vienna said:

before the Wii launch JL was the only person that said that the Wii will be a big success. everyone said that this prediction is a big failure and that he is stupid.

isn't it really IRONIC that this prediction (with the smallest chance ever) IS CORRECT ?

Actually, that's not ironic.

Why do so many revere JL's one wild prediction that he got right and ignore the many wild ones he got wrong?

One could make a Jim Jones and Kool-Aid joke here but I'm above that. :D

Why did people call the Psychic friends hotline?

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

What I take from John Lucas is a counter balance to the hater. They say Wii is a fad and no one plays it anymore. He says 240 million lock. They say Wiifit is destroying gaming as we know it. He says it will usher in a new era of gamers and gaming.

I feel comfortable in the middle.

It is the ying and yang of VGChartz. As long as we maintain this dicotomy the community will stay interesting.

More specifically I see John's Predictions more like other prophecies told by excentrics wearing sandwich boards. He is not TheSource nor is he trying to be. But lets face it if "the end is nigh" I know who I am talking to first. For those who tell him t olook at statistics they have it all wrong. He predicts from his gut.

My arguement against some of his wild predictions is the natural conservative nature of Nintendo. They like being 3000 employees. They like beng a game company. They are not a hardware company. They are an idea company. For his numbers to come true would require Nintendo to behave more like Microsoft. The will never be that heavy handed.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

This thread is surprisingly devoid of fire and brimstone. Wut's a' hapnin here?!

Actually, I've always been a big Wii supporter myself. I've been on record since early 06, stating the Wii would be Nintendo's biggest succuess since the NES.

Unfortunately, no one cares about people that don't get on the Wii Hype train so...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

John Lucas- oh you don't have to do any of this. Although most of your predictiosn are quite insane, and really I don't know how through analysis you can get them, at least you take the time and effort to do this. Everyone else just sits back in the dark and waits for someone else to be bold, and then criticizes them there after. At least ya got balls bro. I respect that.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
This thread is surprisingly devoid of fire and brimstone. Wut's a' hapnin here?!

JL's got charisma.

Even those who hate him respect him enough not to flame unless he flames them first.

And if they did flame him, he would listen then post his beliefs instead of countering.

John Lucas is one of the few who manages to break the cycle of hate.

*waits for someone to label me a JL worshipper* 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

DKII said:
Before the generation there were lots of people predicting crazy things for all systems. Some of them have to be right by coincidence. John Lucas just happens to be one of those. ;>

Before this generation began most peole said PS3 woudl do crazy numbers. After E3 more people started to say the Wii would do good sort fo based off of the E3 lines and the DS's success. But when John posted at Joystiq many many many people made fun of his predictions and he stood out there as saying the Wii was going to win this generation and very very very few people agreed with him and most called him nuts.

I rememebr when the DS was announced and I was a laughing stock of SPONG for saying it was going to sell 3 times as much as the PSP.

As far as I go I do believe the Wii will be at 50 million at the end of this year. I do not think that is insane and will be mostly because of the US sales. I don't think Nintendo could manufacture 40 million next year. I also predict the Wii will be supply constraint until June of 08.

Redspear: You mean 50 million Wiis NEXT year, right? You wrote this year.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

sinha said:
rubido said:
If you let fanboyism influence your predictions, that is what you get. Outrageous and unprofessional predictions that miss the truth by miles.

My only guess is that his popularity around these parts is because his ridiculous predictions are so pro-Wii, unlike leo-j's outlandish pro-PS3 predictions, or that annoying new 360 thread-creating guy.
Other than that, is it just that he is supposedly "nice" and puts little smiley faces in his comments? Are people really that desperate for a little cheeriness in their lives?

QFT. I have nothing against his posts. I just usually don't read them anymore.

Chadius said:
Redspear: You mean 50 million Wiis NEXT year, right? You wrote this year.

Yes I menat by the end of 2008 not this year obviously. I think relistically the best the Wii can do this year is 18.5 million.