By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

AnthonyW86 said:

Again the statement wasn't that the Wii isn't more powerfull than the Gamecube, it is that the Wii is a refurbished Gamecube hardware wise. And since most of it's architecture is indeed identical this still holds true. It's also stated that Nintendo will probably be the first to come out with a new console because of the Wii being least powerfull console of this gen, and that's only logical aswell.

I really don't see anything wrong in what this Ubisoft dev said.

The Wii is due to be replaced soon, 2012/2013 are the most likely periods. The reason for creating the Wii with less power compared to its rivalling consoles is down to Sega and its lack of success with the Dreamcast. Nintendo decided to take a separate route after the lack of success with the Gamecube and adopted Motion Controls as opposed to adopting HD for the Wii. 

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
Resident_Hazard said:

I don't think images of people waggling in vain are the way to go with this... Frankly, I find that, in a lot of cases, traditional controller-based gameplay is superior to Wii Waggle--especially when said waggle is either illogical or fundamentally broken. 

Anyway, I think it's surprising that people are still upset when someone points out that the Wii isn't a graphical powerhouse.  True, it's not a refurbished GameCube, but it is typically jus a supercharged GameCube.  Nintendo's own people have, themselves, said so much. 

I think some of you are just really stretching to hate one guy from UbiSoft.  Settle down, and stop taking this shit so personally.  Why does it always seem to go like this:

Dev from 3rd party studio: "We're basically used to developing on HD systems these days and have gotten into a groove where it's almost easier making games there than for the Wii.  The Wii's general lack of power just makes some things more difficult to program and write, and there are restrictions we don't have elsewhere. We can't even use current-gen game engines on there."

Angry Nintendo fan: "YOUR MOTHER!!  Your games suck anyway!  He just hates the Wii, and therefore vicariously, he hates me and he called me gay and kicked my dog!  How dare he point out that the Wii isn't as powerful as the Xbox360 or PS3!  How dare he have an opinion on game development from a developer's point of view! I know better, I'm a consumer!"

This is just nothing to be outraged over.  Also, this post is nothing to be all outraged over because there is some sarcasm buried within.  Luckily, there's an upcoming hot Metroid injection that should cool some nerves.

So... if you admit that what the guy said isn't true, why are you defending him? The key point of his statement was the 'refurbished Gamecube' part. Had he just said 'the Wii isn't as powerful as PS3/360', then nobody would have batted an eyelid, other than to say... well, duh.

Oh semantics, thou is truly a double-edged... thing-a-ma-jig.  All I disagreed with was the term "refurbished," which I would typically read as "rebuilt and functional like new."  That's why I use "supercharged."  The Wii is just GameCube hardware with some extra torque. 

My big point is that this is pretty clearly set-up as a bitch-fest against "another person who hates/doesn't get the Wii."  Essentially, what the guy said is true, I just disagree with his terminology.  And I understand how he could be frustrated with the thing.   

Rainbow Yoshi said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Again the statement wasn't that the Wii isn't more powerfull than the Gamecube, it is that the Wii is a refurbished Gamecube hardware wise. And since most of it's architecture is indeed identical this still holds true. It's also stated that Nintendo will probably be the first to come out with a new console because of the Wii being least powerfull console of this gen, and that's only logical aswell.

The Wii is due to be replaced soon, 2012/2013 are the most likely periods. The reason for creating the Wii with less power compared to its rivalling consoles is down to Sega and its lack of success with the Dreamcast. Nintendo decided to take a separate route after the lack of success with the Gamecube and adopted Motion Controls as opposed to adopting HD for the Wii. 

The Wii's motion controls were actually designed for the GC to begin with.  They were planned to extend the life of the system but Iwata and Miyamoto agreed that it would work better as a whole new console.  It had nothing to do with the GC as a failure because it wasn't a failure at all...it was profitable console.   Work on the Wii remote began in 2001.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
AnthonyW86 said:

The Wii's motion controls were actually designed for the GC to begin with.  They were planned to extend the life of the system but Iwata and Miyamoto agreed that it would work better as a whole new console.  It had nothing to do with the GC as a failure because it wasn't a failure at all...it was profitable console.   Work on the Wii remote began in 2001.

And there's a key point there. Nintendo knew it would take a new console to make motion controls fly. This is something Sony and Microsoft are going to have to learn the hard way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Resident_Hazard said:
Shadowfest3 said:

Either way, like I said in a previous post, I am enjoying my "advanced Gamecube" so I really don't care what one developer states.  Also, just because one developer states this doesn't mean he/she speaks for all of Ubisoft.

I hope this helps with this debate.  If it doesn't then at least I tried :).

I enjoy my Supercharged GameCube as well (I like the term supercharged over advanced, just my preferance).  Maybe it helps that we own other current-gen consoles...

That way, we don't get all wound up feeling like we're "being mistreated by third party companies" when we don't get something on the Wii that is on the Xbox or PS3.  Maybe that's the secret to enjoying the Wii for what it is...  I don't get all wound up if a multi-platform game doesn't come to the Wii, I just buy it for the Xbox360 as nature intended.  And conversely, I tend to enjoy the exclusive games the Wii tends to offer.  Like MadWorld and the RE: Chronicles games.

Supercharged GameCube...I love it!

Around the Network
guiduc said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
oni-link said:

Man this is a Wii trolls dream come true!!! This is GOLDEN how every used up cliche appears in this one forum...EPIC in deed!!! BTW combining the HD twins is such a pathetic way to hide on the massive failure that is the PS3.  Out of all the console makers Sony is the only one to digress in sales compared to last gen and by a HUGE margin.  I doubt they'll be able to recoup their losses ever on that system; especially since the pirates finally (YES even playing field for all consoles now!!!!) infiltrated the system!!!!

? talk about Nintendo failure full past. from 60m NES to 24m gamecube.

from industry leader to last place. you act like thats new when it always happens.

Well, oni is right. While the PS performed well, and the PS2 even better, I consider the PS3 to be a massive failure. It isn't able to reach the numbers the PS2 had at that time.

given but the top dog always falls or fails. sega atari and nintendo comited the biggest sin of all in the 5th gen when they wouldn't let 3rd party publishers work on N64.

joeorc said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
oni-link said:

Man this is a Wii trolls dream come true!!! This is GOLDEN how every used up cliche appears in this one forum...EPIC in deed!!! BTW combining the HD twins is such a pathetic way to hide on the massive failure that is the PS3.  Out of all the console makers Sony is the only one to digress in sales compared to last gen and by a HUGE margin.  I doubt they'll be able to recoup their losses ever on that system; especially since the pirates finally (YES even playing field for all consoles now!!!!) infiltrated the system!!!!

? talk about Nintendo failure full past. from 60m NES to 24m gamecube.

from industry leader to last place. you act like thats new when it always happens.

yes because only Sony deserves it..did'nt you get the memo..lol

"the massive failure that is the PS3."

lol...an just think this generation..hold the presses..is over with now...good thing there is no more sales going on of these current generation system's..lol

yea. not future proof. 7th gen consoles the biggest failure of consoles ever? the big 3 can't do anything right (lol)

Wii's pixels are duck-taped GC's ones. Wii would be a rip-off, but, luckily, duck-tape nicely fixes it. That's the reasone why Wii comes bundled with duck-tape, had they done almost the same with GC too, selling pairs of them bundled with duck-tape and fool-proof do-it-yourself instructions, it would have been a success too, instead of a miserable flop.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Cheebee said:
KylieDog said:

Since no one has posted images of the GCs actual best looking game.

Thank you. I was going to post some images from the Rogue Squadron games myself, and wondered why no-one else had, yet. Glad to see there's at least SOMEONE who remembers just how great these games looked.

Those games look even better in component on an HDTV. I foamed at the mouth the first time I booted it up on my GameCube connected to my HD set.

Well, people are here to complain about the Wii... ok? Do you complain because you own one and you're not satisfied or you complain because you own another console? Since you don't have it, why do you bother yourself to come here and insult the console I love? Because Nintendo must do big advanced consoles and fail in sales to please your ego?