By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Soma said:
Antabus said:
Soma said:

Well, looking at Madden sales, the 07 and 08 sold better on Wii than PS3.  09 was the first time it sold better on PS3 and coincidence or not, it was when they started to make it "cartoony".

Madden 08 sold more than 09 on wii. But guess what? Madden 10 sold even less than 09. And that game was not "cartoony" like 09.

That's a screenshot of Madden 10

That seriously made me shutter, I didn't mind the more solid colors of things like NCAA 09 (the 2008 game) but the next year when Madden 2010 came out I was thinking what did they do to the game?  At one point they had a good plan of making unique game play for the football games on Wii and even making it a bit more realistic with drawing new lines right before a play... now its all about being really easy and cheesy 

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Soma said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

Certain art appeals to certain people though.

Much like certain consoles appeal to certain people.

Hence, that said art doesn't do as well on certain consoles.

Look at the recent sales of Madden 11 as a perfect example. The PS3 version sold 5 times more than the Wii version, despite the Wii userbase in NA being 3 times larger...

Sometimes. The consumers just aren't there.

Well, looking at Madden sales, the 07 and 08 sold better on Wii than PS3.  09 was the first time it sold better on PS3 and coincidence or not, it was when they started to make it "cartoony".

That doesn't surprise me one bit considering how the PS3 was selling back in 07/08.

That's true, but it also indicates that Wii owners were interested in playing Madden on Wii. After 09 the sales have been in decline, either the cartoony look or the gameplay mechanics were not so good, but EA failed to keep people interested on the Wii version.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Soma said:
Carl2291 said:
Soma said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

Look at the recent sales of Madden 11 as a perfect example. The PS3 version sold 5 times more than the Wii version, despite the Wii userbase in NA being 3 times larger...

That doesn't surprise me one bit considering how the PS3 was selling back in 07/08.

That's true, but it also indicates that Wii owners were interested in playing Madden on Wii. After 09 the sales have been in decline, either the cartoony look or the gameplay mechanics were not so good, but EA failed to keep people interested on the Wii version.

It could also mean that the Wii's Madden audience was maxed at that point. While the PS3's and 360's Madden audience continued to grow.

You should also ask yourself, for what reason were the games made cartoony on Wii?

And how about FIFA? How's the sales of FIFA been between them?

Carl2291 said:
Soma said:
Carl2291 said:
Soma said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

It could also mean that the Wii's Madden audience was maxed at that point. While the PS3's and 360's Madden audience continued to grow.

You should also ask yourself, for what reason were the games made cartoony on Wii?

Well, according to VGChartz, Fifa 08 had the best sales, Fifa 09 "All Play" the worst, and Fifa 10 slightly better than 09. Fifa 10 World Cup had a terrible start, but it was released in summer unlike the others.... still hard to think it will have a huge bump.

I don't think Wii audience in both series was maxed. It looks like EA just failed and word of mouth was not so good. Why do they have cartoony graphics? Maybe EA thinks people (kids) prefer it that way, but I'm not sure of that. Show a kid the Wii version and PS3 version, and will probably prefer the amazing visuals of the PS3 version.

Carl2291 said:

The first FIFA sold about 1M copies whereas the sequels, which are more colourful but not cartoony, sold about 800-850K copies. The problem is the first FIFA was a rather weak game and this probably hurt the sequels sales.

In the other hand, PES for Wii is a very good game with graphics aiming at a realistic presentation. The first sold slightly better than FIFA were the sequels flopped. Problem lies in the fact they were released without marketing support several months after the HD versions, about the middle of the European season. Also, VGChartz numbers are underestimated, as they seem not to track the excellent record of PES in Latin America.

Around the Network
Monteblanco said:
Carl2291 said:

The first FIFA sold about 1M copies whereas the sequels, which are more colourful but not cartoony, sold about 800-850K copies. The problem is the first FIFA was a rather weak game and this probably hurt the sequels sales.

In the other hand, PES for Wii is a very good game with graphics aiming at a realistic presentation. The first sold slightly better than FIFA were the sequels flopped. Problem lies in the fact they were released without marketing support several months after the HD versions, about the middle of the European season. Also, VGChartz numbers are severely underestimated, as KONAMI told that PES 2010's Latin America sales were over 450K, which is more than VGChartz's worldwide numbers.

Do you have a link to that? I skip on that one but glad it sold so good :D

I think we're getting a bit confused on Madden for a sec. Madden 9 was non-cartoony, but was re-branded as "All Play" which probably deferred sales in some point because consumers thought it was a different game. EA took the exact wrong lesson from that, and decided to differentiate the game visually as well, and given that they don't seem to be acknowledging 11 Wii's existence beyond it actually existing, don't seem to care.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I think we're getting a bit confused on Madden for a sec. Madden 9 was non-cartoony, but was re-branded as "All Play" which probably deferred sales in some point because consumers thought it was a different game. EA took the exact wrong lesson from that, and decided to differentiate the game visually as well, and given that they don't seem to be acknowledging 11 Wii's existence beyond it actually existing, don't seem to care.

hmmm are you sure of that?

Soma said:
Mr Khan said:

Guess i was wrong. For some reason i just remember it getting the different name, not the full-on different treatment.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Soma said:
Mr Khan said:

Guess i was wrong. For some reason i just remember it getting the different name, not the full-on different treatment.

Well the mode depicted was a more arcade style mode, though 09 was the first year the colors started to become brighter and more basic.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000