By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Soma said:

Well, looking at Madden sales, the 07 and 08 sold better on Wii than PS3.  09 was the first time it sold better on PS3 and coincidence or not, it was when they started to make it "cartoony".

Madden 08 sold more than 09 on wii. But guess what? Madden 10 sold even less than 09. And that game was not "cartoony" like 09.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Wii60 = 115 million

PS3 = 37 million

I guess people also love their non-Sony non-Blu ray consoles!

See how silly it is to compare the sales of two consoles against one?

Also, keep in mind 360 came out a year before the Wii. If it had not, Wii probably would have more sales then both HD consoles anyway.

No.

ATI = 115M

Nvidia = 37M

People just love ATI. Has nothing to do with the console manufacturers name, they just want a console with an ATI chip. PS3 owners? Bah! Nvidia owners... pffffffft

Tease.

Antabus said:
Soma said:

Well, looking at Madden sales, the 07 and 08 sold better on Wii than PS3.  09 was the first time it sold better on PS3 and coincidence or not, it was when they started to make it "cartoony".

Madden 08 sold more than 09 on wii. But guess what? Madden 10 sold even less than 09. And that game was not "cartoony" like 09.

It's entirely plausible that the release of Madden 09 in all it's 'cartoony' glory killed the interest in the franchise on Wii for a lot of people for fairly obvious reasons.

The drop off in sales in subsequent years is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
Antabus said:
Soma said:

It's entirely plausible that the release of Madden 09 in all it's 'cartoony' glory killed the interest in the franchise on Wii for a lot of people for fairly obvious reasons.

The drop off in sales in subsequent years is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

That sounds like an excuse. 10 is not cartoony but it won't sell because... 09 was cartoony? Yeah, that is logical.

HexenLord said:

I don't think people here are quite using their brains.

1. The OVERALL capabilities from GC -> Wii were less than 25% of the increase of either the Xbox -> 360 or PS2 -> PS3. It wasn't much of a buff from Gamecube in perspective terms. Is it basically the same thing? Sadly, yes. While the Wii might be more powerful, it still can't really do anything that the GC couldn't do other than render a few more polygons.

2. Nintendo fans are huge retro fans. They will be a Nintendo console just because its a Nintendo console. They will buy NEW Super Mario Brothers just because its a Mario game, even though its not a huge technological advancement over Mario games of 10 years ago. Saying that the WIi doesn't equal the GC just because the Wii sells better is futile.

3. You can't say the Wii is more powerful just because you think that the best Wii game looks better than the best GC game. Sorry, but technology has advanced outside of the gaming industry in leaps and bounds between now and when the GC was current gen. Games were going to look better regardless of hardware. If the GC was still current gen, the games would look far better now than they did 5 years ago. Another futile argument.

4. I'm still stricken by the amount of people who relentlessly and aimlessly defend the Wii's shoddy capabilities when someone brings them into question. Even IF its more powerful than the GC, the Wii is still a last-gen console in terms of hardware output and game quality.

Fact: Wii is not a refurished GC.

Fact: Wii is more powerful than GC.

Fact: Stating facts to refute faulty logic and fanboyism isn't a defense of the system, it's a controvert of ignorance.

And Antabus, it's not an excuse at al.  After EA's handling of Madden in 09, it killed my interst in the series on Wii.  And 10 was very much more cartoony than the standard presentation.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

And Antabus, it's not an excuse at al.  After EA's handling of Madden in 09, it killed my interst in the series on Wii.  And 10 was very much more cartoony than the standard presentation.

I really don't get this. If one game has been cartoony (is there something wrong with that?) and the next one is not, you can't be interested in the next game because of the earlier one? I guess the 10 or 11 isn't like 09 if you felt that it was a bad game.

What is the point of that? I checked your game collection and you have many cartoony games...

Antabus said:
milkyjoe said:
Antabus said:
Soma said:

That sounds like an excuse. 10 is not cartoony but it won't sell because... 09 was cartoony? Yeah, that is logical.

The logic is sound. People buy these Madden games and others like them every year. If I have a bad experience one year, or if I feel the quality of the franchise is declining, I'm less likely to go back the next year. To deny this happens is to deny the obvious. PES was the king of football/soccer games five years ago. Now it is FIFA. Why did PES decline? The story is the same on several different message boards and forums all over the internet. It's because people felt that Konami weren't delivering the same high quality experience as they used to, and they haven't bought a PES game since because they can get that high quality experience elsewhere.

To me, that reads very similar to what happened with Madden on Wii. They didn't deliver the same experience as before, people deserted the franchise on the console and they haven't gone back...

But no, you're right, that kind of thing just doesn't happen.

VGChartz

HexenLord said:

I don't think people here are quite using their brains.

1. The OVERALL capabilities from GC -> Wii were less than 25% of the increase of either the Xbox -> 360 or PS2 -> PS3. It wasn't much of a buff from Gamecube in perspective terms. Is it basically the same thing? Sadly, yes. While the Wii might be more powerful, it still can't really do anything that the GC couldn't do other than render a few more polygons.

2. Nintendo fans are huge retro fans. They will be a Nintendo console just because its a Nintendo console. They will buy NEW Super Mario Brothers just because its a Mario game, even though its not a huge technological advancement over Mario games of 10 years ago. Saying that the WIi doesn't equal the GC just because the Wii sells better is futile.

3. You can't say the Wii is more powerful just because you think that the best Wii game looks better than the best GC game. Sorry, but technology has advanced outside of the gaming industry in leaps and bounds between now and when the GC was current gen. Games were going to look better regardless of hardware. If the GC was still current gen, the games would look far better now than they did 5 years ago. Another futile argument.

4. I'm still stricken by the amount of people who relentlessly and aimlessly defend the Wii's shoddy capabilities when someone brings them into question. Even IF its more powerful than the GC, the Wii is still a last-gen console in terms of hardware output and game quality.

how is it last generation?

if you mean because it does not use multiple core's than yes you could say that, and yes i would agree with that it is using last generation hardware for today's generation of gaming.

but saying the Wii's Game quality is last generation I will not agree with that statement at all, for the simple fact is the Game cube did not concentrate on Motion control's to make them a foundation of the IDEA's of game development and as a seperate platform of game development for the Wii.

look at it this way, just because there is motion control's for the Wii does not mean the developer's had to use it, they could have used just standard game pad control's the Wii's confroller can be used for non motion control's.

The Idea that removes the Wii as a last generation system is at its core "is a new way to develop games for a system" many people thought of development as only for just a game pad, but motion control's add another layer for game development.

this not only benefited Wii but the entire industry, an no it was not only Nintendo that saw that ,it was many even in other companies that saw the effect that would enable new idea's and new way's to develop software for system's. It was getting the higher up's to go forward that was the problem. By Nintendo doing what they did, they did move the industry forward,but they were far from alone.

That is why the Wii is not a last generation system.For one the game cube did not have this effect on the current generation of system's.

There is thing's all three companies have that are changing the idea that seperates these consoles from the previous generation of system's ,and it's not just the hardware on how much polygon's you can shift, it's the IDEAS that come from development to be used on the hardware. The hardware is great an all it give's you an idea of the machines performance, but that Hardware does not make the machine a next generation system what makes it a next generation system is the IDEA that make a change from the previous generation and what develops out of that.

your going to have some thing's that stay pretty much the same with minor tweaks..that's a givin, but there will be thing's that define your new system that seperates the system from last generation, it may not even be game releated but what your system does that seperates it due to an idea that developer's made an effort to put forth on the machine that  may change someone's perception of what that machine is.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

milkyjoe said:

The logic is sound. People buy these Madden games and others like them every year. If I have a bad experience one year, or if I feel the quality of the franchise is declining, I'm less likely to go back the next year. To deny this happens is to deny the obvious. PES was the king of football/soccer games five years ago. Now it is FIFA. Why did PES decline? The story is the same on several different message boards and forums all over the internet. It's because people felt that Konami weren't delivering the same high quality experience as they used to, and they haven't bought a PES game since because they can get that high quality experience elsewhere.

To me, that reads very similar to what happened with Madden on Wii. They didn't deliver the same experience as before, people deserted the franchise on the console and they haven't gone back...

But no, you're right, that kind of thing just doesn't happen.

So wouldn't that work the other way too? If they fix what was "wrong" about 09 in 10 then 11 should sell more, right? Also I would not say deserted. Madden 08 sold 0.96m, 09 sold 0.86m and 10 sold 0.72m. Some may have moved to other consoles, for whatever reason but deserted is exaggerating it.

Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

I really don't get this. If one game has been cartoony (is there something wrong with that?) and the next one is not, you can't be interested in the next game because of the earlier one? I guess the 10 or 11 isn't like 09 if you felt that it was a bad game.

What is the point of that? I checked your game collection and you have many cartoony games...

I have a family and am also a member of the media and therefore receive games for review.  So my collection is heavily mixed between those I buy from personal demand, family interests and business responsibility.

Besides, just because I like the cartoony nature of some products does not mean I wish it upon all products.   Madden being one of them.  If I wanted Backyard Footbal, I'd have bought Backyard Football.  And as I already noted, Madden 10 is still cartoony comapred to the series canon.

The rEVOLution is not being televised