By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Viper1 said:

Going to say this and I apologize if it hurts your feelings.  But if you don't know what the word refurbished means, don't reply to this thread.  Several of you are making yourselves out to look quite foolish.  It would be funny if it wasn't quite so sad.

Refurbished means a single unit in non-wroking condition is repaired back to the original working condition.

To call the Wii a refurbished Gamecube is to show your lack of understanding of the word.

By those standards the only people having their kitchens refurbished would be those people recovering from natural disaster/fire. This however isn't the case. If I had my kitchen refurbished, it would have a better oven/fridge/stove top but it would still be the same kitchen.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Viper1 said:

Going to say this and I apologize if it hurts your feelings.  But if you don't know what the word refurbished means, don't reply to this thread.  Several of you are making yourselves out to look quite foolish.  It would be funny if it wasn't quite so sad.

Refurbished means a single unit in non-wroking condition is repaired back to the original working condition.

To call the Wii a refurbished Gamecube is to show your lack of understanding of the word.

By those standards the only people having their kitchens refurbished would be those people recovering from natural disaster/fire. This however isn't the case. If I had my kitchen refurbished, it would have a better oven/fridge/stove top but it would still be the same kitchen.

Actually, that's quite true.

The correct terminology would be to renovate your kitchen.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Squilliam said:
Viper1 said:

Actually, that's quite true.

The correct terminology would be to renovate your kitchen.

refurbish  (riːˈfɜːbɪʃ)
vb
  ( tr ) to make neat, clean, or complete, as by renovating, re-equipping, or restoring

It is still correct to use it in that context.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/refurbish

Tease.

Either way, in the consumer electronics industry, reburbishment is the repair to working order of a non-working or malfunctioning product.  It is never associated in any fashion with a whole product line, a new product line, improvements to a unit or product beyond original spec, etc...

With the way some of guys call the Wii a refurbished GC, you could say the Slim is a refurbished PS3.  But that's just as incorrect.

And as for the kitchen analogy, go looking up kitchen refurbishing and kitchen renovation in Google and tell me the difference in the returns.  The former is about restoring while the latter is about replacing.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Hes not in the consumer electronics industry. He makes games, not fridges. Its pretty obvious he was meaning it in that context.

Tease.

Around the Network

i thought games are a part of consumer electronics.

The guy seems kind of ignorant, a little funny that companies like Ubisoft hire these kinds of numb-skulls on. Wii and Gamecube are two totally different experiences. One was PS2 junior, the other marked one of the most revolutionary moments in videogame history. Also, if you take a look at the sales results, Gamecube sold 20 million units in its entire lifetime; Wii has sold about 75 million units, so far. Now I don't think anyone can argue how a refurbished gamecube managed to become the fastest selling videogame system in history.

You could more accurately say that the PS3 is just a PS2 with a faster CPU. Would that be accurate to what the system really is?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Gamecube sold 20 million units in its entire lifetime; Wii has sold about 75 million units

So, totalling that to 95M, which is more than PS3 X360.