By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

RolStoppable said:

And the Dualshock 3 is a refurbished Dualshock 2 which was a refurbished Dualshock. And the 360 is a refurbished... um... 360.

Lmao...that was good!

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
Zlejedi said:
Metallicube said:

Read my #2 above. Nintendo fans buy things because they are Nintendo products. Nintendo fans buy Mario games just because its Mario. They are retro fans.

Other than that, 'younger' gamers are more likely to get the cheaper kiddy console for Christmas than the slightly older ones who have to get a job and buy it themselves. The Wii doesn't outsell because its better, it sells better because its targeted to a younger audience (other than the retro gamers).

Uh huh.. And who exactly are you to say whether or not the Wii is "better," are you the god of gaming or something?

Quality is relative. The only TRUE and universal way we can measure quality is through sales, because it shows that the product is appealing to the most people. If Wii TRUELY was not "better" than its competition, at least in some ways, it would not outsell them. Simple as that.

Selling to young people has nothing to do with Wii selling 30 million more than its nearest competition. Last I check there are just as many young people in the world as older people. In fact these days there seem to be MORE young adults playing videogames than children.

That's a good joke. By your definition McDonald offers some of the higgest quality food in the world. And that's what Wii precisely is - cheap well advertised hamburger for masses which will fill your gaming stomach but won't be a choice for most people who like to eat good dishes (core gamer).

Ok, so then what is quality?  See what I mean.. ANYTHING you answer, will be your opinion, which means it is relative.

What is it about Resident Evil 5 for instance that makes it so superior to Just Dance? What if a 12 year old girl loves Just Dance but can't stand Resident Evil. Is she right or are you? You both have equal fun when playing your respective games, so who's to say one opinion is more "valid" than the other?

Again, I realize we all have our own definition of quality,variety is the spice of life and all that, but what I am saying is the only way something relative like "quality" can truely be MEASURED in a concrete way is to look at what the MOST people like, in other words, SALES. It is the biggest sample size.

Think of a politician; if a politician recieves the most votes, they are generally viewed as the best politician suited for office. Sales work in a similar way, as people are voting with their wallets. They are investing their hard earned money in them, and thus saying "this is what I view to be best, and I'm showing my support by spending my money on it."

Think of many of the works of art, artists, entertainers, authors, books, games, movies, etc. of the past that we currently consider to be the standard of quality in our society. They are likely people/things/ideas that recieved the most popularity and thus have withstood the test of time in society. The things that weren't as popular faded, and were forgotten, because they weren't as liked. The things that stand the test of time are generally the things that recieve the most acclaim, or sales. And it's these things that are viewed in the grand scheme of things as being of the most quality.

The McDonald's comparison is laughable. Much of its food is notoriously BAD for you. Thus it is of less quality (for the human body at least).. Is playing Wii "bad for you?" I doubt you could make a serious argument that it is. In fact, it is actually quite good for you. Just look at Wii Fit :)

Quality in games is very easy to define- the games with highest quality are those that push the hardware restrictions to the boundaries of what's possible for the system. Therefore SMG1&2 are top quality games even if i don't want to even touch them with 10 foot long pole Just Dance is low quality which happens to be fun for some people.

Also political analogy would be correct if we lived in ancient Athens but since Romans invented populism it's hard to assosiate word quality with politicians. Especially when president election in USA can depend on who looked better in tv debate.

Now you mention books  but can you honestly say that Twilight saga is high quality book ? It's written like a crap and yet sells shitload of pieces. Also a lot of what we know as quality authors or painters died in poverty because they had problems with finding buyers for their stuff.

With the current day trend if something sells well it's usually sign it's accesible mainstream product , high quality stuff usually doesn't sell nowhere near it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

guiduc said:

I don't know what's the problem this generation, nobody seems able to reach Super Mario Galaxy's 2 graphics but it seems Nintendo can.

3DS should save the relationship between N and 3rd.

lol, no.  3DS already has an insanely impressive prelaunch lineup (moreso than basically any Nintendo system since SNES), and the most visually stunning titles (MGS3D, RE Revelations) are 3rd party.

3ds already got all the big 3rd party titles.
Wii is an upgraded cube rather than refurbished if anything.Its top looking games beat by a mile Cubes COUNTERPARTS.
Cant imagine how good Rogue would look now.

intro94 said:

3ds already got all the big 3rd party titles.
Wii is an upgraded cube rather than refurbished if anything.Its top looking games beat by a mile Cubes COUNTERPARTS.
Cant imagine how good Rogue would look now.

At the very least, smoother polygon models and a lot more effects.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

It is a fact that the Wii is basically a refurbished Gamecube, this has been confirmed many times. Even most components are basically identical, with the major difference being that both the cpu and gpu of the Wii are clocked 50% higher than they were in the Gamecube. This is only logical since the production process hade been improved over the years.

Also the Wii has a total of 88mb compared to the Gamecube's 40mb, but again using the same architecture.

So again yes the Wii is more powerfull than the Gamecube, but it's mostly the same machine. Furthermore in some parts like the cpu even the old Xbox is said to be slightly more powerfull than a Wii.

AnthonyW86 said:

It is a fact that the Wii is basically a refurbished Gamecube, this has been confirmed many times. Even most components are basically identical, with the major difference being that both the cpu and gpu of the Wii are clocked 50% higher than they were in the Gamecube. This is only logical since the production process hade been improved over the years.

Also the Wii has a total of 88mb compared to the Gamecube's 40mb, but again using the same architecture.

So again yes the Wii is more powerfull than the Gamecube, but it's mostly the same machine. Furthermore in some parts like the cpu even the old Xbox is said to be slightly more powerfull than a Wii.

no, the wii cpu is quite stronger, using Power PC rather than much older pentium III tech of the xbox. Theres only one thing ,and thats the shader unit supporting that older CPU of the Xbox.  Wii has to do the shading processes within the GPU itself.

AnthonyW86 said:

You are wrong though. The Wii's memory isn't the same technology at all. It's not only over twice as much memory, it's also much faster with much lower latencies. And Wii's PowerPC CPU is at least 2 times as powerful as the crappy Xbox's Pentium.

I found this on Wikipedia so I don't know how reliable it is.

Technical specifications

Nintendo has released few technical details regarding the Wii system, but some key facts have leaked through the press. Though none of these reports has been officially confirmed, they generally point to the console as being an extension or advancement of the Nintendo GameCube architecture. More specifically, the reported analyses state that the Wii is roughly 1.5 to 2 times as powerful as its predecessor.[1][111] Based on the leaked specifications, the Wii is the least powerful of the major home consoles in its generation.

Wii specs given by Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications

Processors:

Memory:

Ports and peripheral capabilities:

• Up to 16 Wii Remote controllers (10 in Standard Mode, 6 in One Time Mode,[117] connected wirelessly via Bluetooth)
  • Nintendo GameCube controller ports (4)
  • Nintendo GameCube Memory Card slots (2)
  • SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards as of System Menu 4.0)
  • USB 2.0 ports (2)
  • Sensor Bar power port
  • Accessory port on bottom of Wii Remote
  • Optional USB keyboard input in message board, Wii Shop Channel, and the Internet Channel (as of 3.0 and 3.1 firmware update)[118]
  • Mitsumi DWM-W004 WiFi 802.11b/g wireless module[119]
  • Compatible with optional USB 2.0 to Ethernet LAN adaptor
  • 'AV Multi Out' port (See 'Video' section right)

Built-in content ratings systems:

Storage:

• 512 MB built-in NAND flash memory
  • Expanded storage via SD and SDHC card memory (up to 32 GB)
  • Nintendo GameCube Memory Card (required for GameCube game saves)
IBM's Wii "Broadway" CPU
ATI's Wii "Hollywood" GPU
  • Slot-loading disc drive compatible with 8 cm Nintendo GameCube Game Disc and 12 cm Wii Optical Disc
  • Mask ROM by Macronix[120]

Video:

Audio:

Power consumption:

Gamecube specs given by Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_gamecube#Technical_specifications

Central processing unit:

System memory:

• 43 MB total non-unified RAM
  • 24 MB MoSys 1T-SRAM (codenamed "Splash") main system RAM, 324 MHz, 64-bit bus, 2.7 GB/s bandwidth[12]
  • 3 MB embedded 1T-SRAM within "Flipper"[13]
    • Split into 1 MB texture buffer and 2 MB framebuffer[13]
    • 10.4 GB/s texture peak bandwidth, 7.6 GB/s framebuffer peak bandwidth, ~6.2 ns latency[12]
  • 16 MB DRAM used as buffer for DVD drive and audio, 81 MHz, 8-bit bus, 81 MB/s bandwidth[12]

Connectivity:

• 4 controller ports, 2 memory card slots
  • MultiAV analog audio/video port: interlaced composite, Y/C(NTSC models only), and RGB(PAL models only) video, stereophonic analog audio
  • Digital audio/video port: interlaced or progressive scan YCBCR video, RGB video, stereophonic I²S audio
  • Resolutions: 480i, 576i, 480p
  • High-speed serial ports: 2
  • High-speed parallel ports: 1 (reserved for the Game Boy Player)
  • Power supply output: 12 volts DC x 3.25 amperes
  • Physical Measurements: 110 mm (H) × 150 mm (W) × 161 mm (D); [4.3"(H) × 5.9"(W) × 6.3"(D)]
IBM PowerPC "Gekko" processor

Graphics processing unit:

GameCube Disc

Storage media:

So if anyone would like they can compare for themselves and realize that the Wii is more powerful.  So instead of calling it a "refurbished Gamecube," which would indicate the same hardware, it would be more accurate to call the Wii an "advanced Gamecube" of sorts.

Either way, like I said in a previous post, I am enjoying my "advanced Gamecube" so I really don't care what one developer states.  Also, just because one developer states this doesn't mean he/she speaks for all of Ubisoft.

I hope this helps with this debate.  If it doesn't then at least I tried :).

RolStoppable said:

And the Dualshock 3 is a refurbished Dualshock 2 which was a refurbished Dualshock. And the 360 is a refurbished... um... 360.

OH the tears! They won't stop flowing! ROFLOL