By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Man this is a Wii trolls dream come true!!! This is GOLDEN how every used up cliche appears in this one forum...EPIC in deed!!! BTW combining the HD twins is such a pathetic way to hide on the massive failure that is the PS3.  Out of all the console makers Sony is the only one to digress in sales compared to last gen and by a HUGE margin.  I doubt they'll be able to recoup their losses ever on that system; especially since the pirates finally (YES even playing field for all consoles now!!!!) infiltrated the system!!!!

Around the Network

i buy it, but i wouldn't say that online on a site with over 60,000 people on it.

maybe a refurbished slightly more powerfull upgrade? yea thats better.

oni-link said:

Man this is a Wii trolls dream come true!!! This is GOLDEN how every used up cliche appears in this one forum...EPIC in deed!!! BTW combining the HD twins is such a pathetic way to hide on the massive failure that is the PS3.  Out of all the console makers Sony is the only one to digress in sales compared to last gen and by a HUGE margin.  I doubt they'll be able to recoup their losses ever on that system; especially since the pirates finally (YES even playing field for all consoles now!!!!) infiltrated the system!!!!

? talk about Nintendo failure full past. from 60m NES to 24m gamecube.

from industry leader to last place. you act like thats new when it always happens.

suoturska said:

This is a controversial statement? Wasn't it common knowledge that the Wii is little more than an overclocked Gamecube with a RAM upgrade?

...And motion controls, and a different design, and DVD9 media, and Wii channels, and SD card support, and 512mb flash memory, and Wiiware, and VC, and Wii Connect 24, and an entirely new online system, and a web browser, and twice the horsepower of Gamecube, and an entirely different game library than Gamecube. But yeah, it's just an overclocked Gamecube..

People that can't see the differences between Wii and Gamecube are usually nothing more than tech whores who can't see gaming in terms beyond graphical horsepower. For my money at least, the Xbox 360 is far more like the Xbox than Wii is like the Gamecube.

Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

You can't separate an artist from their art, or you get crappy work out of them. When the business side takes over, you get rushed out games with poor production values, and that's not good for consumers anyway. Regardless, this so-called problem has to do with how artists feel, and everyone is entitled to having opinions and feelings. Whether or not they know they are in a business (and most assuredly do) has nothing to do with it. You make it seem like these people are nothing but robots in a factory.   

I am all for artistic freedom and expression, but if an artist makes something that nobody likes, he or she will probably not be an artist for that long. After all what is the point of creating art if noone likes it but you?

If the art is turly that good, the artist shouldn't have to worry about the "business" side taking over or the supposed constraints imposed upon them, because enough people will connect with it regardless.

I would hardly say that creating stuff for HD consoles means that no one likes it. (Actually Post-Modernism sort of leans towards most people not appreciating, or understanding, contemporary art except for maybe art curators, historians and elite connoisseurs, but that is another discussion) The thing is, the technology exists to allow artists to achieve something closer to their vision and what they are taught to strive for in school, and to not take advantage of that is like a Renaissance artist being told that they can't use perspective and must do Medieval-style paintings.

I'm all for fantastic art style over polycount in games, I think Muramasa and Okami are beautiful, but those projects are few and far between and as far as I know, don't sell that well. Most artists who work on the Wii are assigned to make downgraded ports or games that don't really have art style in mind, and that will inform their opinion of the Wii itself.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

Around the Network

Wow, I think the Wii crapped in this guys cereal.

Carl2291 said:
guiduc said:

Just Dance saved Ubisoft's ass. Screw them, ungrateful.

I'm pretty sure they would have done just fine without Just Dance.

Assassin's Creed 2 selling 8 Million units within a year should keep them smiling. Nevermind the lower-tier games like Splinter Cell Conviction or whatever they released on DS.

People who think the Wii is NEEDED for developers to do well are just as ignorant as people like this guy in the OP.

No, but they have much more to smile with the awesome Just Dance's legs. I don't like them talk about trash while they don't even try to be much more than Gamecube.

I don't know what's the problem this generation, nobody seems able to reach Super Mario Galaxy's 2 graphics but it seems Nintendo can.

3DS should save the relationship between N and 3rd.

oni-link said:

And let's also combined the money both the 360 and PS3 lost. Having slightly more sales only makes up for that if you willingly ignore such massive losses.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
oni-link said:

from industry leader to last place. you act like thats new when it always happens.

Well, oni is right. While the PS performed well, and the PS2 even better, I consider the PS3 to be a massive failure. It isn't able to reach the numbers the PS2 had at that time.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
oni-link said:

yes because only Sony deserves it..did'nt you get the memo..lol

"the massive failure that is the PS3."

lol...an just think this generation..hold the presses..is over with now...good thing there is no more sales going on of these current generation system's..lol

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.