By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Metallicube said:

Wii60 = 115 million

PS3 = 37 million

I guess people also love their non-Sony non-Blu ray consoles!

See how silly it is to compare the sales of two consoles against one?

Also, keep in mind 360 came out a year before the Wii. If it had not, Wii probably would have more sales then both HD consoles anyway.

And if a cow had wings it would propably fly.

It is not that silly if a lot of people talk about hd twins when it comes to games. You grouped those consoles together yourself few posts earlier too.

Around the Network
spiffiness said:
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

You can't separate an artist from their art, or you get crappy work out of them. When the business side takes over, you get rushed out games with poor production values, and that's not good for consumers anyway. Regardless, this so-called problem has to do with how artists feel, and everyone is entitled to having opinions and feelings. Whether or not they know they are in a business (and most assuredly do) has nothing to do with it. You make it seem like these people are nothing but robots in a factory.   

I am all for artistic freedom and expression, but if an artist makes something that nobody likes, he or she will probably not be an artist for that long. After all what is the point of creating art if noone likes it but you?

If the art is turly that good, the artist shouldn't have to worry about the "business" side taking over or the supposed constraints imposed upon them, because enough people will connect with it regardless.

Antabus said:
Metallicube said:

Wii60 = 115 million

PS3 = 37 million

Also, keep in mind 360 came out a year before the Wii. If it had not, Wii probably would have more sales then both HD consoles anyway.

It is not that silly if a lot of people talk about hd twins when it comes to games. You grouped those consoles together yourself few posts earlier too.

Then I suppose I should have said "Wii is kicking the taints of the Xbox 360 AND the PS3," there now they are separate.

Nowhere did I say it was outselling them COMBINED.

Metallicube said:
Antabus said:
Metallicube said:

Wii60 = 115 million

PS3 = 37 million

Then I suppose I should have said "Wii is kicking the taints of the Xbox 360 AND the PS3," there now they are separate.

Nowhere did I say it was outselling them COMBINED.

I did not imply that you said that wii is outselling them combined, you just grouped them together. Just like a lot of people do.

Oh and from developers standpoint, 360 and PS3 are usually grouped together since porting games between them is pretty easy. From developers standpoint, those 2 consoles control the majority of HW and especially SW market.

HexenLord said:
Killiana1a said:

I pose this question Mr. Lavigne,

From what you are saying, I can gauge that you believe hardware is as important, if not more important than software in driving console sales. If this is the case, then why has the "refurbished Gamecube" to use your terminology, outsold both it's competitors, one of which has arguably more raw graphics processing power than the Wii and 360 combined?

How is your opinion, Mr. Lavigne, worth more than the 73.3 million customers who chose Wii over the 37 million customers who chose the PS3 or the 42.3 million who chose the 360?

If you value graphics and visuals so much Mr. Lavigne, should you not be in the film industry?

Read my #2 above. Nintendo fans buy things because they are Nintendo products. Nintendo fans buy Mario games just because its Mario. They are retro fans.

Other than that, 'younger' gamers are more likely to get the cheaper kiddy console for Christmas than the slightly older ones who have to get a job and buy it themselves. The Wii doesn't outsell because its better, it sells better because its targeted to a younger audience (other than the retro gamers).

Uh huh.. And who exactly are you to say whether or not the Wii is "better," are you the god of gaming or something?

Quality is relative. The only TRUE and universal way we can measure quality is through sales, because it shows that the product is appealing to the most people. If Wii TRUELY was not "better" than its competition, at least in some ways, it would not outsell them. Simple as that.

Selling to young people has nothing to do with Wii selling 30 million more than its nearest competition. Last I check there are just as many young people in the world as older people. In fact these days there seem to be MORE young adults playing videogames than children.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Uh huh.. And who exactly are you to say whether or not the Wii is "better," are you the god of gaming or something?

A consumer voicing his opinion. Who are you to judge him? God of opinions or something?

Metallicube said:
HexenLord said:
Killiana1a said:

I pose this question Mr. Lavigne,

From what you are saying, I can gauge that you believe hardware is as important, if not more important than software in driving console sales. If this is the case, then why has the "refurbished Gamecube" to use your terminology, outsold both it's competitors, one of which has arguably more raw graphics processing power than the Wii and 360 combined?

How is your opinion, Mr. Lavigne, worth more than the 73.3 million customers who chose Wii over the 37 million customers who chose the PS3 or the 42.3 million who chose the 360?

If you value graphics and visuals so much Mr. Lavigne, should you not be in the film industry?

Read my #2 above. Nintendo fans buy things because they are Nintendo products. Nintendo fans buy Mario games just because its Mario. They are retro fans.

Other than that, 'younger' gamers are more likely to get the cheaper kiddy console for Christmas than the slightly older ones who have to get a job and buy it themselves. The Wii doesn't outsell because its better, it sells better because its targeted to a younger audience (other than the retro gamers).

Quality is relative. The only TRUE and universal way we can measure quality is through sales, because it shows that the product is appealing to the most people. If Wii TRUELY was not "better" than its competition, at least in some ways, it would not outsell them. Simple as that.

Selling to young people has nothing to do with Wii selling 30 million more than its nearest competition. Last I check there are just as many young people in the world as older people. In fact these days there seem to be MORE young adults playing videogames than children.

That's a good joke. By your definition McDonald offers some of the higgest quality food in the world. And that's what Wii precisely is - cheap well advertised hamburger for masses which will fill your gaming stomach but won't be a choice for most people who like to eat good dishes (core gamer).

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:

That's a good joke. By your definition McDonald offers some of the higgest quality food in the world. And that's what Wii precisely is - cheap well advertised hamburger for masses which will fill your gaming stomach but won't be a choice for most people who like to eat good dishes (core gamer).

McDonalds offer the best food in the world. Why?

Because it sells the most food in the world. Oh wait, it was not like that. Let me rephrase it. You can only judge the quality by the sales, since the thing I like the most is selling most. A lot of people agree with me on that one! Look at how much McDonalds sells food!

Antabus said:

Oh and from developers standpoint, 360 and PS3 are usually grouped together since porting games between them is pretty easy.

That's odd, I certainly remember seeing articles after articles about how they have difficulty porting to PS3.

Galaki said:
Antabus said:

Oh and from developers standpoint, 360 and PS3 are usually grouped together since porting games between them is pretty easy.

That's odd, I certainly remember seeing articles after articles about how they have difficulty porting to PS3.

Sure. Have you seen more of them than the ones complaining about wii porting?  I think I am going to use this logic here:

Look at how much ports have been made between ps3/360! It must be really easy since there are so many ports!