By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Antabus said:
Galaki said:
Antabus said:

Oh and from developers standpoint, 360 and PS3 are usually grouped together since porting games between them is pretty easy.

That's odd, I certainly remember seeing articles after articles about how they have difficulty porting to PS3.

Sure. Have you seen more of them than the ones complaining about wii porting?  I think I am going to use this logic here:

Look at how much ports have been made between ps3/360! It must be really easy since there are so many ports!

I don't think any of them are trying to port PS3/X360 to the Wii. We all know the Wii can't handle more than 7 enemies on screen at a time.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Antabus said:
Galaki said:
Antabus said:

Oh and from developers standpoint, 360 and PS3 are usually grouped together since porting games between them is pretty easy.

That's odd, I certainly remember seeing articles after articles about how they have difficulty porting to PS3.

Sure. Have you seen more of them than the ones complaining about wii porting?  I think I am going to use this logic here:

Look at how much ports have been made between ps3/360! It must be really easy since there are so many ports!

I don't think any of them are trying to port PS3/X360 to the Wii. We all know the Wii can't handle more than 7 enemies on screen at a time.

Sir, that is a lie. I have heard of those watered down ports at these forums! Also I believe that I have seen a wii game with more than 7 enemies on the screen!

Antabus said:
Galaki said:
Antabus said:
Galaki said:
Antabus said:

Sir, that is a lie. I have heard of those watered down ports at these forums! Also I believe that I have seen a wii game with more than 7 enemies on the screen!

So, you selectively chose to not believe that the Wii can't handle more than 7 zombies on screen at a time?

Plus, the Wii doesn't get ports. It gets rail shooters, birthing from fps on PS3/X360.

Galaki said:
Antabus said:
Galaki said:
Antabus said:
Galaki said:
Antabus said:

So, you selectively chose to not believe that the Wii can't handle more than 7 zombies on screen at a time?

Plus, the Wii doesn't get ports. It gets rail shooters, birthing from fps on PS3/X360.

Those double negatives are so confusing. I have to give this some thought!

Yes, I think I did that. Oh wait! First you said enemies and now you said zombies. I think you are trying something there!

HexenLord said:
Killiana1a said:

I pose this question Mr. Lavigne,

From what you are saying, I can gauge that you believe hardware is as important, if not more important than software in driving console sales. If this is the case, then why has the "refurbished Gamecube" to use your terminology, outsold both it's competitors, one of which has arguably more raw graphics processing power than the Wii and 360 combined?

How is your opinion, Mr. Lavigne, worth more than the 73.3 million customers who chose Wii over the 37 million customers who chose the PS3 or the 42.3 million who chose the 360?

If you value graphics and visuals so much Mr. Lavigne, should you not be in the film industry?

Read my #2 above. Nintendo fans buy things because they are Nintendo products. Nintendo fans buy Mario games just because its Mario. They are retro fans.

Other than that, 'younger' gamers are more likely to get the cheaper kiddy console for Christmas than the slightly older ones who have to get a job and buy it themselves. The Wii doesn't outsell because its better, it sells better because its targeted to a younger audience (other than the retro gamers).

If it comes down to "fans," then what is Sony and Microsoft doing wrong to not be able to touch Nintendo in sales? I am sure there are not enough diehard "Nintendo fans" to buy 73 million Wiis. I think Nintendo tapped into an ignored market with the Wii launch that Microsoft with Kinect and Sony with Move are now trying to cater to. It goes a lot deeper than "Nintendo fans."

If it comes down to a younger audience, then would not Sony and Microsoft sell more hardware by catering to the younger audience? To that "younger audience" I would add senior citizens, moms, dads, little sisters, little brothers, and adults like me whose first experience playing video games was in the 1980s when we picked up the controller after our big brother to play the original Super Mario Bros. Nintendo has tapped into much more than a "younger audience."

In many respects, Nintendo takes many people, including myself, back to a more innocent time where games were played for fun and no one judged you on what game you played because everyone was playing the same game.

Except for those Sega kids, those damn hedgehog lovers :)

Around the Network

I hate to say it but the Wii is a refirbished improved GameCube. He's absolutely right, of course I see that in a more positive light then he is obviously portraying it. I think that UbiSoft was one of the Wii's biggest supporters out of the gate and Nintendo should take the publishers opinions very seriously.

Infact Nintendo has been taking alot of flack from publishers, Sega , EA and UbiSoft doing the majority of the talking. Honestly if you do not like what those publishers have to say perhaps your not a real gamer (Sorry to be so harsh) But Nintendo needs to take them seriously and we as gamers should not always shrug them off because they have contrary views to our own.

Fact is publishers aren't happy with the path Nintendo is choosing, fans and Nintendo should be willing to compromise and make accomadations for the publishers. Nintendo needs to continue listening to publishers when they launch the next system. Give the publishers what they want as they are almost as important as the consumer!

If nobody makes products for your system nobody will buy it. P.S UbiSoft's titles have been key to Nintendo's success starting with RedSteel and most recently JustDance! Nintendo please listen to one of the most important publishers in the world!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Zlejedi said:
Metallicube said:
HexenLord said:
Killiana1a said:

I pose this question Mr. Lavigne,

From what you are saying, I can gauge that you believe hardware is as important, if not more important than software in driving console sales. If this is the case, then why has the "refurbished Gamecube" to use your terminology, outsold both it's competitors, one of which has arguably more raw graphics processing power than the Wii and 360 combined?

How is your opinion, Mr. Lavigne, worth more than the 73.3 million customers who chose Wii over the 37 million customers who chose the PS3 or the 42.3 million who chose the 360?

If you value graphics and visuals so much Mr. Lavigne, should you not be in the film industry?

Read my #2 above. Nintendo fans buy things because they are Nintendo products. Nintendo fans buy Mario games just because its Mario. They are retro fans.

Other than that, 'younger' gamers are more likely to get the cheaper kiddy console for Christmas than the slightly older ones who have to get a job and buy it themselves. The Wii doesn't outsell because its better, it sells better because its targeted to a younger audience (other than the retro gamers).

Uh huh.. And who exactly are you to say whether or not the Wii is "better," are you the god of gaming or something?

Quality is relative. The only TRUE and universal way we can measure quality is through sales, because it shows that the product is appealing to the most people. If Wii TRUELY was not "better" than its competition, at least in some ways, it would not outsell them. Simple as that.

Selling to young people has nothing to do with Wii selling 30 million more than its nearest competition. Last I check there are just as many young people in the world as older people. In fact these days there seem to be MORE young adults playing videogames than children.

That's a good joke. By your definition McDonald offers some of the higgest quality food in the world. And that's what Wii precisely is - cheap well advertised hamburger for masses which will fill your gaming stomach but won't be a choice for most people who like to eat good dishes (core gamer).

Ok, so then what is quality?  See what I mean.. ANYTHING you answer, will be your opinion, which means it is relative.

What is it about Resident Evil 5 for instance that makes it so superior to Just Dance? What if a 12 year old girl loves Just Dance but can't stand Resident Evil. Is she right or are you? You both have equal fun when playing your respective games, so who's to say one opinion is more "valid" than the other?

Again, I realize we all have our own definition of quality,variety is the spice of life and all that, but what I am saying is the only way something relative like "quality" can truely be MEASURED in a concrete way is to look at what the MOST people like, in other words, SALES. It is the biggest sample size.

Think of a politician; if a politician recieves the most votes, they are generally viewed as the best politician suited for office. Sales work in a similar way, as people are voting with their wallets. They are investing their hard earned money in them, and thus saying "this is what I view to be best, and I'm showing my support by spending my money on it."

Think of many of the works of art, artists, entertainers, authors, books, games, movies, etc. of the past that we currently consider to be the standard of quality in our society. They are likely people/things/ideas that recieved the most popularity and thus have withstood the test of time in society. The things that weren't as popular faded, and were forgotten, because they weren't as liked. The things that stand the test of time are generally the things that recieve the most acclaim, or sales. And it's these things that are viewed in the grand scheme of things as being of the most quality.

The McDonald's comparison is laughable. Much of its food is notoriously BAD for you. Thus it is of less quality (for the human body at least).. Is playing Wii "bad for you?" I doubt you could make a serious argument that it is. In fact, it is actually quite good for you. Just look at Wii Fit :)

Soma said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

Certain art appeals to certain people though.

Much like certain consoles appeal to certain people.

Hence, that said art doesn't do as well on certain consoles.

Look at the recent sales of Madden 11 as a perfect example. The PS3 version sold 5 times more than the Wii version, despite the Wii userbase in NA being 3 times larger...

Sometimes. The consumers just aren't there.

Well, looking at Madden sales, the 07 and 08 sold better on Wii than PS3.  09 was the first time it sold better on PS3 and coincidence or not, it was when they started to make it "cartoony".

That doesn't surprise me one bit considering how the PS3 was selling back in 07/08.

Joelcool7 said:

I hate to say it but the Wii is a refirbished improved GameCube. He's absolutely right, of course I see that in a more positive light then he is obviously portraying it. I think that UbiSoft was one of the Wii's biggest supporters out of the gate and Nintendo should take the publishers opinions very seriously.

Infact Nintendo has been taking alot of flack from publishers, Sega , EA and UbiSoft doing the majority of the talking. Honestly if you do not like what those publishers have to say perhaps your not a real gamer (Sorry to be so harsh) But Nintendo needs to take them seriously and we as gamers should not always shrug them off because they have contrary views to our own.

Fact is publishers aren't happy with the path Nintendo is choosing, fans and Nintendo should be willing to compromise and make accomadations for the publishers. Nintendo needs to continue listening to publishers when they launch the next system. Give the publishers what they want as they are almost as important as the consumer!

If nobody makes products for your system nobody will buy it. P.S UbiSoft's titles have been key to Nintendo's success starting with RedSteel and most recently JustDance! Nintendo please listen to one of the most important publishers in the world!

No we should not. And I would not call Red Steel a key to anyone's success.

People didn't buy the Wii for RedSteel. People bought RedSteel because there were no other games to buy.

Ubisoft made a lot of money riding on Nintendo's wave early, even their games were average at best.

Just Dance is a recent IP. It was not released in 2006 to "cause" the Nintendo domination.