By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where would the world be right now if religion never existed?

A world without religion, brrrrrgh, shivers down my spine.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
FaRmLaNd said:

To the people saying that one can't be expected to prove God exists.

Yes you are expected, the burden of proof is on you. I cannot believe in something that has no evidence beyond personal revelation that is indistinguishable from hallucination. Saying "God talks to me!" is not convincing to anyone but yourself.

Atheism is simply the rejection of a positive claim (that God exists) because of the lack of evidence, nothing more. I will gladly believe in God if it can be demostrated to me with evidence. Sadly I've never seen or read about any such evidence and even the philosophical arguments seem inconsistent to me when you apply rudimentary logic and reasoning. So even the claims without evidence I find unconvincing.

Its not that I neccesarily despise God (though the monotheistic God does seem like an ass when you read his holy books), its simply that the positive claim doesn't have any convincing evidence.

I've adopted the stance of "you can't prove God, but you can try to prove his interactions with the world to prove his existance".

Just like scientists trying to prove the existence of some fundamental particles; they can't prove they exist directly, but they can prove they exist by the interactions they have with other particles. Like finding the scent, if you will.

Many religions talk of a God(s) who interacts freely and frequently with the Earth. Gods usually are the creators of the Universe, the world and humans. Such a being may not be observable to us, but the effects he has had on would be observable to us. 

I'll take the classic Abrahamic story of creation, which tells us that the Earth was created by god 6000 years ago. To prove the Abrahamic god would be impossible, but one could go further towards validating that god's existence if all the evidence we found was in line with the Earth being created 6000 years ago. Unfortunately it is not. The same God had also caused a great flood which covered the Earth, an event which would still bear abundant evidence, even today. But again, the evidence for this interaction with the Earth is not abundant.

WessleWoggle said:

The full DVDs and empty DVDs weigh the same because information like a movie is just the rearanging of values on the disk. It's something like this, an empty disk is all 0s, but a full disk is series of 10010110111010101... There's nothing in the disk that has no weight, only the values have changed. Your argument makes no sense.

I don't see the relevance of the second comment...

You do know that DVD does not have ones and zeros  written on them right? The bit system (off/on)  is how a computer chip stores information. A DVD/CD has "light" depression on them. IIRC a blank DVD does have a pattern on them.

We have copyright laws in order to protect this "weightless" stuff.

Smidlee said:
WessleWoggle said:

The full DVDs and empty DVDs weigh the same because information like a movie is just the rearanging of values on the disk. It's something like this, an empty disk is all 0s, but a full disk is series of 10010110111010101... There's nothing in the disk that has no weight, only the values have changed. Your argument makes no sense.

I don't see the relevance of the second comment...

You do know that DVD does not have ones and zeros  written on them right? The bit system (off/on)  is how a computer chip stores information. A DVD/CD has "light" depression on them. IIRC a blank DVD does have a pattern on them.

We have copyright laws in order to protect this "weightless" stuff.

I said something like this, not exactly like this. :P

pizzahut451 said:
WessleWoggle said:
pizzahut451 said:
sapphi_snake said:

You talk of rubbish such as "souls"and "breath of life" and "spirit', as if they were facts. Please present proof that this nonsense is a "fact".

Wow, you really dont believe in souls??? Seriously now?? I can see how someone can not believe in God or jesus or heaven but how can man not believe in soul???

Also, existance of a human soul is a PROVEN FACT.

A fact huh? Unless you're talking about that study they did when they figured out a minute amount of weight leaves the body upon death(this study is flawed btw)... There's no proof for a human soul.

Ghosts (souls who have not yet found peace,their appearances are proven to be real) are also souls, you know...its something inside of you that lives forever even  after you die. Seriously, do you really believe that after you die, lights out and you become food for worms? Wow, your probably gonna get really depressed once you get old

When I get old again, I'll put my conciousness into another body again, just like the ancient yogis in India. I do this so I do not have to die and enter nirvana. I am the Buddha Maitreya, I can do such things. I do not believe in ghosts. only in reincarnation and nirvana, for it is part of my teachings. I am the Buddha Maitreya.

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
FaRmLaNd said:

To the people saying that one can't be expected to prove God exists.

Yes you are expected, the burden of proof is on you. I cannot believe in something that has no evidence beyond personal revelation that is indistinguishable from hallucination. Saying "God talks to me!" is not convincing to anyone but yourself.

Atheism is simply the rejection of a positive claim (that God exists) because of the lack of evidence, nothing more. I will gladly believe in God if it can be demostrated to me with evidence. Sadly I've never seen or read about any such evidence and even the philosophical arguments seem inconsistent to me when you apply rudimentary logic and reasoning. So even the claims without evidence I find unconvincing.

Its not that I neccesarily despise God (though the monotheistic God does seem like an ass when you read his holy books), its simply that the positive claim doesn't have any convincing evidence.

I've adopted the stance of "you can't prove God, but you can try to prove his interactions with the world to prove his existance".

Just like scientists trying to prove the existence of some fundamental particles; they can't prove they exist directly, but they can prove they exist by the interactions they have with other particles. Like finding the scent, if you will.

Many religions talk of a God(s) who interacts freely and frequently with the Earth. Gods usually are the creators of the Universe, the world and humans. Such a being may not be observable to us, but the effects he has had on would be observable to us. 

I'll take the classic Abrahamic story of creation, which tells us that the Earth was created by god 6000 years ago. To prove the Abrahamic god would be impossible, but one could go further towards validating that god's existence if all the evidence we found was in line with the Earth being created 6000 years ago. Unfortunately it is not. The same God had also caused a great flood which covered the Earth, an event which would still bear abundant evidence, even today. But again, the evidence for this interaction with the Earth is not abundant.

Well I didn't say how you'd have to prove anything about god but the historical evidence is certainly lacking as you say. Which is another reason why I'm not religious.

sapphi_snake said:
pizzahut451 said:
WessleWoggle said:
pizzahut451 said:
sapphi_snake said:

You talk of rubbish such as "souls"and "breath of life" and "spirit', as if they were facts. Please present proof that this nonsense is a "fact".

Wow, you really dont believe in souls??? Seriously now?? I can see how someone can not believe in God or jesus or heaven but how can man not believe in soul???

Also, existance of a human soul is a PROVEN FACT.

A fact huh? Unless you're talking about that study they did when they figured out a minute amount of weight leaves the body upon death(this study is flawed btw)... There's no proof for a human soul.

Ghosts (souls who have not yet found peace,their appearances are proven to be real) are also souls, you know...its something inside of you that lives forever even  after you die. Seriously, do you really believe that after you die, lights out and you become food for worms? Wow, your probably gonna get really depressed once you get old

Ghosts? Really? That's your answer? Ghosts have been proven to be real? I did not know that.

Not ghosts as in ''white spooks'' like Jasper, more like souls or spirits of dead people. As for ''evidence of ghosts, go spend the few nights night at the indian burial ground and see if theres any ''spooky'' things around. Or go watch the movie ''Paranormal Activity''. Or how about numerous demonic possesions that have occured in human history??  Do you believe in any kind of paranormal activity at all?

^ Sadly Paranormal Activity was not a real documentary

spdk1 said:

who said it was a documentary? It was an amateur horror movie based on true story. A documentary is something very diffrent

pizzahut451 said:
spdk1 said:

who said it was a documentary? It was an amateur horror movie based on true story. A documentary is something very diffrent

Sadly it's not based on a true story either.