By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Comic Book Thread

I love comic books.  So let's talk about them.  Who'd win in a fight?  What are the best storylines?  Why is DC Comics (which stands for Detective Comics Comics) the makers of the world's best comic books and Marvel is not?  What's the most ubsurd thing that comics have ever passed off?  How many times can Hawkeye die before he actually stays dead? 

Kicking things off is the question I just asked in the "Post Your Mind" thread:  What the hell was Batman's billionaire parents thinking when they decided to walk through Crime Alley (I know that wasn't the alley's name at the time) anyway?  Couldn't afford to buy a car?  No taxi service in Gotham City? 

Around the Network

DC > Marvel just because of Batman. Though Watchmen does help too.

Good question about Wayne's parents though, I never thought about that. Maybe Thomas Wayne was just an old school guy who believed in walking everywhere he went.

I'm reading All-Star Batman & Robin now. It's pretty good, and I don't really see what has people all riled up about it tbh. Sure Batman's a little...well, harsh to Robin, but it's a bit different, and I like it. Will move onto RIP after I'm done.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

I've read a whopping 4 count em FOUR Comic Books (Graphic Novels... whatever) in my lifetime.

They are in the order that I like them from most to least:

Watchmen

Spiderman (Some random one where he face the Green Goblin)

Batman The Long Halloween

Batman Year One

That is my entire experience with comics and with that, this totally unecessary post comes to an end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Lobo is awesome

'nuff said :P

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I grew up on Archie comic books :P

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network

I loved comics as a kid but kind of fell out of love with them (and I was an uber Marvel fan late 80's, early 90's).  I have comics signed by Stan Lee, Jim Lee, Chris Claramont, and a few other people.  I tried to get back into comics a few times within the last 10 years, but just never have been really able to.

I don't have DC comics anymore like I use to just because they were DC and I've come to respect Batman as The Man, I just haven't been able to get into the comics.  I tried reading New X-Men when Grant Morrison wrote it and it was cool, but then he stopped writing it and I stopped reading it.  Since then I've tried reading various comics on and off and I either just don't feel like wasting the money on something that has zero chance of becoming collectible anymore or I just wasn't interested in what they're doing with the characters.

The I did receive issues 1 and 2 of Tag and Bink are dead today and I can't wait to get a chance to read those. 

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

donnaj867 said:

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Yes.... just try to stay OT to the thread you are posting in :P

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Marvel > DC.

'Nuff said.

Also, I hold an extremely controversial opinion besides that, which is Superman > Batman.

Yeah, I said it.

i used to read DC superhero comics when i was a kid, Marvel was hard to come by, but it always felt to me they were so much cooler, but that was a long time ago.

nowadays i'm not very interested in Superheroes, unless it's something by Alan Moore or Frank Miller, they make excellent stuff.

i have a big collection, mostly European Comics, Mattotti, Moebuis, Martens, Schuiten & Peeters, Jodorowski, ... i'm also a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes.

OT: let our kid appreciate for once how nice it is to be rich and walk down that dark alley, because we wouldn't have to.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’