By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Comic Book Thread

My avatar kinda reveals my love for TINTIN comics!

Also, Nero, Kiekeboe, Urbanus, Spike and Suzy (that's English name, stupid translation), the red knight, Lucky luke, Jommeke, Gaston, Largo Winch and the smurfs!

The must read out of that list are the Adventures of Nero, the Adventures of TinTin, Urbanus and the red knight.

Around the Network

This thread inspired me so I picked up Batman: Haunted Knight and a humor graphic novel Ameican Born Chinese.

Score! That almost doubles the amount of comics I've read so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

d21lewis said:

I love comic books.  So let's talk about them.  Who'd win in a fight?  What are the best storylines?  Why is DC Comics (which stands for Detective Comics Comics) the makers of the world's best comic books and Marvel is not?  What's the most ubsurd thing that comics have ever passed off?  How many times can Hawkeye die before he actually stays dead? 

Kicking things off is the question I just asked in the "Post Your Mind" thread:  What the hell was Batman's billionaire parents thinking when they decided to walk through Crime Alley (I know that wasn't the alley's name at the time) anyway?  Couldn't afford to buy a car?  No taxi service in Gotham City? 

I have one question about Batman: What kind of psycho would put a child in harm's way (Robin)?

I'm mainly a Marvel fan, but I like the direction the Green Lantern comics have taken lately.

Going through my collection recently I ran across this one (bagged and boarded):

I don't remember buying it.

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

I love comic book universes.

Not a fan of the actual books themself though.

I'm a 1 sitting reader... when i've got a book i like i pretty much just marathon read until i get through it and do little else.

You can't do that unless you collect trades in comic books... and by thent he story is over and the universe has moved on.

Around the Network

Comic were so much better back in the day when the cover price was 25 - 50 cents. Printed on crappy news print and available in every corner store it was great entertainment. Then the direct comic book shops came along with books on high quality paper and a cover price of $1 - $2 each. Collecting was fun until the hard core fans got carried away and bought up EVERY copy of "special" issues so they could sell them when the value went up. It got so bad you had to put your name on a waiting list to reserve a copy IF the store got enough copies. Some comic book stores would bag brand new first issues and sell them at double the cover price or more. That is when I gave up on what was a very enjoyable hobby. Lately, I have not even seen comic books for sale. Where can you buy them and what is the going price? Oh, I am not including graphic novels which I have seen in book stores.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907

i only love Neil Gaiman's stuff do i count as a comic fan? , i find other comic books to be fun but not memorable.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Oh yeah I just remember another Graphic novel I read. Punisher Welcome Back Frank which was really emjoyable.

Updated Rankings:

Watchmen

Punisher Welcome Back Frank

Spiderman (the one I mentioned)

Batman The Long Halloween

Batman Year One

I was going to pick up Batman Return of the Dark Knight  tonight at a bookstore but for some reason I decided to wait off for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I was really into to comics from 4th grade until I was about 22.  I have a decent sized collection of mostly Marvel and Image comics.  I was really big on X-Men and Spiderman when I first started out then finished with various Top Cow titles like Witchblade & Darkness. I think the last series I got into was the beginning of Superman/Batman with Michael Turner doing the art.   They were just getting too pricey.  I think about picking up the hobby again every now and then.  For now, I just leave them in their boxes back at my dad's house.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

It's been out for a week but I finally got my hands on the Blu-Ray of "Batman:  Under the Red Hood".  It kicked Hulk Vs. Wolverine out of the spot for my pick as best animated comic book movie!  If you haven't read the comics that it's based on, buy it.  You're in for one hell of a treat.  It even fixes some of the issues that I had with those stories.

Bonus features are well worth having, too.  I got mine at target and it came with a few episodes from Batman The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, and The Batman.  At the very least, if you're a fan of the Bat, give it a rental!