By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Comic Book Thread

I just watched Under the Red Hood. Much better than I expected. Thanks for the heads-up.

PS. Jason Todd always was and always will be a douche.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

I just watched Under the Red Hood. Much better than I expected. Thanks for the heads-up.

Pah, you guys only liked it becasue Bender was the Joker.

It was alright, but I thought the script/voice acting could have been a lot better.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still my #1 animated Comic movie, it's so great. ^_^

adriane23 said:

Also........

GAMBIT FO' LIFE!!!!

Be careful when reading and catching up on Gambit, he hasn't been treated that well recently but then Marvel have the habbit of ill treating it's once great characters in exchange for a new breed of crapper and less likeable/cool characters.

Seriously, a actual clone of Wolverine just in female form is the least 'cool' thing I could think of. And 'Armour' is s crappy code name for a crappy character.

Hmm, pie.

Smeags said:
rocketpig said:

It was alright, but I thought the script/voice acting could have been a lot better.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still my #1 animated Comic movie, it's so great. ^_^

Mask of the Phantasm was too kid-ish for me. It's still not bad but it's not Under the Red Hood, which deals with two pretty classic Batman stories. The tone was far more serious in Under the Red Hood, which I appreciated given the material.

Anyway, back on to comics... I've been trying to get back into mainstream books and have found pretty mixed results. I've picked up the past ~10 issues of Uncanny and it's pretty bad. The characters are lame, the writing is bad, and the art is mediocre in most cases. New Mutants is equally as bad. The storylines just don't do anything for me, though Namor's occasional appearance makes the book somewhat palatable.

Amazing Spidey is on a pretty good run. I'm generally not one for time travel or messing with time lines but this is an interesting character take on MJ and Pete. I'm enjoying it, overall.

Batman is badass. I would read his book if he just sat in front of the Batcave computer for 23 pages.

Daredevil is surprisingly good, which I appreciate because he's always been somewhat overlooked AND he's my favorite character. I own roughly 300 issues of the Daredevil series. I like the tone of the book, the art complements it, and him taking over The Hand is a nice spin on things.

The Avengers are okay. I'm not sold on Cap turning into a stealth agent.

The Flash is alright and the art is good. About what I'd expect from the character... mostly fluff with ridiculous villains. And I'm totally okay with that.

Green Arrow looks to be back to his eco-terrorist ways. Very nice. One of the most controversial mainstream books in history and it's good to see DC take him back to his counter-culture roots. I'm interested to see where his new book goes in the future.

Blackest NIght/Brightest Day: meh, which is hard for me to say because I love me some Green Lantern.

Siege: triple meh, bordering on terrible. I mean, just EVERYTHING about the story is bullshit, lame, and boring.

I've read a bit on what's going on with the Hulk and it looks mildly interesting. Other than that, those are pretty much the books I've been checking out in the past few months. I plan on expanding to more once I get caught up and figure out which books get dropped (which, unfortunately, appears to be the X-books at this point; they're just terrible).

Any other suggestions? If so, why?

Around the Network

I  started reading Daredevil for the first time in over a decade because of the comics available for the PSP.  My God, were they awesome!!  It started with him going to jail after being outed by the Kingpin.  From there on, I've been downloading everything I could get my hands on.

I can't really sell you on any ongoing books, Rocketpig.  Lately, I've just been waiting for the trades to come out.  I don't have the patience to wait for one or two issues a month, anymore.  I have to have the whole story!  That's why when I download a comic, I download 10 or 20 at a time.  I'm not in it for the collecting anymore.  Just the stories.  If you haven't read "Kick Ass" yet, definitely get your hands on those collected issues.  I've been surprised by the quality of "GI Joe:  Cobra", too.  I'm waiting for the verdict on Age of Heroes and Brightest Day before I dive into those storylines.

GI Joe: Cobra has so many twists and turns and surprises that I feel comfortable recommending it to any fan of action movies.  Cobra isn't bullshitting around like they were in the movie and in the cartoon.  Try the first 4 issues and see if you like it.

Kick Ass is a superhero story set in the real world.  None of that bullshit from the movie like rocketpacks, internet broadcasts, or even a sappy love interest.  It's just an all around well written story with lots of moments that sent chills up my spine.

I read the first several issues of Kick-Ass. It was a solid book, though I've never been crazy about JRJ's art style.

One book I really didn't like was Crossed. It was sleazy and pervy in all the ways I hate comics, anime, and fantasy/sci-fi novel writers. I have no patience for that sort of thing any more.

The Boys was good for a laugh, though it also pushed my pervert buttons in the wrong way but at least it was slightly tongue-in-cheek while it was doing it.

rocketpig said:
Smeags said:
rocketpig said:

Mask of the Phantasm was too kid-ish for me. It's still not bad but it's not Under the Red Hood, which deals with two pretty classic Batman stories. The tone was far more serious in Under the Red Hood, which I appreciated given the material.

Though, the rest of the death of Jason Todd is weird.   Like after he dies.   I mean, Joker becomes Ambassador from Iran?   And... actually Iran not Iranostanor some other country DC usually likes to make up for it's "evil countries" deal.

Yeah, shit got weird after that point.

Does Scott Pilgrim count like a comic book or just a graphic novel?Can we talk about it here?