By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Comic Book Thread

I always admired Turner's art when I saw it in Wizard Magazine.  His work on Witchblade, Fathom, and Tomb Raider always looked stunning.  It wasn't until I saw his work in Superman/Batman where he drew the Supergirl storyline (soon to be released as DC's next animated feature!) that I said "Damn, this guy is good!"  Unfortunately, he was long gone by that time.  His depiction of Superman and Batman were right up there with the mighty Jim Lee, in my opinion.  His Supergirl art was red hot, too!  I wish I'd read more of his stuff when he was alive.  I guess we never appreciate 'em until they're gone, huh?

Around the Network

And his interiors looked just as good as his covers!!

I have a HUGE superman collection (around 700-800 magazines), but I also read the main events of the DC universe, I can't deal with 2 universes at the same time so cero Marvel for me thank you, a friend of mine reads Marvel comics so he keeps me posted about what happens, and I told him about what happens in the DC universe and from time to time we share some of our magazine if there is an important saga/event that it's better to read than to be told about.

That was one thing about Turner: his interior art was fantastic. He was NOT a cover-only artist. His details in backgrounds were always balanced, finely detailed, and spot-on. I loved his work since he first really broke into the big-time with Image shortly after it formed. Then he basically built the Witchblade brand single-handedly because, let's face it, the story was pretty much shit.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The Fury said:
adriane23 said:

Yea, I'm still a few years back on Gambit, but I already see the downfall of a great character coming. This is only slightly less dissapointing to what I'm currently reading in X-Men which blows ass right now. Oh well, it's always darkest before dawn.

X-men has been weird of late. I love the X-men but it's not like it used to be at all. I loved Carey's X-men when he first started, it was new, fresh and different. Then his early Xavier stuff was great too but recently with Rogue at the front it's not as good in anyway, Carey needs to get back to a X-men team.

Brubaker wrote a story that in many fans minds was a joke story line, I never could understand why such a talented writer of both DareDevil and Cap A could write so badly on a team book. Art by Tan didn't help, never did like it, still don't but now that Fraction has taken over Uncanny it's moving in a much more lighthearted and entertaining direction while still keeping with the dark undertones the x-men have recently.

Both books though are far better then drivel that is X-force, aka the Murder-force. They are scewing the X-men into a team of killers and murderers, X-men like Angel of all people. 

I hate Wovlerine's currently Marvel characterisation, especially in X-men comics, the X-men comics have him as what he always tried not to be, a weapon. And he's being a weapon more then ever yet this is apparently okay in the exchange for 'cool' because X-force is 'cool'.

They ruined Bishop and have still not undone the damage Whedon did with his crap....

.... other then that, New Avengers book is good, Wolverine in that is well written and the book as a whole is a nice read.

AMEN!!  Finally somebody that agrees!  Whedon's run on his X-book was actually what got me to stop reading X-men a few years ago.  I literally got angry with his way of bringing colossus back.  Shadowcat finds him underground and he basically says "the colosus that died was a clone, and I've been trapped here all along" UGGGGHHH

Whedon's fans then began to read it and claim it was the best comic ever written, this made me want to punch kittens

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

That was one thing about Turner: his interior art was fantastic. He was NOT a cover-only artist. His details in backgrounds were always balanced, finely detailed, and spot-on. I loved his work since he first really broke into the big-time with Image shortly after it formed. Then he basically built the Witchblade brand single-handedly because, let's face it, the story was pretty much shit.

I agree with you (about Turner's art quality, I don't know about Witchblade), I have the Superman saga called Godfall, only 6 comics but with all the drawings made by Turner, and the art it's breathtaking, I leave you with the cover of the TPB:

spdk1 said:

AMEN!!  Finally somebody that agrees!  Whedon's run on his X-book was actually what got me to stop reading X-men a few years ago.  I literally got angry with his way of bringing colossus back.  Shadowcat finds him underground and he basically says "the colosus that died was a clone, and I've been trapped here all along" UGGGGHHH

Whedon's fans then began to read it and claim it was the best comic ever written, this made me want to punch kittens

I hate Whedon's run. I picked up his original 12 issues and while it had a nice start, good interaction between characters, not much plot to bog down the story. But after the revival of  Colossus it sunk into some drivel that made little to no sense and did that because Whedon was arrogant enough to say that he wasn't going to explain why.

The thing that really set me off was The Danger Room story. Whedon not only went out of his way to create something he never intended to explain but then not use it in a mannor that made sense. Shi'AR technology is always 'alive'? Bullcrap that still doesn't make sense, not only because he never explained it but also because it was useless are doing what it wanted to 'freely' do yet was still trapped in it's own basic programming. Luckily most of Whedon's small things like that or Lockheeds random betrayal has been explained and changed by better writers.

And issue 12 was the biggest waste of money I've spent in comics, waited months and what we got was 22 pages of 30 or 40 one liners which any fan of Whedon could have writen and no resolution.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
spdk1 said:

I hate Whedon's run. I picked up his original 12 issues and while it had a nice start, good interaction between characters, not much plot to bog down the story. But after the revival of  Colossus it sunk into some drivel that made little to no sense and did that because Whedon was arrogant enough to say that he wasn't going to explain why.

The thing that really set me off was The Danger Room story. Whedon not only went out of his way to create something he never intended to explain but then not use it in a mannor that made sense. Shi'AR technology is always 'alive'? Bullcrap that still doesn't make sense, not only because he never explained it but also because it was useless are doing what it wanted to 'freely' do yet was still trapped in it's own basic programming. Luckily most of Whedon's small things like that or Lockheeds random betrayal has been explained and changed by better writers.

And issue 12 was the biggest waste of money I've spent in comics, waited months and what we got was 22 pages of 30 or 40 one liners which any fan of Whedon could have writen and no resolution.

I got the "Gifted" motion comic and I thought it was the best thing, ever.  I bought the next 20 issues without so much as a second thought.  I totally agree with you.  Everything from Danger to the Break World was nothing but a huge face palm.  How did things go wrong so fast?

d21lewis said:
The Fury said:
spdk1 said:

I got the "Gifted" motion comic and I thought it was the best thing, ever.  I bought the next 20 issues without so much as a second thought.  I totally agree with you.  Everything from Danger to the Break World was nothing but a huge face palm.  How did things go wrong so fast?

You were lucky to read it on one go it seems, I waited 2 and a half years for 12 issues (okay I had other stuff to read but that's not the point). I never bought issues 13-24 but I read some parts and even then it made no sense. The mutant responsible for 'breaking' Breakworld? On the irony...even I could have predicted that outcome from when it was explained and the bullet thing made me laugh.

I think Whedon was trying to put some kind of cool and new feel to it and it just came off as weird and wrong.

Hmm, pie.

My friend recommended me Superman All star. I will be reading that.