By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:

If you spit on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and at the same time demand the old Nintendo to come back, then that's the biggest contradiction you can possibly make.

I remember the old Nintendo pushing games forward in great new ways, I mean the games, not controllers (power glove ftw!).  Games like the original SMB, SMB3, LoZ, Metroid, then later on advancing them again going 3D like Mario 64 and OoT.  This gen we got Zeldas -still- copying OoT with only minor changes, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 is just Mario 64 with changing gravity, NSMB Wii has gone back even further than the N64 and is copying SNES games, Donkey Kong has gone back to SNES and so forth.

When people say they want the old Nintendo they don't mean clones of old Nintendo games, they mean they want them making something new.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
Boutros said:
KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:

If you spit on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and at the same time demand the old Nintendo to come back, then that's the biggest contradiction you can possibly make.

I remember the old Nintendo pushing games forward in great new ways, I mean the games, not controllers (power glove ftw!).  Games like the original SMB, SMB3, LoZ, Metroid, then later on advancing them again going 3D like Mario 64 and OoT.  This gen we got Zeldas -still- copying OoT with only minor changes, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 is just Mario 64 with changing gravity, NSMB Wii has gone back even further than the N64 and is copying SNES games, Donkey Kong has gone back to SNES and so forth.

When people say they want the old Nintendo they don't mean clones of old Nintendo games, they mean they want them making something new.

Yeah that's mostly what I mean myself.

Most over looked new IP of the gen it seems  

Add in Excite Truck, Big Brain, Endless Ocean, Disaster DoC, Captain Rainbow, Dynamic Slash, Xenoblade, and The Last Story... yep no new IPs that Nintendo has brought or going to bring  

Nintendo never made many "game changers" per generation in the old days, most of the time just evolving older existing IPs (ala OoT and Mario 64) people just have rose tinted glasses of the past, the same tactics used today were used in the past, every so often you got a new IP sometimes that new IP had really unique game play, most of the time they took an old IP and improved it so much that people in the industry flat out copied them... and that's happening now... so what's different?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Boutros said:
KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:

Add in Excite Truck, Big Brain, Endless Ocean, Disaster DoC, Captain Rainbow, Dynamic Slash, Xenoblade, and The Last Story... yep no new IPs that Nintendo has brought or going to bring

Nintendo never made many "game changers" per generation in the old days, most of the time just evolving older existing IPs (ala OoT and Mario 64) people just have rose tinted glasses of the past, the same tactics used today were used in the past, every so often you got a new IP sometimes that new IP had really unique game play, most of the time they took an old IP and improved it so much that people in the industry flat out copied them... and that's happening now... so what's different?

i was about to post the wii sports cover myself. wii sports is THE new thing of the generation. (in combination with its control scheme of course). how is such a fundamentally new series (almost no graphics, close to no buttons needed to play) NOT nintendo-like? what the the competition do? better tech, more games of the same genres... yeah, they are a much better place for nintendo fans of old.........

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I'm super excited for the next Zelda, Metroid, Kirby and DK... I don't know how they can do more...

Around the Network

At Pyro as Bill post:

^ I don't know, should that be a good thing, a bad thing or both???

Crap, now guiduc Blue-shelled me...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

I want the old Nintendo back too.  I'm sick of all this casual crap they keep shoving down our throats.  I miss the days of the NES and SNES, when we had classic games like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Blaster Master, Contra, Castlevania, Gradius, Mega Man, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Bubble Bobble, Metroid, Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, NBA Jam, Donkey Kong Country, and Final Fantasy 4.  Hell, even in later years we got other great games like GoldenEye 007, but with the new Nintendo, games like those will never happen again.  After Nintendo abandoned us hardcore gamers, I had to resort to other systems to play real games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Klonoa, Monster Hunter, Manhunt, Bully, The Godfather, vs. Capcom, Dragon Quest, and Okami.  Nintendo could never deliver core games like those.

The Ghost of RubangB said:

I want the old Nintendo back too.  I'm sick of all this casual crap they keep shoving down our throats.  I miss the days of the NES and SNES, when we had classic games like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Blaster Master, Contra, Castlevania, Gradius, Mega Man, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Bubble Bobble, Metroid, Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, NBA Jam, Donkey Kong Country, and Final Fantasy 4.  Hell, even in later years we got other great games like GoldenEye 007, but with the new Nintendo, games like those will never happen again.  After Nintendo abandoned us hardcore gamers, I had to resort to other systems to play real games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Klonoa, Monster Hunter, Manhunt, Bully, The Godfather, vs. Capcom, Dragon Quest, and Okami.  Nintendo could never deliver core games like those.

If only we had a console that could deliver both of these great camps of games. *Laughs* But seriously though, Mario... on the same console as Sonic? That'll happen... *rolls eyes*

Well, that was probably the biggest bullshit I have read in a long time.

"We were, admittedly, far younger, but we’d cart out carts to our friends house, or throw mini Ninty-Parties for the sheer love of GoldenEye or Super Mario Kart."

What about Mario Kart Wii, or the new Goldeneye coming out?

"They never replaced Rare."

What about Retro Studios who are currently making a new DKC?

Fact is, Nintendo is in better shape than ever when it comes to their traditional games. We have a new 2D Mario, two 3D Marios, a new DKC, a Mario Kart, Two Zelda games, The Last Story, two Wii-exclusive Metroid games, including Trilogy we have 4 metroid games on Wii. All this plus the entire gamecube library plus the Virtual Console.

What do people want from Nintendo? A Gamecube 2 with no games so that they can go bankrupt and go third party?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KylieDog said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Boutros said:
KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:

NOT NEW IPs.   New types of game/game design.  Wii Sports is minigames that existed long before the Wii, we played those long ago.  Knowledge quizes and such existed, Disaster is just a bunch of old genres bunched together etc etc.

Swinging a wii mote instead of pressing a button is not some new for a games content, and that is what nintendo are lacking this gen.  A lot of us do not want a new way to do something old on screen, we want something new on screen.

I find it hard pressed for you to actually find something today that doesn't barrow from something else... you're just moving goal posts when innovation and design is progressive and builds upon itself.  Some forms of game play you can still trace back to the Magnavox Brown Box... your stance just doesn't make sense so it really doesn't matter cause if you want to make that stance you must be unhappy with games as a whole right now. 

Please Kyliedog I beseech you, I really don't know why you have to agree with every garbage article and start some shit in every thread that is discussing the article, but it's getting old so please just stop it does nothing for you.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000