By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

Yes, I wanted Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls for a start... Maxwell you must have a long range mind reading device ! 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
forest-spirit said:

A huge problem I have with these 1337 "gamers" is: where are your praise when Nintendo makes something like Punch-Out? Why is there nothing but silence when Nintendo helps establishing Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest in the west? Metroid is as hardcore as ever, but nobody cares?

Why aren't people happy when Nintendo does something right!?

It's not about games, that's why. It's about sales.

Nintendo can do whatever they want as long as they don't sell the most home consoles. Handhelds aren't an issue, because everyone is used to Nintendo's dominance there. But the past two generations things were like they should be and this generation it's just wrong. The Wii didn't even steal a whole lot of games away from Sony or Microsoft, so one more reason why this isn't about games, but sales.

You may have something there Rol.    These articles probably wouldn't exist if Wii had only sold 5-10m.

Instead they'd be writing about what Nintendo should've done (been more like PS3) and hoping Nintendo does a Sega so they can play Mario & DKCR in HD.

RolStoppable said:

What makes these people sad is that the Wii sold so many units. They don't want to play Nintendo, it's that simple. If you spit on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and at the same time demand the old Nintendo to come back, then that's the biggest contradiction you can possibly make. Either that or you don't know what the old Nintendo was like. In both cases it's embarrassing for a gaming journalist.

What's even worse is that they're projecting bad image/ignorance of us gamers/fan to the general public.

I thought these bitching-articles would stop pooping out since the last E3 conference. How I was so bloody wrong...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

These articles are pathetic.

I've enjoyed brilliant updates of Punch Out, Excite Bike, Mario Brothers as well as the two Galaxies, Warioland Shake Dimension... so many more too... I don't get these people. Even Metroid Prime 3 was decent though Prime was the true breakthrough.

I just don't think they are old gamers. Old gamers are people like myself and Malstrom.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

haxxiy said:

Old Nintendo reminds me only of their dirty market tactics back in the ealry 90's, so no, I don't want the old Nintendo back :P

I think their current marketing approach in terms of profit and mainstream perception and rating is damn fine, thank you very much. They're like a lesser Apple.

But I have to say the Wii, even being their most successful console to date, has their worst games library ever. The stockholder may be happy, but the demaning, enthusiastic gamer is not.

I am though. And I am demanding.

New gamers might not be happy, but many of us older gamers that grew up with the NES are very, very happy.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network

Only one thing came to my mind while reading through this.

QQ

Killy_Vorkosigan said:

Yes, I wanted Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls for a start... Maxwell you must have a long range mind reading device ! 

Well as far as JRPGs go that's the best the system has to offer so it's easy to know what you'll go for, personally playing Xenoblade it's a nice JRPG and I'm hoping that hits the states. The Last Story's latest trailer looks freaking awesome too, Dragon Quest X on the horizon as well... hopefully that will end the 4 years of sparse console JRPGs   

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

KylieDog said:

Here's link getting all defensive.  A bit like this thread.

When you say something highly controversial (especially when you clearly did zero research and couldn't even be bothered to spell "sayonara" correctly), people are going to react. Indeed, NowGamer's inclusion of that image with that tagline indicates that they *knew* they had a horrible idea on their hands, and had to get pre-emptively defensive themselves, because they knew what the justifiable reaction was going to be.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

KylieDog said:

Here's link getting all defensive.  A bit like this thread.

This made me giggle far too much

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:

If you spit on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and at the same time demand the old Nintendo to come back, then that's the biggest contradiction you can possibly make.

I remember the old Nintendo pushing games forward in great new ways, I mean the games, not controllers (power glove ftw!).  Games like the original SMB, SMB3, LoZ, Metroid, then later on advancing them again going 3D like Mario 64 and OoT.  This gen we got Zeldas -still- copying OoT with only minor changes, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 is just Mario 64 with changing gravity, NSMB Wii has gone back even further than the N64 and is copying SNES games, Donkey Kong has gone back to SNES and so forth.

When people say they want the old Nintendo they don't mean clones of old Nintendo games, they mean they want them making something new.

Yeah that's mostly what I mean myself.