By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

O-D-C said:

its 2010 I thought we were done with these kinds of articles

It's July 21st 2010 and we still don't have a Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Kirby, Pikmin, Paper Mario (a real one -.-), Mario Party (at least a little good) and a proper Zelda.

But like I said, by the end of the year, things may change.

The problem might also be the lack of new IPs.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
forest-spirit said:

I don't get people whining about wanting the old Nintendo back. Today's Nintendo is the old Nintendo.

Honestly, the world of gaming would be a much better place if the whiners just sold their Wii's (for real this time), stuck to their favourite console and let the rest enjoy their games, hardcore or not.

Then how do you explain this huge difference between the Wii and the Gamecube?

It's a difference I can't see with the PS and the PS2 and the PS3 or the Xbox with the Xbox 360.

oh yeah what about Syphon Filter,Twisted Metal,Jak,ps1 Crash,ps1 Spyro,Ape Escape,Rogue galaxy and others cuz Im not seeing anything but new IPs from sony that really arent that great.

Xbox 360 tho is better than the first 

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Boutros said:
forest-spirit said:

I don't get people whining about wanting the old Nintendo back. Today's Nintendo is the old Nintendo.

Honestly, the world of gaming would be a much better place if the whiners just sold their Wii's (for real this time), stuck to their favourite console and let the rest enjoy their games, hardcore or not.

It's a difference I can't see with the PS and the PS2 and the PS3 or the Xbox with the Xbox 360.

Gamecube was not up to old Nintendo quality?  Really I hated last gen, it was simply bad all around, PS2 had a lot of crap games, Final Fantasy fell from grace, not even N64 level of support for the GC, and Nintendo didn't make as many just purely great games.

Tell me one Gamecube title that changed gaming as much as OoT or Wii Sports?

That's the thing. They didn't try to change gaming last gen.

There's so many good games on the Gamecube. I don't know what you're talking about!

A huge problem I have with these 1337 "gamers" is: where are your praise when Nintendo makes something like Punch-Out? Why is there nothing but silence when Nintendo helps establishing Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest in the west? Metroid is as hardcore as ever, but nobody cares?

Why aren't people happy when Nintendo does something right!?

forest-spirit said:

A huge problem I have with these 1337 "gamers" is: where are your praise when Nintendo makes something like Punch-Out? Why is there nothing but silence when Nintendo helps establishing Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest in the west? Metroid is as hardcore as ever, but nobody cares?

Why aren't people happy when Nintendo does something right!?

There's a new Punch-Out?!

Huh.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

What makes these people sad is that the Wii sold so many units. They don't want to play Nintendo, it's that simple. If you spit on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and at the same time demand the old Nintendo to come back, then that's the biggest contradiction you can possibly make. Either that or you don't know what the old Nintendo was like. In both cases it's embarrassing for a gaming journalist.

They're targeting a different Nintendo to come back. They want SNES N64 Nintendo to come back.

I've always thought that a lot of these "Nintendo abandoned us!" screamers were more Rare fans then Nintendo fans, but blame Microsoft's acquisition of Rare and Rare's changes over the years on Nintendo. If you look at a lot of what they scream about, it was stuff that Rare provided at one point. Nintendo's largely been doing the same thing over the years, aside from some changes in hardware design philosophy.

Oh, and it is categorically and objectively false to declare that Brawl had an "overreliance on clones," especially if you're trying to make a comparison to Melee. Brawl had a cast of 35 and 6 clones (if we don't count the original characters: Luigi, Wolf, Falco, Ganondorf, Lucas, and Toon Link), Melee had a cast of 25 and 7 clones (Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Falco, Young Link, and Ganondorf), and in Brawl's case much more was done to distinguish the clones. Luigi grew still further away from Mario, and Falco and Wolf have more subtle differences from Fox this time then Falco did from Fox in Melee, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon both received changes that sent them in different directions. Lucas barely counts as a clone given that a lot of his Smash attacks function incredibly differently from Ness

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Boutros said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Boutros said:
forest-spirit said:

Gamecube was not up to old Nintendo quality?  Really I hated last gen, it was simply bad all around, PS2 had a lot of crap games, Final Fantasy fell from grace, not even N64 level of support for the GC, and Nintendo didn't make as many just purely great games.

Tell me one Gamecube title that changed gaming as much as OoT or Wii Sports?

That's the thing. They didn't try to change gaming last gen.

There's so many good games on the Gamecube. I don't know what you're talking about!

Smash, Zelda TWW, Zelda TP, Sunshine, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Mario Kart... which all except Paper Mario have superior Wii sequels or just improved Wii ports (in the case of Pikmin which I still don't care for) then the Gamecube was FAR worse for quality third party support... then you add in Nintendo creating new fun IPs and experiences with Wii... same way they created new experiences with 3D games for N64, advanced gameplay on SNES and defined games during the NES era... Gamecube era WAS the time they were a shadow of themselves not now, just now that lowly opinion and animosity people had for Nintendo last gen is amplified by being the "in thing".

The article (which is a complete joke) itself talks about having Nintendo parties when they were younger and that Nintendo no longer brings experiences like that anymore... when that IS the appeal of the Wii that is what stirred all the love for the Wii to begin with, going over to your friends house to play Wii Sports, having fun, having these "Nintendo Parties", it wasn't Nintendo that changed, it was what they wanted out of games, period.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Boutros said:
forest-spirit said:

It's simple. The Nintendo of last gen was not the old Nintendo. It was a Nintendo that tried to be something it never was, or something like that. With the Wii Nintendo went back to it's roots.

I would also like to add that there wasn't much change between Xbox and Xbox 360, or PSX and PS2. Between PS2 and PS3 I would say there's some notable difference though; with PS3 Sony lost a big chunk of it's casual crowd.

Old Nintendo reminds me only of their dirty market tactics back in the ealry 90's, so no, I don't want the old Nintendo back :P

I think their current marketing approach in terms of profit and mainstream perception and rating is damn fine, thank you very much. They're like a lesser Apple.

But I have to say the Wii, even being their most successful console to date, has their worst games library ever. The stockholder may be happy, but the demaning, enthusiastic gamer is not. 

Mr Khan said:
RolStoppable said:

What makes these people sad is that the Wii sold so many units. They don't want to play Nintendo, it's that simple. If you spit on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and at the same time demand the old Nintendo to come back, then that's the biggest contradiction you can possibly make. Either that or you don't know what the old Nintendo was like. In both cases it's embarrassing for a gaming journalist.

They're targeting a different Nintendo to come back. They want SNES N64 Nintendo to come back.

I've always thought that a lot of these "Nintendo abandoned us!" screamers were more Rare fans then Nintendo fans, but blame Microsoft's acquisition of Rare and Rare's changes over the years on Nintendo. If you look at a lot of what they scream about, it was stuff that Rare provided at one point. Nintendo's largely been doing the same thing over the years, aside from some changes in hardware design philosophy.

Oh, and it is categorically and objectively false to declare that Brawl had an "overreliance on clones," especially if you're trying to make a comparison to Melee. Brawl had a cast of 35 and 6 clones (if we don't count the original characters: Luigi, Wolf, Falco, Ganondorf, Lucas, and Toon Link), Melee had a cast of 25 and 7 clones (Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Falco, Young Link, and Ganondorf), and in Brawl's case much more was done to distinguish the clones. Luigi grew still further away from Mario, and Falco and Wolf have more subtle differences from Fox this time then Falco did from Fox in Melee, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon both received changes that sent them in different directions. Lucas barely counts as a clone given that a lot of his Smash attacks function incredibly differently from Ness

Brawl also had way more time to be developed, and yet even melee characters like Ganondorf remained clones. Its just lazy.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype