By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

Gamerace said:

I understand where he is coming from.   But what they must remember, is Nintendo didn't leave them, they left Nintendo.    That group, that once loved their NES and SNES, drifted to PS and almost totally abandoned Nintendo for the PS2.    That's where the 'real' games were.  The GC was a kiddie system.

Coming into this gen there was no way Nintendo could beat Sony's tech or MS online.   Any attempt to do so would be suicide and as most of you might remember, many an analyst, professional or mere forum goer surmised that this gen would kill Nintendo.

So Nintendo zigged while they zagged.   Their old audience had left them so they went looking for a new one, and found it, and how!  This path has diverged them even further from that old market that Ms/Sony now dominate but why should Nintendo care?  

End of the day, the bottom line is this:  Nintendo is crazy f---ing profittable in this business.  MS and Sony are not.    So why cater to a group that cannot be adequately profitted from?   Fighting on terms set by Sony/MS and 3rd parties?

If Nintendo went back to the way they were it'd be the end of them.    Thank God they aren't that stupid.

In the meantime, tomorrow's game critics/journalists, who are equally female now, are growing up loving the Nintendo that is.

*stands and applauses*

...Seriously last gen I was NEVER into video games like this. Yes I had all the major consoles, but VERY few games. My kids weren't playing, and it seem the fun was replaced in alot of games for full motion video.

The Pick and Play attitude that Ninty has I hope will never die.

The only problem that Nintendo ran into is that it would take a while for third parties to understand the concept, instead relying on cloning the Nintendo experience. Kinda like what the competitors are doing now.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network
Smeags said:

Hrm.

I've spent way too much time staring at this Quick Reply area with something to say. All in all, I'll just say that... as one of these "older gamers" (which is laughable, because at 21, I never owned an NES and started with the Genesis), I'm completely happy with the Wii as a console. And if that means that I'm somehow a lesser gamer for it, then so be it.

*shrugs* At the end, they're video game consoles meant for our entertainment. It's too bad people have to go through so much just to get a simple opinion across.

In real life, I know of 4 people who used to play Nintendo games with me. Oddly enough, the 4 are unsatified this gen.

I'm really starting to think it might simply be because of graphics :/

Because when I play my Wii, I have the same feeling as when I'm playing a very old game.

Or perhaps it is because I'm mostly playing my Wii alone.

I know it's much more fun with other people but it's not like I can all the time. My bro doesn't want to play because he's a PC gamer and he "can't stand the graphics" and I can't have friends at home all the time :/

I hope I'll eventually put my finger on it.

leatherhat said:

I think its significantly worse.

Oh, I get it.

You're joking, right?

Right?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

SuperAdrianK said:

I thought this was a joke thread because of the return of old school classics like Donkey kong and Kirby are returning. Well, that's what I got from the title. Too bad I was wrong...

Yeah well like I said, the future looks much more promising with the upcoming Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Zelda.

Hopefully by the end of the year, my opinion will change.

dtewi said:
leatherhat said:

Oh, I get it.

You're joking, right?

Right?

Not really. Twilight Princess was to me the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry. It was one of the most bland games Ive ever played and a major step down from previous zeldas. Also the art design sucked so it was like watching ugly paing dry.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
dtewi said:
leatherhat said:

Oh, I get it.

You're joking, right?

Right?

Not really. Twilight Princess was to me the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry. It was one of the most bland games Ive ever played and a major step down from previous zeldas. Also the art design sucked so it was like watching ugly paing dry.

And SSBB is worse than SSB64?

How the hell does that make sense?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Is it the April 1 st already?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

dtewi said:
leatherhat said:
dtewi said:
leatherhat said:

Oh, I get it.

You're joking, right?

Right?

I  don't like the floaty phsyics, and there was an extreme overeliance on clone characters. Brawl also had some really bad stages and not a single semblance of balance.  Plus it was such a wasted oppurtunity, they could have given us some really cool characters but instead they gave us fox clones.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

I don't get people whining about wanting the old Nintendo back. Today's Nintendo is the old Nintendo.

Honestly, the world of gaming would be a much better place if the whiners just sold their Wii's (for real this time), stuck to their favourite console and let the rest enjoy their games, hardcore or not.

dtewi said:
leatherhat said:
dtewi said:
leatherhat said:

Oh, I get it.

You're joking, right?

Right?

I know plenty of people who prefer SSB64. What are they, complete morons?

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.