By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age 2 announced !

woorooney said:

Is this a thread against ME2 or about Dragon Age 2?I am a bit confused...

Both, ME2 has made many of sceptical of Bioware's future releases. If Dragon Age 2 is anything like ME2 compared to their respective sequels, it won't be good for RPG fans at all. If I want to play action games and shooters I'll go play some Ninja Gaiden and CoD.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
woorooney said:

Both, ME2 has made many of sceptical of Bioware's future releases. If Dragon Age 2 is anything like ME2 compared to their respective sequels, it won't be good for RPG fans at all. If I want to play action games and shooters I'll go play some Ninja Gaiden and CoD.

I don't think you have to worry about it. The evolution of Mass Effect 2 was a culling of unnecessary elements and a tightening of core mechanics, since it already played like a shooter - just a very clunky one.

Dragon Age to the best of my knowledge doesn't play like an action game. If they do anything they'll probably just streamline the command input system so it's faster-paced.

JWS said:
Lolcislaw said:
Mummelmann said:
vlad321 said:

OH AWESOME! I loved Dragon Age 1 much more than ME. I really hope they focus on PC first again. Hopefully they don't fuck it up like ME2.

Agreed. I'm more excited for The Witcher 2 though, but this is still great news! Now, if only they'd make Baldur's Gate III (goes off into daydream)...

Completely forgot about Witcher 2 , is it coming out on the Consoles or is it PC only again?

so far it's pc only. Lets pray it stays that way.

They had interviews with boss of CDP and he said W2 is coming to pc first, then the x360 version will be released some months later and after that they will release PS3 version (imho ps3 is not gonna happen but Divinity 2/Risen class port to x360 will be made ;) )

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
JWS said:
Lolcislaw said:
Mummelmann said:
vlad321 said:

OH AWESOME! I loved Dragon Age 1 much more than ME. I really hope they focus on PC first again. Hopefully they don't fuck it up like ME2.

Agreed. I'm more excited for The Witcher 2 though, but this is still great news! Now, if only they'd make Baldur's Gate III (goes off into daydream)...

Completely forgot about Witcher 2 , is it coming out on the Consoles or is it PC only again?

so far it's pc only. Lets pray it stays that way.

They had interviews with boss of CDP and he said W2 is coming to pc first, then the x360 version will be released some months later and after that they will release PS3 version (imho ps3 is not gonna happen but Divinity 2/Risen class port to x360 will be made ;) )

US version of Risen is excellent on the 360

Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:
woorooney said:

I don't think you have to worry about it. The evolution of Mass Effect 2 was a culling of unnecessary elements and a tightening of core mechanics, since it already played like a shooter - just a very clunky one.

Dragon Age to the best of my knowledge doesn't play like an action game. If they do anything they'll probably just streamline the command input system so it's faster-paced.

That is actually false. ME1 played like an RPG with clunky shooter elements and ME2 completely ruined it. Good thing ME2 had the saving grace of sequel interoperability. As I say, too few armors to be a good RPG, too few guns to be a good shooter.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

That is actually false. ME1 played like an RPG with clunky shooter elements and ME2 completely ruined it. Good thing ME2 had the saving grace of sequel interoperability. As I say, too few armors to be a good RPG, too few guns to be a good shooter.

I'm not here to argue the merits or failings of Mass Effect 2. I'm pointing out that there was mechanical continuity whn it comes to the direction they took the series; there is no such continuity in turning Dragon Age into an action game. It's not likely to happen.

Khuutra said:
vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

I'm not here to argue the merits or failings of Mass Effect 2. I'm pointing out that there was mechanical continuity whn it comes to the direction they took the series; there is no such continuity in turning Dragon Age into an action game. It's not likely to happen.

Except for the whole "better action, more action" approach they seem to be taking with it.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

Except for the whole "better action, more action" approach they seem to be taking with it.

That description is about content. I am not talking about content, I am talking about mechanics and mechanical continuity.

"Better action, more action" means that the combat is more fun and probably more intuitive, as well as being more frequent. This is a qualitative sift, but does not imply a mechanical one.

What I'm talking about is a shift in mechanics - i.e. playing like something like Demon's Souls instead of what there is now.

The content thing I'm sure will be true.

The mechanical shift is almost definitely not going to happen, because it has not been hinted at by developers and there is no mechanical continuity to suggest that it's possible. Mass Effect at least had combat centered around semi-realtime shooting. Dragon Age has nothing of the kind for action game combat.

Khuutra said:
vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

That description is about content. I am not talking about content, I am talking about mechanics and mechanical continuity.

"Better action, more action" means that the combat is more fun and probably more intuitive, as well as being more frequent. This is a qualitative sift, but does not imply a mechanical one.

What I'm talking about is a shift in mechanics - i.e. playing like something like Demon's Souls instead of what there is now.

The content thing I'm sure will be true.

The mechanical shift is almost definitely not going to happen, because it has not been hinted at by developers and there is no mechanical continuity to suggest that it's possible. Mass Effect at least had combat centered around semi-realtime shooting. Dragon Age has nothing of the kind for action game combat.

No but they could easily remove some of the intricacies, like long cooldowns, spell combinations, fewer skills to choose from, etc. etc. and completely ruin the game.

vlad321 said:

No but they could easily remove some of the intricacies, like long cooldowns, spell combinations, fewer skills to choose from, etc. etc. and completely ruin the game.

That is unrelated to my post and unrelated to the post that I was replying to.