By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age 2 announced !

Dragon Age 2 is happening. Then again, we already knew that; the first game was called "Origins." The Game Informer cover doesn't reveal much, but here's what we're able to glean from its meager frame: The game is called Dragon Age 2, it features a new champion (what about importing Sneakblayde, our elf rogue?), a different part of the world (see ya, Ferelden!) and it's "breathtaking."

We're not sure what's breathtaking here, but if the game looks anything like the art style on the cover, we're going to imagine that's what GI's talking about. Remember, Greg Zeschuk told us they were working to make the Dragon Age engine look, in his words, "visually super hot." Is this what BioWare was teasing for February 1, 2011? With a 10-page cover story, it sounds like BioWare and EA are ready to talk about this thing, so we're guessing in the affirmative. Watch that mailbox (or F5 Joystiq) to learn more.

Update 9:35am: That didn't take long! BioWare just uncorked the Dragon Age 2 page and, with it, some new details. First, we've got a description of the game that has you gathering allies (the deadliest of them, no less!), amassing fame and fortune, and beginning your "Rise to Power." Yeah, we're getting a Fable 3 vibe also.

The "key features" include a decade-long story, the aforementioned "rise to power," some much-needed "dynamic new combat mechanics," not only "updated graphics" but also a "new visual style," all combining for an "entirely new cinematic experience." We've got some concept art for you below

Oh, and pre-orders start today, but that hasn't stopped GameStop from putting up a date. Yeah, they're saying February 1, 2011.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/08/dragon-age-2-revealed-on-game-informer-cover-praise-andraste/

______________________________________________________________________________________

Final boxart ? :

Bioware surely must have a huge team.

UPDATE:

The official Dragon Age 2 press release has some more details on the just-announced sequel. Like BioWare's other recent sequel – the hugely successful Mass Effect 2Dragon Age 2 is going for a Q1 release. The press release states "March 2011" which is close to, but not on, the February 1, 2011 date teased in packages of Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening. We've asked EA to comment on the discrepancy.

Also like Mass Effect, Dragon Age 2 is ditching the original's roll-your-own character creation system, complete with unique origin stories for all the different playable races, for a more "cinematic" scripted hero named Hawke. BioWare's Chris Priestley addressed the community on the official forums, stating, "While I do enjoy having fun with our fans, I am not joking about this. The player character is a human (either male or female) with the last name of Hawke. Dragon Age 2 is the story of Hawke." Then he quotes from the press release:
Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke's rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.
So in Dragon Age 2, there will be only one origin story, that of the male or female Hawke, and you won't be importing and playing as your old character. Like Mass Effect, we imagine we'll be tasked with the first name and look of the character, which already has our creative juices moving. How about "Lady Hawke" for you Michelle Pfeiffer fans? Or maybe "Tomclancys Hawke" for the gamers out there. "I'm bad-ass warrior Hawke, and this is my favorite post on the internet."
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/08/dragon-age-2-dated-for-march-2011-playable-character-is-a-human/

Around the Network

That boxart... I must have it in my collection! Even if the game itself is a fuck-ugly bore like the original.

MY GOD! THAT BOXART IT'S AMAZINGGGG O.O

looking forward to this game.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Barozi said:

Bioware surely must have a huge team.

I think they actually have four different teams in different cities - I think. One probably works exclusively on DA, another on Mass Effect, another on The Old Republic.... I dunno. Something like that.

CAN"T WAIT! ! 

I wonder if there will be ME -> ME2 type changes. If so this might just be the best game ever.

Around the Network

Brilliant! Can't wait for this. I need to get back and play through my last 2 origin stories!

@ Khuutra

That was my understanding of it too. 1 Dragon Age team, 1 Mass effect team, 1 Old Republic team and a team working on something... secret.

silicon said:

CAN"T WAIT! ! 

I wonder if there will be ME -> ME2 type changes. If so this might just be the best game ever.

You mean two swords, three spears and two bows for your characters for the whole game ? Or replacing pseudo turn based combat with Demons souls like slashing? :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I'm happy a sequel is coming, but it does sound a little too similar to Fable III for my liking atm. :/

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

This is good news. Dragons age was my favorite rpg of this gen. I just hope they dont ruin it like they did with mass effect 2.

JWS said:

This is good news. Dragons age was my favorite rpg of this gen. I just hope they dont ruin it like they did with mass effect 2.

They ruined Mass Effect 2 and nobody told me??  HAHA.  ME2 was great IMO, even though there wasn't a lot to improve on as the original was so good.

Dragon Age, like ME was also great, but had some minor...idiosyncracies.  I'd love a graphical improvement and updated combat.  Regardless, sign me up, I just recently finished another play through of Origins!