By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Kynes said:

Which console is going to be discontinued first, the one making now nice profits, or the one which is almost sure that is not making them? Jarrod has explained it perfectly.

As far as I know, both consoles are profitable, so that point is moot.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kynes said:

Which console is going to be discontinued first, the one making now nice profits, or the one which is almost sure that is not making them? Jarrod has explained it perfectly.

I don't want to butt in, as I couldn't care less about financials, but both consoles are profitable now (Sony said recently they've broken even on the PS3).

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Year/Months

PS3 Sales

360 Sales

SCE/Network OI

MS EDD OI

Additional Info

2005     $480,000,000 ($391,000,000)  

Nov & Dec  N/A 1,173,809     360 launches Worldwide

2006     $74,000,000 ($1,339,000,000)  

Jan & Feb  N/A 838,254      
Mar & Apr  N/A 873,150      
May & June  N/A 787,686      
July & Aug  N/A 684,447      
Sept & Oct  N/A 701,841      
Nov & Dec 1,232,194 2,870,085     PS3 launches in NA and JPN

2007     ($2,581,388,889) ($1,969,000,000)  

Jan & Feb 690,361 1,031,092      
Mar & Apr 1,237,249 654,381     PS3 launches in EMEAA
May & June 573,045 708,508      
July & Aug 849,598 827,935     $50 price drop on all 360 models
Sept & Oct 1,036,032 1,636,538      
Nov & Dec 3,235,606 3,019,891     PS3 drops to $399

2008     ($1,383,622,222) $426,000,000  

Jan & Feb 1,559,046 1,170,829      
Mar & Apr 1,358,734 1,151,993      
May & June 1,236,458 938,078      
July & Aug 1,118,247 1,046,272      
Sept & Oct 1,202,100 1,607,562     $50-$80 price drops on all 360 models. Arcade is $199
Nov & Dec 3,244,880 5,093,919      

2009     ($649,733,333) $169,000,000  

Jan & Feb 1,268,611 1,474,252      
Mar & Apr 1,239,598 1,223,416      
May & June 895,998 945,205      
July & Aug 1,393,845 1,013,884     Price drop on the Elite to $299
Sept & Oct 2,125,197 1,201,387     PS3 Slim launches. $100 cheaper
Nov & Dec 5,581,020 4,371,058      

2010     ($923,222,322) N/A  

Jan & Feb 1,844,374 1,441,955      
Mar & Apr 1,689,812 1,179,612      
May & Jun 1,060,237 977,010     Launch of 360s and clearance sale prices
July & Aug N/A N/A      
Sept & Oct N/A N/A      
Nov & Dec N/A N/A      

I did this table ages ago when I was more interested in the sales. Just updated it. I think the numbers show that the PS3 will eventually catch the 360 - but not before new consoles are launched.

360 boosts don't last as long as PS3 ones.

thx1139 said:
slowmo said:

Why did this discussion turn into a debate over profits?  The thread is about whether the PS3 will overtake the 360 so I don't see the relevance of which company makes more money personally unless you're discussing current financials which could effect future pricing.

Profit has to come into the discussion.

It is simple really will Sony be willing to sell the PS3 at a loss the remainder of this generation to catch the 360?  I for one believe Sony is now at a place where profit is more important than making thier fans happy by trying to beat the 360.

Think of it this way. If come this fall Sony sees that they will sell 13 million this fiscal year will they cut price $50 so they can reach the 15 million goal and lose like $50 per console on about 7 million consoles.

" lose like $50 per console on about 7 million consoles."

how will they lose $50 on million??????

Kynes said:

continue bullshiting

both PS3 and 360 are making profit

also PS3 has pricecut to bring sales,and 360 is already pretty cheap and still at 40m.PS3 has more pricecuts to boost sales

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thx1139 said:
slowmo said:

Why did this discussion turn into a debate over profits?  The thread is about whether the PS3 will overtake the 360 so I don't see the relevance of which company makes more money personally unless you're discussing current financials which could effect future pricing.

It is simple really will Sony be willing to sell the PS3 at a loss the remainder of this generation to catch the 360?  I for one believe Sony is now at a place where profit is more important than making thier fans happy by trying to beat the 360.

Think of it this way. If come this fall Sony sees that they will sell 13 million this fiscal year will they cut price $50 so they can reach the 15 million goal and lose like $50 per console on about 7 million consoles.

Dont know what you are asking.  They are basically breaking even on the PS3 right now. So a $50 price cut to boost sales from 13 to 15 million causes additional losses for the sake of 2 million extra console sales.  The reason I say 7 million is because to sell the additional 2 million consoles they will need to make the price change before the holiday sales period. I guestimated that from that time (say Nov 1) through March 31 2011 they would sell 7 million consoles at $250 rather than 5 million at $300.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

1) I feel like you argue even when there isn't anything to argue about.

i feels the same about you

2) Actually I said MS will probably wait 3 - 4 years before releasing a console. So... lets move on.

yes,thats hat i was referring to so lets stay on

as if MS releases consoles after PS4 and Wii2,they will sink down

3) Hmmm... yeah. Like I said, 3 - 4 years.

like i said Ninty and SONY will come up with new machines by 2013 so MS needs to come before

4) Well lets wait and see if they start posting some profits any time soon. My guess is making the PS4 cheap is the first priority. I mean they released a very expensive console and we saw how that worked out.

they will post some profit soon for the PS division

yes they released an expensive consoles and thats why they were able to Establish blu-ray and PS4 blu-ray being cheap

5) Its great that Sony helped establish Bluray. But I fail to understand how it really benefited Sony. Is there no money in DVDs? What a wacky business.

YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

SONY were earning less royalties from DVD but will own more from BLU-RAY.

also after some time of domination,people want new format and HD-DVD was coming up.if it had taken over then SONY will be earning the low DVD royalties and no HD-DVD royalties

6) Well the PS3 would definitely be much less relevant. The only thing currently keeping it alive is Sony gladly pissing money away.

yes but only because it still has value

7) In regards to damage control. Sony fucked up. They put out a ridiculously high priced gaming console and the masses went elsewhere. Basically Sony is doing whatever it takes to not lose more of their old audience to the 360 and Wii. Even if it means the PS3 is ultimately a financial disaster. In my opinion that's damage control.

obviously they are not trying to lose money when the format has been established.

Damge control is when damage is done without knowing or intention,SONY completely knew that they were gonna lose huge amounts and like any other company when the job is done,they want to stop the losses now

8) We'll have to wait and see.

so we will

4) Unlikely, but we'll see.

5) I wonder how much they'll make off Bluray royalties. Was it worth making the PS3 a disaster? Were the standard DVD royalties that worthless? How long is it gonna take for Bluray to be the dominant media for movies and video games? Sony took a big risk, when will it be worth it?

6) Nobody said it didn't have value. But Sony hurt the brand with this PS3 disaster. Its been a step down, not a step up.

7) Well I think trying to reduce damage to the Playstation brand is damage control.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

1) I feel like you argue even when there isn't anything to argue about.

i feels the same about you

2) Actually I said MS will probably wait 3 - 4 years before releasing a console. So... lets move on.

yes,thats hat i was referring to so lets stay on

as if MS releases consoles after PS4 and Wii2,they will sink down

3) Hmmm... yeah. Like I said, 3 - 4 years.

like i said Ninty and SONY will come up with new machines by 2013 so MS needs to come before

4) Well lets wait and see if they start posting some profits any time soon. My guess is making the PS4 cheap is the first priority. I mean they released a very expensive console and we saw how that worked out.

they will post some profit soon for the PS division 

yes they released an expensive consoles and thats why they were able to Establish blu-ray and PS4 blu-ray being cheap

5) Its great that Sony helped establish Bluray. But I fail to understand how it really benefited Sony. Is there no money in DVDs? What a wacky business.

YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

SONY were earning less royalties from DVD but will own more from BLU-RAY.

also after some time of domination,people want new format and HD-DVD was coming up.if it had taken over then SONY will be earning the low DVD royalties and no HD-DVD royalties

6) Well the PS3 would definitely be much less relevant. The only thing currently keeping it alive is Sony gladly pissing money away.

yes but only because it still has value

7) In regards to damage control. Sony fucked up. They put out a ridiculously high priced gaming console and the masses went elsewhere. Basically Sony is doing whatever it takes to not lose more of their old audience to the 360 and Wii. Even if it means the PS3 is ultimately a financial disaster. In my opinion that's damage control.

obviously they are not trying to lose money when the format has been established.

Damge control is when damage is done without knowing or intention,SONY completely knew that they were gonna lose huge amounts and like any other company when the job is done,they want to stop the losses now

8) We'll have to wait and see.

so we will

4) Unlikely, but we'll see.

how is it unlikely?,they are already making profit.

5) I wonder how much they'll make off Bluray royalties. Was it worth making the PS3 a disaster?

do you even have any idea what you can make from a formaty royalties.the losses made by the PS3 will be easily wiped out

Were the standard DVD royalties that worthless?

they weren't worthless but they were dying and slowly decreasing in amount to as DVD forum cuts the royalty fees to continue demand

and if they didn't go with BLU-RAY then HD-DVD would have won and they  would have got nothing.

but now they are getting both DVD and BLU-RAY royalties

How long is it gonna take for Bluray to be the dominant media for movies and video games? Sony took a big risk, when will it be worth it?

it will be a dominant format next gen like the DVD when its cheap and with PS4 it will be cheap

SONY took a risk depending on the PS brand being able to push BLU-RAY and they were succesfull

6) Nobody said it didn't have value. But Sony hurt the brand with this PS3 disaster. Its been a step down, not a step up.

SONY hurt the brand but the brand isn't dead.its still competing very much at a higher price and blu-ray has also won.

7) Well I think trying to reduce damage to the Playstation brand is damage control.

how is it damage control.it is normal business

it would only be called damage control if they didn't know that the brand was going to be damaged.

with the high price they knew it would be damaged and make loss.so that isn't damage control but more like normal business strategy.

thx1139 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thx1139 said:
slowmo said:

Dont know what you are asking.  They are basically breaking even on the PS3 right now. So a $50 price cut to boost sales from 13 to 15 million causes additional losses for the sake of 2 million extra console sales.  The reason I say 7 million is because to sell the additional 2 million consoles they will need to make the price change before the holiday sales period. I guestimated that from that time (say Nov 1) through March 31 2011 they would sell 7 million consoles at $250 rather than 5 million at $300.

we don't know if they are breaking even.

stop bullshting trying to make people believe that PS3 just doesn't make profit

SONY CFO at FY09-10 FINANCIAL REPORT MEETING said PS3 started making profit in USA under$10 in  JAN-MAR period

in may they induced  the RSX 40nm which will make more profit.

don't forget that in JAPAN they were already making profit as they sell for $340 there.

even in Europe they were selling at a higher cost.

even after this if you think they are just breaking even,then you have gone bonkers.

and for your info if they do a $50 PRICE-CUT it will do alot more than just 2m PS3's

now if they are already getting 15m projected PS3 sales without a price cut then they will not make it but if the impact of 360 doesn't allow it then they will.

i think by the above mentioned cost cuts and profits SONY is making,if they cut the price by $50 they will be  losing a minor amoutn and not full $50 as you say.

now that minor loss can be made by Software sales like it was done when PS3 SLIM was released and Software sales were making the minor loss on PS3 SLIM's

and don't forget the profits they would make on bundles,250gb ones which alot of people will buy once that gets down to $299 and accesaries.

once more thing,32nm  is incoming by the end of this year and other hardware costs keep decreasing as time goes.

NOW EVEN after all this you think that PS3 will just continue to lose then what can i say.I can't treat a patient like you

32nm where? TSMC ditched it, Globalfoundries ditched it.