By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

kowenicki said:
jneul said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

With the recent launch of the slim and Kinect coming up, 360 will see massive sales this holiday...more than the PS3 by a very large margin, increasing the gap again.

The gap is too big and the 360 will always be popular in America, no matter what price the PS3 is. 

Its obvious that the 149$ clearance sale arcade also has had a big impact in these sales.

It's time to admit that the 360s release is not that impressive considering the ps3s was more expensive(by $100) and managed to sell 500k consoles in one week, the damage control on here is out of hand, seriously...

Even if x360 sell loads in europe to make up for this when it releases, and the amount of all three markets add up to more than 500k than that is to be expected, but it should be a huge increase on ps3s sales considering the price difference...

I would not lose faith in PS3, we have GT5, that will work miracles in Europe alone, have faith...

how ironic.

LOL How Ironic that you're the one who pointed out the irony

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
rutea7 said:
miqdadi said:

In the USA I am sure the PS3 will not catch  360 , It's over there , If I owned a 360 I don't need a PS3 , the games are one and the same , I don't remember seeing two similar consoles in my gaming history , OK U can't play gran turismo (U got Forza) U can't play Killzone (U have Halo) this is not much of a big differance .

The only bright side I see is Blue-Ray support by PS3 (U can purchase a Blue-ray machine still) , Had microsoft choosed to support HD-DVD then it would't have died and Toshiba would be still fighting for it's market share till date.

Anyway in Europe we will have to see if The price cut will change the market there because the PS3 is leading there , The gap has shrunk to 5 Million because of Europe & Japan market.

i'd like to know what are the replacements for other ps3 exclusives in ur opinion, cause just because u might not like them or care about those they are still there and make the ps3 games library a pretty impressive one.

what's the substitute for god of war, uncharted, infamous, yakuza and other franchises that you cant find anywhere else?

@OP: like other people have stated before, i cant say i care that much about the ps3 beating xbox360 in sales. i'm happy with my console of choice, it has a respectable install base that cant be ignored and a great library of games. i know the console still has at least 3 more years to live up to it's full potential, the games will keep coming. that's all i want and expect when i buy a playstation console.

god of war = bayonetta, dante's inferno

uncharted = tomb raider

infamous = crackdown

yakuza = GTA (i'm sort of guessing cause i'm not too familur with yakuza)

Yakuza=GTA? Not even close. Yakuza is more like Shenmue with Kiryu-tan, transvestites and blackjack. So you see there’s no replacement for such a wonderful masterpiece like Yakuza. 

I'll still stay a bit inclined to favouring PS3 this holiday..possibly ps3 will edge out 360 still in WorldWide...don't forget Japan and what PS3 Move mite do there is still somethin yet to be seen..

kitler53 said:
rutea7 said:
miqdadi said:

In the USA I am sure the PS3 will not catch  360 , It's over there , If I owned a 360 I don't need a PS3 , the games are one and the same , I don't remember seeing two similar consoles in my gaming history , OK U can't play gran turismo (U got Forza) U can't play Killzone (U have Halo) this is not much of a big differance .

The only bright side I see is Blue-Ray support by PS3 (U can purchase a Blue-ray machine still) , Had microsoft choosed to support HD-DVD then it would't have died and Toshiba would be still fighting for it's market share till date.

Anyway in Europe we will have to see if The price cut will change the market there because the PS3 is leading there , The gap has shrunk to 5 Million because of Europe & Japan market.

i'd like to know what are the replacements for other ps3 exclusives in ur opinion, cause just because u might not like them or care about those they are still there and make the ps3 games library a pretty impressive one.

what's the substitute for god of war, uncharted, infamous, yakuza and other franchises that you cant find anywhere else?

@OP: like other people have stated before, i cant say i care that much about the ps3 beating xbox360 in sales. i'm happy with my console of choice, it has a respectable install base that cant be ignored and a great library of games. i know the console still has at least 3 more years to live up to it's full potential, the games will keep coming. that's all i want and expect when i buy a playstation console.

uncharted = tomb raider

infamous = crackdown

HELL NO!!!!

kitler53 said:
rutea7 said:
miqdadi said:

uncharted = tomb raider

infamous = crackdown

so u get non exclusives and... not very good titles, imo, to compare to THOSE games?

and yeah the yakuza gta comparison was unfortunate but it's ok cause u admited not being sure

and tomb raider is pretty much dead, i used to be a fan though.

Edit: i know crackdown is exclusive.... the only one u listed

Around the Network
rutea7 said:
kitler53 said:
rutea7 said:
miqdadi said:

uncharted = tomb raider

infamous = crackdown

so u get non exclusives and... not very good titles, imo, to compare to THOSE games?

and yeah the yakuza gta comparison was unfortunate but it's ok cause u admited not being sure

and tomb raider is pretty much dead, i used to be a fan though.

Edit: i know crackdown is exclusive.... the only one u listed

lol, apparently my post got quite a responce. xD

..but you're preaching to the choir as i'm a ps3 fan first and foremost.  i guess the only point was that the 360 has plenty of games too.  and it's not like we have a good responce game for mass effect, viva pinata, mech warrior, ect.

I have all three systems but i really only play my ps3 cause there are too many games to give all systems some love.  i could be content with just a 360 if i wanted to.  wii-only - probably not.  i'm not that into crappy games.

joeorc said:
Killiana1a said:

As I stated earlier in this thread, Sony took a $4.7 billion loss from when the PS3 was released until it started becoming profitable, which was around 2009.

That $4.7 billion was a real cost incurred by Sony and until they manage to recoup that $4.7 billion and then some from Walkman sales, television sales, or whatever, then the PS3 cannot be considered a worthwile, profitable venture that beckons a PS4.

All of that profit the PS3 is making now is what Accounting 101 calls a "credit" and that $4.7 billion loss is what Accounting 101 calls a "debit." Sony has a lot of credits to make from the PS3 in order to remove the parentheses from the red (4.7) billion.

I am just wondering what kind of uninformed investor invests in companies such as Sony who have shown with the PS3, that they are willing to take a $4.7 billion loss and still have another $5 billion loss via the PS4 in the next 5 years?

Now, I am assuming: 1. There will be a PS4 and 2. Sony and Kaz Hirai will try to 1up Nintendo and Microsoft by putting out another overpriced vanity machine (PS4) at a price all except the most fervent of Sony supporters will not buy.

I don't wish death on Sony as I have been a consumer of their product in my younger years, I just wish they would own up to their past mistakes, chop some heads off in their company, and get back to the basics by prioritizing what products are making a profit, continue to make those profitable products, and shut down the products and company divisions who are running at a loss, while being subsidized by the more profitable product divisions.

YET MORE DIATRIBE: LOL....

Playstation does not just = the PS3

yes let's just to choose to ignore the PSP profit's, the PS2 profit's and software from those 2 other platform's including the PS3 software profit's and PSN digital sales and the profit's from Home, and now PSN plus.....

PSP,PS2,PSN,PSN(PLUS),Home,psp software, PS2 software,ps3 software

is greater than just the

"PS3"

Actually, those were all considered and accounted for, he's talking SCE's overall loss.  In a very real sense just the "PS3" was greater than "PSP,PS2,PSN,PSN(PLUS),Home,psp software, PS2 software,ps3 software" in terms of loss/profit.

We'll never know the real scale of PS3's massive hardware losses because as you pointed out, those profitable sectors were helping pull up the division...

jarrod said:
joeorc said:
Killiana1a said:

As I stated earlier in this thread, Sony took a $4.7 billion loss from when the PS3 was released until it started becoming profitable, which was around 2009.

That $4.7 billion was a real cost incurred by Sony and until they manage to recoup that $4.7 billion and then some from Walkman sales, television sales, or whatever, then the PS3 cannot be considered a worthwile, profitable venture that beckons a PS4.

All of that profit the PS3 is making now is what Accounting 101 calls a "credit" and that $4.7 billion loss is what Accounting 101 calls a "debit." Sony has a lot of credits to make from the PS3 in order to remove the parentheses from the red (4.7) billion.

I am just wondering what kind of uninformed investor invests in companies such as Sony who have shown with the PS3, that they are willing to take a $4.7 billion loss and still have another $5 billion loss via the PS4 in the next 5 years?

Now, I am assuming: 1. There will be a PS4 and 2. Sony and Kaz Hirai will try to 1up Nintendo and Microsoft by putting out another overpriced vanity machine (PS4) at a price all except the most fervent of Sony supporters will not buy.

I don't wish death on Sony as I have been a consumer of their product in my younger years, I just wish they would own up to their past mistakes, chop some heads off in their company, and get back to the basics by prioritizing what products are making a profit, continue to make those profitable products, and shut down the products and company divisions who are running at a loss, while being subsidized by the more profitable product divisions.

YET MORE DIATRIBE: LOL....

Playstation does not just = the PS3

yes let's just to choose to ignore the PSP profit's, the PS2 profit's and software from those 2 other platform's including the PS3 software profit's and PSN digital sales and the profit's from Home, and now PSN plus.....

PSP,PS2,PSN,PSN(PLUS),Home,psp software, PS2 software,ps3 software

is greater than just the

"PS3"

Actually, those were all considered and accounted for, he's talking SCE's overall loss.  In a very real sense just the "PS3" was greater than "PSP,PS2,PSN,PSN(PLUS),Home,psp software, PS2 software,ps3 software" in terms of loss/profit.

We'll never know the real scale of PS3's massive hardware losses because as you pointed out, those profitable sectors were helping pull up the division...

no it's not!

read what he stated! he's not talking about their entire profit's, he was just talking about the PS2's peak sales year's for the PAST 5 year's

" Sony has lost more money selling PlayStation 3s than it made selling PlayStation 2s during the entire five years of its peak."

the profit's that The PS3 ate into was the profit's for the PS2 for the last 5 year's when he made that statement  5 year's is not the entire profit's for the PS2 all together:

Hell he's not even including the PS1 or the PSP.

he's trying to point out just one aspect of the situation to say it = the entire profit loss of the entire playstation platform which is not true at all.

One product in their catalog does not = the entire catalog's sale's/profit's if there is more than just one product

the PS1's which had 10 year's worth of sales, the PSP now over 6 year

just because you want to concentrate on just one product does not mean you just ignore the other's in the catalog!

and why would they not help, their still playstation product's!

The PS3 is now profitable on it's own, now Sony has 3 Playstation Hardware Product's on the market that sell @ a profit!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Mr Puggsly said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

5) I wonder how much they'll make off Bluray royalties. Was it worth making the PS3 a disaster?

do you even have any idea what you can make from a formaty royalties.the losses made by the PS3 will be easily wiped out

Were the standard DVD royalties that worthless?

they weren't worthless but they were dying and slowly decreasing in amount to as DVD forum cuts the royalty fees to continue demand

and if they didn't go with BLU-RAY then HD-DVD would have won and they  would have got nothing.

but now they are getting both DVD and BLU-RAY royalties

5) Seems like a lot of people get royalties from Bluray. Lets all hope their share is enough to cover the PS3.

"Easily wiped out" is something I've never seen supported by hard numbers, anywhere.  Sony's take on Blu-Ray royalties is said to be under 30%, and even less than rival electronics maker Panasonic (who also supplies Nintendo's optical formats btw).  Sony & Phillips basically had to bring so many companies on board to ensure the format's victory (including rival content firms like Disney and initial HD-DVD backer Warner), that they've locked themselves out of the lucrative sort of royalties they started the platform for... the way things went, they might as well have gone with DVD Forum submission.  Sony's still getting a bigger take than they did from DVD (they barely got anything there, Toshiba's standards really took most) but far, far less than they got off CD-ROM (whose patents, and thus royalties, expired in 2001), and worse they had to basically sacrifice their most valuable product line (PlayStation) in a needless format war of their own making.

Also, the BR Group has been steeply dropping license fees to help further drive adoption, try to bring Chinese manufacturers back on board (after CBHD has decimated them in Asiaq) and due to content provider outcries (many of whom now sit on the same board), they've been precipitously dropping fees (far faster than DVD did), meaning even less return from Sony's perspective.  At best I think Blu-Ray can be seen as a pyrrhic victory for PS3's failure, most analysts agree the format won't be as lucrative as DVD, CD or VHS, digital content delivery is on the verge of taking over for film and emerging as a force for games, and I'd say it's very arguable if Sony in the long view has actually gained more from Blu-Ray's victory than they have lost from the downfall of and damage to the PlayStation brand...

jarrod said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

5) I wonder how much they'll make off Bluray royalties. Was it worth making the PS3 a disaster?

do you even have any idea what you can make from a formaty royalties.the losses made by the PS3 will be easily wiped out

Were the standard DVD royalties that worthless?

they weren't worthless but they were dying and slowly decreasing in amount to as DVD forum cuts the royalty fees to continue demand

and if they didn't go with BLU-RAY then HD-DVD would have won and they  would have got nothing.

but now they are getting both DVD and BLU-RAY royalties

5) Seems like a lot of people get royalties from Bluray. Lets all hope their share is enough to cover the PS3.

"Easily wiped out" is something I've never seen supported by hard numbers, anywhere.  Sony's take on Blu-Ray royalties is said to be under 30%, and even less than rival electronics maker Panasonic (who also supplies Nintendo's optical formats btw).  Sony & Phillips basically had to bring so many companies on board to ensure the format's victory (including rival content firms like Disney and initial HD-DVD backer Warner), that they've locked themselves out of the lucrative sort of royalties they started the platform for... the way things went, they might as well have gone with DVD Forum submission.  Sony's still getting a bigger take than they did from DVD (they barely got anything there, Toshiba's standards really took most) but far, far less than they got off CD-ROM (whose patents, and thus royalties, expired in 2001), and worse they had to basically sacrifice their most valuable product line (PlayStation) in a needless format war of their own making.

Also, the BR Group has been steeply dropping license fees to help further drive adoption, try to bring Chinese manufacturers back on board (after CBHD has decimated them in Asiaq) and due to content provider outcries (many of whom now sit on the same board), they've been precipitously dropping fees (far faster than DVD did), meaning even less return from Sony's perspective.  At best I think Blu-Ray can be seen as a pyrrhic victory for PS3's failure, most analysts agree the format won't be as lucrative as DVD, CD or VHS, digital content delivery is on the verge of taking over for film and emerging as a force for games, and I'd say it's very arguable if Sony in the long view has actually gained more from Blu-Ray's victory than they have lost from the downfall of and damage to the PlayStation brand...

that's not true At all and that Diatribe is getting rather Silly.

You do know that unlike HDDVD Blu-ray was already decided by 22 of the largest CE manuf. back in 2002 because The Blu-Ray format was ready to go 3 year's before HD DVD was even ready with it's first Device.

any thing to get a jab in on Sony keep it up ..

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.