By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Slim Lauch Vs Xbox 360 s Launch!

Seece said:
Sephroth said:

I Refuse to call the new xbox a xbox360 slim, Its just a re-design,same hjght end length.

It's nowhere near the same height ..

i think he meant there is not much difference in an exagerated sentence

yes it has lower height but the 360 SLIM is not as much a cut-down

Around the Network

It's interesting to see how similar these boosts are. I'm hoping the new 360 will breathe new air into console sales and keep this momentum going for Microsoft.

One thing you should make note of though, is that the cheapest a PS3 can be purchased for right now is $299. When PS3 slim came out you could buy an Xbox 360 for $199.

Not sure if that makes a huge difference, if any, but something I thought about when I read the OP.

Well the PS3 not only was a new model - but the new model was cheaper than the old one, shaving off close to 100$.  That was almost a no brainer for people on the fence.

So why wouldn't it sell more than a smaller 360 model, same price as the previous Elite, with upgrades like wireless?  The fact that the numbers are even close - is honestly a victory in my eyes for MS.  Check the differences in the current market situation - if they manage to slow or cease the slipping lead in market share - that leaves Sony at a gap they can't close - an another price cut being forced onto them.

People have a whole mess of reasons to buy a PS3 over a 360 (blu-ray, excellent game catalog now, free PSN), and they are still lagging - and actually got their momentum halted/reversed by a new 360 model.  I think people need to start realizing what MS is managing to do here.  It really is something else.

Rawnchie14 said:

Well the PS3 not only was a new model - but the new model was cheaper than the old one, shaving off close to 100$.  That was almost a no brainer for people on the fence.

So why wouldn't it sell more than a smaller 360 model, same price as the previous Elite, with upgrades like wireless?  The fact that the numbers are even close - is honestly a victory in my eyes for MS.  Check the differences in the current market situation - if they manage to slow or cease the slipping lead in market share - that leaves Sony at a gap they can't close - an another price cut being forced onto them.

People have a whole mess of reasons to buy a PS3 over a 360 (blu-ray, excellent game catalog now, free PSN), and they are still lagging - and actually got their momentum halted/reversed by a new 360 model.  I think people need to start realizing what MS is managing to do here.  It really is something else.

it will be victory only if these numbers continue as PS3 sales were spread out and didn't get a price cut on existing models under the cheapest models and were already sold out everywhere unlike with other cheaper models on 360

also 360 was already cheaper not like PS3 which was still very cheap.

Selnor, why do you try to use the "select broken street date" as the first week. Its obvious by the 60k increase in your apparent week 1 to week 2 that the vast majority, IE: a 60% increase form week one to week 2 shows the bulk of retailers didnt release it early, and the increase from week 1 to week 2 shows the demand and potential sales are like closer to a realistic 200k week one.

I mean for gods sake Selnor, even week 3 PS3 Slim outsold week 1? Are you fucking kidding me, its obvious your "week one" is nothing but bullshit manifested in the mind of a microsoft PR spinner, seriously how do you explain weeks 2 and 3 being larger than week 1 of a $100 price cut and remodel? I'll explain for you, its because barring a few select stores in late august, the PS3 Slim didnt "launch"

Not to mention you go out of your way in the OP to say the price of the 360s remains teh same, completely ignoring a drop to $150 entry price to 360 gaming and we have no way to differentiate the sales.

Also, the slim was announced on August 18th, which gave consumers plenty of time to hold off on their purchase thus possibly explaining fluctuation in preslim sales......

Just too many holes, i mean, we all understand your bias, thats not in question, but youre just stretching too much and ocmparing to things that cant/shouldnt be compared, for what? Im not sure any of us know because even you cant twist sales numbers....even though youre trying your darndest to.

This is a huge swing and miss even by your standards.

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
iWarMachine said:
selnor said:
iWarMachine said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
realill said:

PS3  Slim sold 0.5m units week one WW. I do not think 360S will be able to beat it.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/5105/ps3-slim-sells-over-500000-units-worldwide-in-the-first-week/

Actually, 600k with adjustments.

yeah...are we crazy? the ps3 sold 500k its first week if i'm not wrong...

in america the week the big retailers break the launch date, the ps3 sold 100k....the europe week, it sold 250k! and in japan it sold 150k! if america should be the biggest peak for the 360, Selnor, you can't expect it to outsell the Slim launch..... let's not forget that the day the PS3Slim launched, the 360 had a elite price cut, a arcade price cut in europe and several bundles...

There was no Arcade price cut in Europe. The 360 hasnt dropped in price in EU ( where I live ) for over a year.

really? didn't the arcade dropped its price from 200 Euros to 150?

it did

No it didnt.

Here is the current price of Arcade to sell out existing stock for the new 360s arrival. 

http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Arcade-Console/~r344887/

Notice the RRP is £159.99. 

That has been the price for over a year.

selnor said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
iWarMachine said:
selnor said:
iWarMachine said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
realill said:

PS3  Slim sold 0.5m units week one WW. I do not think 360S will be able to beat it.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/5105/ps3-slim-sells-over-500000-units-worldwide-in-the-first-week/

in america the week the big retailers break the launch date, the ps3 sold 100k....the europe week, it sold 250k! and in japan it sold 150k! if america should be the biggest peak for the 360, Selnor, you can't expect it to outsell the Slim launch..... let's not forget that the day the PS3Slim launched, the 360 had a elite price cut, a arcade price cut in europe and several bundles...

There was no Arcade price cut in Europe. The 360 hasnt dropped in price in EU ( where I live ) for over a year.

it did

No it didnt.

Here is the current price of Arcade to sell out existing stock for the new 360s arrival. 

but the discouted units are still lower at £119

now if they had already discounted they can't discount it much lower

steverhcp02 said:

Selnor, why do you try to use the "select broken street date" as the first week. Its obvious by the 60k increase in your apparent week 1 to week 2 that the vast majority, IE: a 60% increase form week one to week 2 shows the bulk of retailers didnt release it early, and the increase from week 1 to week 2 shows the demand and potential sales are like closer to a realistic 200k week one.

I mean for gods sake Selnor, even week 3 PS3 Slim outsold week 1? Are you fucking kidding me, its obvious your "week one" is nothing but bullshit manifested in the mind of a microsoft PR spinner, seriously how do you explain weeks 2 and 3 being larger than week 1 of a $100 price cut and remodel? I'll explain for you, its because barring a few select stores in late august, the PS3 Slim didnt "launch"

Not to mention you go out of your way in the OP to say the price of the 360s remains teh same, completely ignoring a drop to $150 entry price to 360 gaming and we have no way to differentiate the sales.

Also, the slim was announced on August 18th, which gave consumers plenty of time to hold off on their purchase thus possibly explaining fluctuation in preslim sales......

Just too many holes, i mean, we all understand your bias, thats not in question, but youre just stretching too much and ocmparing to things that cant/shouldnt be compared, for what? Im not sure any of us know because even you cant twist sales numbers....even though youre trying your darndest to.

This is a huge swing and miss even by your standards.

This is true. Some stores in my town did not sell ps3 slims until the suggested date
 while others(like every gamestop in my area) sold them early so it will be hard to compare the sales.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Didn't they announce the 360s about 17 minutes before it released?  If that's the case, people probably didn't have much time to come up with the $300 it takes to buy the console.  Plus, it wasn't very close to the holidays and it didn't have much of a price drop at all.

Microsoft probably should've built the hype for the new 360 but in the end, it doesn't really make much of a difference.  The 360s will be the version to get when Kinect launches.  It'll do fine.  Now let me ask this:  Was it better for Microsoft to ADD features to the console and remain at the same price or should they have followed Sony's strategy and cut a few non essential features , added a larger HDD, and went for a much lower price (or is the Arcade already filling that niche?)

Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
iWarMachine said:
selnor said:
iWarMachine said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
realill said:

it did

No it didnt.

but the discouted units are still lower at £119

now if they had already discounted they can't discount it much lower

I dont think we are on the same page. My original comment was answering someone claiming Arcade dropped in price on PS3 Slim launch. When it didnt. It remained at £159.99.

The £119 price has only happened this last week to sell through the old models ready for 360s on July 16.