By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Slim Lauch Vs Xbox 360 s Launch!

selnor said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
iWarMachine said:
selnor said:
iWarMachine said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
realill said:

PS3  Slim sold 0.5m units week one WW. I do not think 360S will be able to beat it.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/5105/ps3-slim-sells-over-500000-units-worldwide-in-the-first-week/

Actually, 600k with adjustments.

yeah...are we crazy? the ps3 sold 500k its first week if i'm not wrong...

in america the week the big retailers break the launch date, the ps3 sold 100k....the europe week, it sold 250k! and in japan it sold 150k! if america should be the biggest peak for the 360, Selnor, you can't expect it to outsell the Slim launch..... let's not forget that the day the PS3Slim launched, the 360 had a elite price cut, a arcade price cut in europe and several bundles...

There was no Arcade price cut in Europe. The 360 hasnt dropped in price in EU ( where I live ) for over a year.

really? didn't the arcade dropped its price from 200 Euros to 150?

it did

No it didnt.

Here is the current price of Arcade to sell out existing stock for the new 360s arrival. 

http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Arcade-Console/~r344887/

Notice the RRP is £159.99. 

That has been the price for over a year.

but the discouted units are still lower at £119

now if they had already discounted they can't discount it much lower

I dont think we are on the same page. My original comment was answering someone claiming Arcade dropped in price on PS3 Slim launch. When it didnt. It remained at £159.99.

The £119 price has only happened this last week to sell through the old models ready for 360s on July 16.

the arcade's did have a price drop around that time discounted if not RRP and it was taken by MS

they atleast had a cash-back and giftward offer too in many regions

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
iWarMachine said:
selnor said:
iWarMachine said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
realill said:

PS3  Slim sold 0.5m units week one WW. I do not think 360S will be able to beat it.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/5105/ps3-slim-sells-over-500000-units-worldwide-in-the-first-week/

Actually, 600k with adjustments.

yeah...are we crazy? the ps3 sold 500k its first week if i'm not wrong...

in america the week the big retailers break the launch date, the ps3 sold 100k....the europe week, it sold 250k! and in japan it sold 150k! if america should be the biggest peak for the 360, Selnor, you can't expect it to outsell the Slim launch..... let's not forget that the day the PS3Slim launched, the 360 had a elite price cut, a arcade price cut in europe and several bundles...

There was no Arcade price cut in Europe. The 360 hasnt dropped in price in EU ( where I live ) for over a year.

really? didn't the arcade dropped its price from 200 Euros to 150?

it did

No it didnt.

Here is the current price of Arcade to sell out existing stock for the new 360s arrival. 

http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Arcade-Console/~r344887/

Notice the RRP is £159.99. 

That has been the price for over a year.

but the discouted units are still lower at £119

now if they had already discounted they can't discount it much lower

I dont think we are on the same page. My original comment was answering someone claiming Arcade dropped in price on PS3 Slim launch. When it didnt. It remained at £159.99.

The £119 price has only happened this last week to sell through the old models ready for 360s on July 16.

the arcade's did have a price drop around that time discounted if not RRP and it was taken by MS

they atleast had a cash-back and giftward offer too in many regions

I remeber the 1 month cashback promotion only in US in November of last year. But the price stayed the same. 

Certtainly here in UK it was £159.99 all the way through the PS3 Slim launch. And we got no cashback either.

both were good launches!

selnor said:
thismeintiel said:

@ selnor

Regardless of how it makes the following weeks look, the official launch was Sept. 1st.  A date most stores abided by.  I really don't think a few local Gamestops and Best Buys releasing it early should count against it.  I know no local Gamestops or Best Buys around me were selling them early.  Besides, Wal-mart and Target most definitely share a greater part in gaming sales in the US.  They are the 2 largest retail chains, afterall.

And if the point of this thread is to compare their launches, then here are my predictions.  First we have the PS3 Slim launch for the week of Aug. 30th - Sept. 5th, in which it sold 582,815 units.  So far we only have the 360 Slim launch in America, 129,325.  When it launches in Japan, I don't see it having a huge impact.  But with the release of the MH game, Ill say it may get 10K.  Again, that's a maybe.  For it's release in EMEAA, I think it may increase its sales to the level the PS3 has been selling.  It could do a little more, so I'll give it 60K.  So, in the end I think the 360 Slim's release will push it to ~200K.  So about a 283K difference.  I also predict that after a few weeks of it being in EMEAA, sales will return to normal everywhere except America, where they will stay slightly above 360's previous numbers.  PS3 will again become the 2nd highest selling home console on a WW weekly basis.

Please stop. I'm only comparing the US in the op for now. Of which many many shops broke the street date. Enough to have more than 20 articles in UK from Sony to stop UK shops doing the same. 

When I compare EU launches that will be from the 30th August week.

Live with it. There is loads of proof that more than 100 stores broke the dead line. Bing it.

Wait, let me get this straight.  Because you have "proof" that 100 stores broke the street date, you have named it the "official" release week.  You do realize how many retail stores there are in America, right?  Just in the US, Wal-mart (including Sam's Club) had 4,227 stores in 2008.  A number that has surely grown since then.  Add in the number of Targets, as well as other stores who kept the street date,  and that number is probably something like 10,000.  This isn't even counting the other territories in America, but I'll use that number anyway.  So, because maybe 1% of stores released early, this will be it's release to you?  That just reeks of bias. 

But hey, I guess it's your thread so you can do as you wish, but it just means less people are going to take them seriously.  And If you are going to stick with the official release date for EMEAA and Japan, then this launch is definitely going to pale in comparison to the PS3 Slim launch.  I mean that's 419K for those two regions.  I'm going to guess 360 S gets ~ 100K  for those 2 regions combined.

Walmarts are starting to filter them into the stores as they wear out their older model supply... so expect a jump again  maybe a little on this week and more on next week... Walmart can make a major impact when it comes to deal plus many of the people looking for one at gamestop will move their purchase to walmart

Around the Network

not a fair comparsion 360 selling 150$.

ps3 clearance was 299$ for the 80gb ps3 399$ 160$. either way by the month end ps3 will likely have a edge because ps3 got huge boost in all 3 regions.

including japan.

thismeintiel said:
selnor said:
thismeintiel said:

@ selnor

Regardless of how it makes the following weeks look, the official launch was Sept. 1st.  A date most stores abided by.  I really don't think a few local Gamestops and Best Buys releasing it early should count against it.  I know no local Gamestops or Best Buys around me were selling them early.  Besides, Wal-mart and Target most definitely share a greater part in gaming sales in the US.  They are the 2 largest retail chains, afterall.

And if the point of this thread is to compare their launches, then here are my predictions.  First we have the PS3 Slim launch for the week of Aug. 30th - Sept. 5th, in which it sold 582,815 units.  So far we only have the 360 Slim launch in America, 129,325.  When it launches in Japan, I don't see it having a huge impact.  But with the release of the MH game, Ill say it may get 10K.  Again, that's a maybe.  For it's release in EMEAA, I think it may increase its sales to the level the PS3 has been selling.  It could do a little more, so I'll give it 60K.  So, in the end I think the 360 Slim's release will push it to ~200K.  So about a 283K difference.  I also predict that after a few weeks of it being in EMEAA, sales will return to normal everywhere except America, where they will stay slightly above 360's previous numbers.  PS3 will again become the 2nd highest selling home console on a WW weekly basis.

Please stop. I'm only comparing the US in the op for now. Of which many many shops broke the street date. Enough to have more than 20 articles in UK from Sony to stop UK shops doing the same. 

Live with it. There is loads of proof that more than 100 stores broke the dead line. Bing it.

Wait, let me get this straight.  Because you have "proof" that 100 stores broke the street date, you have named it the "official" release week.  You do realize how many retail stores there are in America, right?  Just in the US, Wal-mart (including Sam's Club) had 4,227 stores in 2008.  A number that has surely grown since then.  Add in the number of Targets, as well as other stores who kept the street date,  and that number is probably something like 10,000.  This isn't even counting the other territories in America, but I'll use that number anyway.  So, because maybe 1% of stores released early, this will be it's release to you?  That just reeks of bias. 

But hey, I guess it's your thread so you can do as you wish, but it just means less people are going to take them seriously.  And If you are going to stick with the official release date for EMEAA and Japan, then this launch is definitely going to pale in comparison to the PS3 Slim launch.  I mean that's 419K for those two regions.  I'm going to guess 360 S gets ~ 100K  for those 2 regions combined.

I never claimed it official. Dont put extra words in my friend.

And whether you like it or not. You could pick up a PS3 Slm on August 25th. There is nothing you can say that will ever change what actually happened. 

selnor said:
thismeintiel said:
selnor said:
thismeintiel said:

@ selnor

And whether you like it or not. You could pick up a PS3 Slm on August 25th. There is nothing you can say that will ever change what actually happened. 

But surely even you see the problem with admitting the bulk of stores werent selling a product, yet using the conveniently lowered numbers due to the aforementioned scenerio to tout the sales of the xbox slim in comparison

Go ahead and maybe use 6 weeks of comparison, but even then youre talking about a difference in it being closer to holidays last year, different bundles, theres still just no way to compare straight slim launches.

Even with all of this different variables and your numbers twisting to try to make it Xbox > PS3 but in the end there are too many variables being price cut, price of entry, time of year, economy, breaking street dates.....this is why analysis isnt done week over week when these variables pop up....but alas i understand you needed to seize this opportunity of spread out launch because if you waited for the logical way of comparing the 360 wont be near the ps3, so i guess it makes sense as to why you ignored logic and made this thread.

steverhcp02 said:
selnor said:
thismeintiel said:
selnor said:
thismeintiel said:

@ selnor

But surely even you see the problem with admitting the bulk of stores werent selling a product, yet using the conveniently lowered numbers due to the aforementioned scenerio to tout the sales of the xbox slim in comparison

Go ahead and maybe use 6 weeks of comparison, but even then youre talking about a difference in it being closer to holidays last year, different bundles, theres still just no way to compare straight slim launches.

Even with all of this different variables and your numbers twisting to try to make it Xbox > PS3 but in the end there are too many variables being price cut, price of entry, time of year, economy, breaking street dates.....this is why analysis isnt done week over week when these variables pop up....but alas i understand you needed to seize this opportunity of spread out launch because if you waited for the logical way of comparing the 360 wont be near the ps3, so i guess it makes sense as to why you ignored logic and made this thread.

1. How do you know I want be continuing this?

2. Logic at no time have I said this is a straight comparison. Hence the discuss part at the end of the OP?

3. IMO it's impossible to say 1 against the other. 

4. Ive simply defended my decision to keep August 25th for US PS3 Slim numbers. I have not said what is or isnt a better launch. Thats for you guys to discuss. But I wont change the date because for all we know it could be 800 stores that broke the deadline. Noone really knows how many, so with that it's completely unfair to not include August 25th for America. 

5. Continue to discuss all the variables without everyone posting butthurt comments about dates. 

I will continue to monitor the weeks to come for everyone as well. 

:D man this thread is gonna be even better than the AW best gfx thread...posted to keep track in the future, GL Selnor

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!