By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Slim Lauch Vs Xbox 360 s Launch!

I have had a little look at the figures on VGChartz at the to launches.

Ps3 slim released after the summer period into Autumn. It had a $100 price drop to boot. EDIT: 360 Elite dropped to $299 at PS3 Slim launch. The arcade stayed the same price. Making the entry price into 360 gaming the same.

The 360s released bang in the middle of summer. no price drop but added features. Niether console has seen a significant game release around it's launch.

PS3 slim was doing 37,167 before slim released.

1st week 105,931

2nd week 164,166

3rd week 112, 881

360 was doing  49,828 before s released

1st week 129,325

It's worth noting that 360 week before Ps3 slim launch was 56,448

1st week Ps3 slim launch 360 was boosted too. 74,689 and the week after rose again to 87,627.

However Ps3 has seen no rise on 360s launch.

week before 360s Ps3 sold 48,931

week of 360s launch saw 49,951.

These are all US numbers. What do you make of it all?

Around the Network

can you get the worldwide numbers up  aswell?

WW the PS3 sold 320,842 consoles in the first week  and a total of 1,104,833 in almost a month, starting at september 6th to october 3rd in 2009.  Will be cool to see a breakdown of sales between the new slim 360 and older price dropped ones to see whats really helping sales

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

FullMetalMerc said:

can you get the worldwide numbers up  aswell?

I will once 360s releases anywhere else. 

For now only Americas can be compared.

The rises were for Xbox were all to do with the holiday, and more importantly as you know America =/= world, but this is certainly a decent start for the 360 slim, but will it continue through the rest of the year

Well technically the old models got a price drop, with arcade at 150 and elite at 200, I can see people who are tighter on money going for the older model easily, so it really depends on when the old models sell out and eventually be replaced by new models only, before that happens, I think the 360 numbers would be quiet high. That's one thing the PS3 wasn't able to do when the Slim came out, at best, they were at the same price with "more" features instead of the other way around. What I'm trying to say is that MS marketing strategy is better than Sony's on this account, and it clearly shows.

On a side note, if the PS3 drops in price again, I strongly urge you to pick up a PS3 Selnor, you are really missing out on some awesome games on it. Some of these exclusive Sony games, you just have to play them to understand.

Around the Network
dahuman said:

Well technically the old models got a price drop, with arcade at 150 and elite at 200, I can see people who are tighter on money going for the older model easily, so it really depends on when the old models sell out and eventually be replaced by new models only, before that happens, I think the 360 numbers would be quiet high. That's one thing the PS3 wasn't able to do when the Slim came out, at best, they were at the same price with "more" features instead of the other way around. What I'm trying to say is that MS marketing strategy is better than Sony's on this account, and it clearly shows.

On a side note, if the PS3 drops in price again, I strongly urge you to pick up a PS3 Selnor, you are really missing out on some awesome games on it. Some of these exclusive Sony games, you just have to play them to understand.

As much as I want to I'm buying a 360s in 3 weeks. 

Also Kinect in November. My money is tied right now. With Reach and 4 Kinect games and Crysis 2 etc etc. PS3 is a no go for me this year.

Munkeh111 said:

The rises were for Xbox were all to do with the holiday, and more importantly as you know America =/= world, but this is certainly a decent start for the 360 slim, but will it continue through the rest of the year

Would that mena PS3 slim numbers had holiday effect also?

You're numbers are off.  The PS3 Slim launched on Sept. 1st in America.  A few stores (and definitely not any major retail stores) did break the launch date by a few days, but not a few weeks.  The first week sales in America for the Slim launch was 164,166.  The first week you have listed (105,931) was a boost from the old models dropping to $299.

America = World because #s in America for the 360 usually always win.

thismeintiel said:

You're numbers are off.  The PS3 Slim launched on Sept. 1st in America.  A few stores (and definitely not any major retail stores) did break the launch date by a few days, but not a few weeks.  The first week sales in America for the Slim launch was 164,166.  The first week you have listed (105,931) was a boost from the old models dropping to $299.

Several articles and shops on a quick Bing search will give the release date for PS3 SLIM in August.

EDIT:

You are correct. However so I am. Many US retailers released the PS3 SLim August 25th. 

So I wont change the figures as US had PS3 Slim available from August. Because if we use the 164,000 week as it's first week the 2nd week looks seriously bad only 30,000 above the 360. EEEKKK.

So considering Americans were purchasing the PS3 Slim August, the OP will stay the same.