By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Macworld E3 article - Ninty/MS/Sony are "OUT OF TOUCH", "Complacent Swine"

Khuutra said:
famousringo said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Iwata: "A touchscreen and a 3D screen do not get along very well"

How do you like those apples.......Apple?

Yep, Nintendo is doing a great job of delivering experiences that the iOS platform would have a hard time offering.

I didn't see any new blue ocean IPs announced for the 3DS, though. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is out of ideas on this front, is waiting to introduce them a little down the line, or if they're more concerned with retaining existing users and stealing PSP's than seeking out new ones...

When did Brain Training hit?

Six months after the DS launched. Nintendogs launched a month before that. I'm confident that most of the games announced for the 3DS at E3 will fit into that timeframe and some will slip past it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Cough..

iphone 4 received 600,000 pre orders in the first day.. and there were well over a million people trying to pre order it that same day, but it was so much that there servers broke...

apple already holds 20% of the gaming market handheld wise and they aren't even trying..

mM
leo-j said:

Cough..

iphone 4 received 600,000 pre orders in the first day.. and there were well over a million people trying to pre order it that same day, but it was so much that there servers broke...

apple already holds 20% of the gaming market handheld wise and they aren't even trying..

Now do you meean installbase, revenue, or some other metric? Is it game-specific revenune? How do you determine which i[Brand] holders are part of the "gaming market" versus not?

RolStoppable said:

The figure leo-j mentioned applies to software revenue in the USA (2009). Apple's software revenue rose by 400 % year over year which obviously resulted in them taking a bigger slice of the pie between DS, PSP and i[brand]. This of course ignores whether or not the i[brand] should be considered a direct competitor to those handhelds, it could be argued that the i[brand] is to handhelds what the PC is to consoles and they've been co-existing for a long time now.

Regardless, that's the basis of the "Apple is a real threat to Nintendo" argument. What it willfully ignores is that Nintendo's software revenue remained flat or was slightly up (depending on how you want it to spin), so the rise of gaming on i[brand] didn't hurt Nintendo. Yes, their market share was down by a couple of percent, but revenue is the more important figure here and it has to be considered that it already was the DS's fifth year, a time period when video game systems naturally are in decline (though the DS actually wasn't).

The company that is the loser here is undoubtly Sony (sizeable loss in revenue and market share), but that hardly ever gets mentioned.

Will you stop it? leo-j's trying to make a point!  Or is having a bizzare case of the whooping cough. 

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
leo-j said:

Cough..

Now do you meean installbase, revenue, or some other metric? Is it game-specific revenune? How do you determine which i[Brand] holders are part of the "gaming market" versus not?

The figure leo-j mentioned applies to software revenue in the USA (2009). Apple's software revenue rose by 400 % year over year which obviously resulted in them taking a bigger slice of the pie between DS, PSP and i[brand]. This of course ignores whether or not the i[brand] should be considered a direct competitor to those handhelds, it could be argued that the i[brand] is to handhelds what the PC is to consoles and they've been co-existing for a long time now.

Regardless, that's the basis of the "Apple is a real threat to Nintendo" argument. What it willfully ignores is that Nintendo's software revenue remained flat or was slightly up (depending on how you want it to spin), so the rise of gaming on i[brand] didn't hurt Nintendo. Yes, their market share was down by a couple of percent, but revenue is the more important figure here and it has to be considered that it already was the DS's fifth year, a time period when video game systems naturally are in decline (though the DS actually wasn't).

The company that is the loser here is undoubtly Sony (sizeable loss in revenue and market share), but that hardly ever gets mentioned.

Personally, I try to be up-front about that fact. But I don't agree that Apple isn't a threat to Nintendo because the DS hasn't yet been impacted by iOS. Threat implies a potential hazard in the near future, not an actual impact on the present.

My suspicion is that Apple is beating Nintendo to the new users, which is why I'm wondering if Nintendo is working hard to retain DS and PSP users rather than try to reach new users with the 3DS. Really, holding on to DS users and seizing PSP users will be no small achievement (200 million devices!), even if iOS ends up driving most of the growth in handheld gaming for the next few years.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

Around the Network
famousringo said:

Personally, I try to be up-front about that fact. But I don't agree that Apple isn't a threat to Nintendo because the DS hasn't yet been impacted by iOS. Threat implies a potential hazard in the near future, not an actual impact on the present.

My suspicion is that Apple is beating Nintendo to the new users, which is why I'm wondering if Nintendo is working hard to retain DS and PSP users rather than try to reach new users with the 3DS. Really, holding on to DS users and seizing PSP users will be no small achievement (200 million devices!), even if iOS ends up driving most of the growth in handheld gaming for the next few years.

There is a plausible threat posed by Apple, but I don't think Apple's going to realize it. 

The problem with the i___ brand is that it's games are crap.  And I don't mean that in the "Not Good Enough For the Hardcore" sense, I mean that in the "when was the last time anyone was excited to play an i____ game?"  They are, by design, intended to be small diversions for those periods when you're waiting in line or when you have literally nothing else to do.  Their only job is to beat Doing Nothing.

That does not pose a threat to Nintendo, whose business is composed of making games which people actually want to play, and not just because there is Nothing Better To Do.  If Apple doesn't bother to upstream its games (and remember, Apple has no game studios), it will never pose a danger to Nintendo.

The problem that Nintendo has is that a disruptor tends to start at the lowestend of the market, which is exactly where Apple is right now.  If Apple gets a mind to start challenging Nintendo's market, Nintendo will become the incumbent in a battle of disruption, which is not a particularly cheerful spot to be in.  At the moment, however, I haven't seen any signs that Apple cares enough about gaming to bother: it's core market remains elsewhere, it's already found a satisfactory incorporation of gaming into its core, and it hasn't bothered to try and get more compelling software on its system over the past several years.  Nintendo SHOULD still be worried (and I believe DSiWare shows that it is aware of the danger), but the Apple die-hards are definitely way ahead of themselves right now.

noname2200 said:
famousringo said:

There is a plausible threat posed by Apple, but I don't think Apple's going to realize it. 

The problem with the i___ brand is that it's games are crap.  And I don't mean that in the "Not Good Enough For the Hardcore" sense, I mean that in the "when was the last time anyone was excited to play an i____ game?"  They are, by design, intended to be small diversions for those periods when you're waiting in line or when you have literally nothing else to do.  Their only job is to beat Doing Nothing.

That does not pose a threat to Nintendo, whose business is composed of making games which people actually want to play, and not just because there is Nothing Better To Do.  If Apple doesn't bother to upstream its games (and remember, Apple has no game studios), it will never pose a danger to Nintendo.

The problem that Nintendo has is that a disruptor tends to start at the lowestend of the market, which is exactly where Apple is right now.  If Apple gets a mind to start challenging Nintendo's market, Nintendo will become the incumbent in a battle of disruption, which is not a particularly cheerful spot to be in.  At the moment, however, I haven't seen any signs that Apple cares enough about gaming to bother: it's core market remains elsewhere, it's already found a satisfactory incorporation of gaming into its core, and it hasn't bothered to try and get more compelling software on its system over the past several years.  Nintendo SHOULD still be worried (and I believe DSiWare shows that it is aware of the danger), but the Apple die-hards are definitely way ahead of themselves right now.

The games are not crap. Fieldrunners is one of my favourite gamees on the PSP and it was first available on iphone.

XD

This article was good for a laugh (about the only thing it was good for).

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' " ~John 14:6 (NKJV)

noname2200 said:
famousringo said:

You're right, Apple doesn't care about games. But Apple does care about developers, because — contrary to what some might think — the software they make is a huge selling point for Apple's devices. And on any given day, 60-80% of the top 50 grossing apps on the App Store are games. Developers care about games, so Apple includes game-specific APIs and services (Game Center), upgrades hardware with gaming in mind (new gyroscope), and promotes gaming in ads and presentations.

But it is true that Nintendo's biggest weapon against Apple is that games are just a means to an end for Apple, rather than an end in itself. For now, at least, Apple is perfectly happy to allow developers to steer the course of their platform as a gaming device, so they aren't going to be able to focus on particular goals in the gaming market like Nintendo does.

nintendo and sony are going to end up being the loosers in the long run, since nintendo is inching closer to creating a "multimedia" handheld device.. you can't compete with apple on that front, and clearly thats what they are trying to do with DSi and 3DS.

mM