By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "It's ganna be a tough holiday for Sony"

is it really important who won e3? im a MS fanboy but i can admit that nintendo had the overall best e3 but when they are all really good it doesnt matter who wins because whether your a fan of MS or sony or nintendo you got something out of e3.

End of 2010 Predictions

Microsoft-45.4M

Nintendo-75.6M

Sony-40.2M

(Made on 6-10-2010)

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Mr Khan said:

Software, software, software. These services aren't going to make a difference in terms of being able to sell more units quicker. Kinect is the only thing that could do anything, and that's going to hinge dangerously on whether consumers respond to it as a gaming interface (its future as a pure interface is up in the air, but its gaming applications don't entirely look up to snuff so far)

Oh hell yes they are! Xbox Live, PSN are both highly subscribed services. Netflix which is a comparable service has millions of Xbox 360 users online so ESPN would feed off and expand the scope for both on demand services, especially in conjunction with Kinect. The same would apply to services like Primetime which will probably be Kinect enabled as well.

Anyway the gaming applications I saw looked up to snuff. Did you not see how awesome the dancing and fitness programs were? Also we haven't seen the core games thus far so I would have to reserve judgement until Gamescon before I make any decisions about its worthiness.

But i'm saying how is that going to push the real bottom line, new hardware sales?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mattrick has a long end of the year ahead of him when he sees the sales of the PS3 in Europe. The only place the 360 will be having a great time is in North America once Halo Reach drops and thats not the console to game attach rate. That is only for games. GT5 is going to sell consoles in Europe. I am contemplating whether to replace my 360 with the new slim as I was thoroughly disappointed in Microsoft's E3. Why? I know not to look forward to very much going into next year.

Well I agree with them, Move is falling off the amazon best sellers (40ish now) while Kinect is holding steadily on the top spot for some days now.

Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:

Oh hell yes they are! Xbox Live, PSN are both highly subscribed services. Netflix which is a comparable service has millions of Xbox 360 users online so ESPN would feed off and expand the scope for both on demand services, especially in conjunction with Kinect. The same would apply to services like Primetime which will probably be Kinect enabled as well.

Anyway the gaming applications I saw looked up to snuff. Did you not see how awesome the dancing and fitness programs were? Also we haven't seen the core games thus far so I would have to reserve judgement until Gamescon before I make any decisions about its worthiness.

But i'm saying how is that going to push the real bottom line, new hardware sales?

Its a great application which will see a lot of use for the Xbox 360 beyond gaming. It increases demand for it with people who are interested beyond just gaming and it gives some killer non gaming uses for the console as well so people who aren't interested in gaming may still buy one. Why else did these consoles come with many gigabytes of storage if not also for the non gaming applications as wel?

Tease.

Around the Network
ArcticGabe said:

Well I agree with them, Move is falling off the amazon best sellers (40ish now) while Kinect is holding steadily on the top spot for some days now.

it is AMAZON US right

KINECT will go down too

l think I figured out where they polled their fans on who won E3. It must have been the official Xbox site! lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Perhaps the guy is confused, thought he was representing Nintendo. Oh wait, he addressed MS's product... Well the guy is clearly insane then.

Sig? SIG?!

Scoobes said:

1. In that case Halo 3 barely pushed that many 360s and nor did Gears 2. I don't think either the 360 or PS3 has had a major and sustained boost in sales from software if that's your benchmark. Price cuts around the holiday season and redesigns have been far more successful. In fact, I could argue that MGS4 has sold consoles since launch due to the promise of an exclusive MGS game.

Yes I suppose you could say that. So ..how would it be different in the PS3's case. And yes you could argue that, but you would have no evidence.

Scoobes said:

3. Where do you think they've gone. Some may have gone to Forza but a significant number have stayed on PS3 with prologue, yet the features for that title were very few and far between. There are 2 issues that suggest to me GT5 will sell well. First, as I mentioned before, there is a gap in the software market. Secondly, being deprived of something you enjoy leaves you hungry. The fans haven't had a full driving simulation on PS3 and Forza hasn't sold well enough to convince me that fans have shifted to 360.s that that aren't heavily front-loaded.

Have you considered they just don't exist anymore? What happend to the 7 million people who bought Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero. I don't know, but we do know they don't sell anymore.

Scoobes said:

4. The other thing to remember is that when GT3 was released, PS3 was at approx. 20 million. This may not show current trends, but it shows userbase can mean squat for larger franchises, especially ones that that aren't heavily front-loaded.

Yes, I realise that, which is why like few people on this matterI do not see the userbase being the man factor in a decline in GT sales. I just don't see why anyone one thinks last generations trends apply to this generations. If anything i'd say it's certainly an FPS market today, so why is Halo seen at a disadvantage?

Honestly I think we are going to have to wait and see who really won. I think everyone agrees that the Microsoft showing wasn't what hardcore/core gamers have come to expect from Microsoft. That said the show was very much directed at the casual market, and at retailers that are looking for the next big thing. So its somewhat like comparing two different things like apples to oranges. I am not entirely sure whether Microsoft knows how to present its new concept just yet. The comments felt searching, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. Quite frankly none of the three used their time well. They all just seemed to be a stream of gibberish. Grabbing them on the show floor while they were exhausted probably wasn't the best idea. None of them had probably gotten a good nights sleep for the past few days.

Speaking to GT5 I am going to commit a blasphemy. I am basically blind to the arguments at this point. This game has been the proverbial carrot on the stick for three years now. Supposedly selling a legion of gamers on the console. So which is it now? Have they not bought the console in spite of this game, or are they going to buy the console when it comes out? Either the effect has been mostly spent, or the game wasn't very relevant to enthusiasts. Honestly I think enthusiasts have long since commited to one console or another based on games that have come out during this franchises hiatus. Given the quality of the field, and the vast array of titles arriving this holiday season I think expectations are getting well out of hand.