By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "It's ganna be a tough holiday for Sony"

I just got the redesigned 360 and it's worth every penny.

On to the topic at hand. If you watch the entire episode of gametrailers Geoff gave each company head one minute to say why they won E3. Reggie, and Stringer just rambled everything they showed. Mattrick's response was pretty funny (Geoff even laughed), because unlike the other guys he didn't try to list every single thing they showed. He actually waited 10 seconds before starting, mentioned the key issues, then the rest of the time he joked around.   It was really funny compared to what these guys usually do. Every year the three guys are just boring. This was a nice change.

Let's not talk about MS being cocky by Mattrick  having a little fun, when sony took a ton of jabs at their press conference.

Around the Network

After reading this thread, let me paint the picture:

Geoff Keighly gave a guy from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft 1 minute to explain why their company "won" E3.  All three were put on the spot and had to improvise.  The Sony guy did a great job.  Reggie ran out of material at around 30 seconds and had to backtrack.  The Microsoft guy (who needs to be fired) said he'd wait a few seconds before he started to "handicap himself" because Microsoft had such an advantage.  He ran out of thing to say about Microsoft at around 25 seconds.  Then, he floundered around nervously.  He just said whatever came to mind.

My point:  Don't take these poorly thought out comments too seriously.

Squilliam said:

Im not following the concept of not being impressed by a the Xbox 360 remodel due to the fact it was leaked a mere day before. The people on Vgchartz and elsewhere are silly, they are like kids who hunt the house looking for presents and unwrapping them for Christmas and then acting all pissy because there aren't any surprises... In any case theres no reason why you should buy the redesign unless you really want to. Theres nothing forcing you and it was never their objective to get everyone who has an Xbox 360 to buy a new one for no reason.

I disagree with some of your reasoning on the Sony E3. In my mind they were pre-owned by Nintendo before they even walked in the door. Had they not come last it wouldn't have seemed as bad handing out 3D glasses to journalists who had just been wowed by the 3DS and they wouldn't have been as bad talking about the PSP which just had its grave dug. They talked about some good games however it was weaker than last year and they spoke a hell of a lot more shit than they needed to for longer than they should have.

Microsofts press conferrence wasn't terrible by any means. You live in America, do you not watch sports? ESPN is probably even bigger than Netflix for the Xbox 360. They gave a name and release date to Kinect and unveiled the Xbox 360 refresh which gives people everything they have been wanting for the last 5 years in a quiet, energy efficient and smaller design. They showed off a few new games like Forza and Cryteks teaser whilst introducing 3 pretty cool Kinect apps. The Dance, Fitness and Kinectimals applications were all very good and showed off the abilities of the interface to do things the other consoles could not and they were confident enough in their voice recognition to do it in front of a noisy room of cynical journalists.

The Core games are coming! They can't present everything at E3 and leave nothing for Gamescom in August. So they intend to announce the final price and core games at a later date because they wanted to get word out on their key mass market titles earlier in the year. The fact that they left Fable 3 off the menu at E3 has to tell you something becuase its their best known game which is going to utilise the Kinect interface. The fact that you didn't like the games they showed doesn't make them bad games or mean that they had a bad E3.

Software, software, software. These services aren't going to make a difference in terms of being able to sell more units quicker. Kinect is the only thing that could do anything, and that's going to hinge dangerously on whether consumers respond to it as a gaming interface (its future as a pure interface is up in the air, but its gaming applications don't entirely look up to snuff so far)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

CaptDS9E said:

I just got the redesigned 360 and it's worth every penny.

On to the topic at hand. If you watch the entire episode of gametrailers Geoff gave each company head one minute to say why they won E3. Reggie, and Stringer just rambled everything they showed. Mattrick's response was pretty funny (Geoff even laughed), because unlike the other guys he didn't try to list every single thing they showed. He actually waited 10 seconds before starting, mentioned the key issues, then the rest of the time he joked around.   It was really funny compared to what these guys usually do. Every year the three guys are just boring. This was a nice change.

Let's not talk about MS being cocky by Mattrick  having a little fun, when sony took a ton of jabs at their press conference.

i agree...i enjoyed the interview.  I laughed a few times.  I enjoyed Reggies too.

RAZurrection said:
thismeintiel said:

So, are you indirectly bashing Forza's and Project Gotham Racings numbers, as well?

Well for a start i'm not bashing anything, it's just an observation and it's not limited to racing games, it's all genres on all systems.  We're talking about sales effects. If a game doesn't top 5 million or so, it's not going to sell systems to any meaningful degree. It could be the best or the worst game ever, it won't matter a jot if it has no significant power.

thismeintiel said:

The point is that even for a glorified demo, GT5P has sold as well, if not incredibly better, than the competition's  full game offerings.  Proving that GT is still a big franchise today, even if you wish to downplay it.

I don't know, they've bundled it for a full 2.5 years now, that's no true measure of it's sales power (especially with GT5P's less than steller debut figures)

GT5P's sales are about as meaningful as Uncharted 1s sales were to Uncharted 2. They bundled the first game so much that in the end, the sequel they didn't bundle only did about as well. You could say the same for Forza 2 and 3, we may well say the same for GT5.

@ underlined

That's not entirely accurate. You mentioned Uncharted 2 for instance, which by all rights shouldn't have moved consoles, yet on the week of release we saw a moderate boost in PS3 sales, even with good but not brilliant lifetime sales.

Another example would be MGS4 moved consoles and has sold well, but not above 5 million. You can't just shove a threshold on these things. The core fanbase is important to certain franchises.

@ italics

Gran Turismo will really be the first full game release of a driving simulator on PS3. It's actually quite a big gap in the software market. The full game of Forza 3 (and 2 actually) has so far managed less than GT5: Prologue, even though it only has 6 tracks, 60 cars and a lot less features than Forza. This would suggest that the fanbase for this genre of games is still present and mostly on PS3. A survey recently suggested that  >50% of people that planned to buy GT5, had yet to purchase a PS3. I don't put much stock into thse surveys, but it does suggest a positive trend for GT5.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:

@ underlined

That's not entirely accurate. You mentioned Uncharted 2 for instance, which by all rights shouldn't have moved consoles, yet on the week of release we saw a moderate boost in PS3 sales, even with good but not brilliant lifetime sales.

Have these amounted to anything more than tempory spikes? I'm talking significant long term leaps in sales in multiple millions? Not 30k extra for the launch week. 

Scoobes said:

You can't just shove a threshold on these things.

Of course you can. Name a game that sold 10 - 15 million copies and wasn't considered a system seller? There aren't any really, so we know it's at least 10-15 million and to lesser extents that could drop as low as 7 million, but in the 4-5m area it becomes a whole lot murkier.

Scoobes said:

The core fanbase is important to certain franchises.

True, but the question still remains the same. Why should we expect more from 11 million GT fans from 6 years ago, then 11 million Halo fans from only 3 years ago?

Scoobes said:

A survey recently suggested that  >50% of people that planned to buy GT5, had yet to purchase a PS3. I don't put much stock into thse surveys, but it does suggest a positive trend for GT5.

Or a negative situation for the PS3. 140 million PS2's and 35million PS3's. Over 75% of them have yet to purchase a PS3 too, it doesn't mean they for certain will.

did he really answer some of those questions with "eh" ? ... wow, professionally done.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

RAZurrection said:
Scoobes said:

@ underlined

1. Have these amounted to anything more than tempory spikes? I'm talking significant long term leaps in sales in multiple millions? Not 30k extra for the launch week. 

Scoobes said:

You can't just shove a threshold on these things.

2. Of course you can. Name a game that sold 10 - 15 million copies and wasn't considered a system seller? There aren't any really, so we know it's at least 10-15 million and to lesser extents that could drop as low as 7 million, but in the 4-5m area it becomes a whole lot murkier.

Scoobes said:

The core fanbase is important to certain franchises.

3. True, but the question still remains the same. Why should we expect more from 11 million GT fans from 6 years ago, then 11 million Halo fans from only 3 years ago?

Scoobes said:

A survey recently suggested that  >50% of people that planned to buy GT5, had yet to purchase a PS3. I don't put much stock into thse surveys, but it does suggest a positive trend for GT5.

4. Or a negative situation for the PS3. 140 million PS2's and 35million PS3's. Over 75% of them have yet to purchase a PS3 too, it doesn't mean they for certain will.

1. In that case Halo 3 barely pushed that many 360s and nor did Gears 2. I don't think either the 360 or PS3 has had a major and sustained boost in sales from software if that's your benchmark. Price cuts around the holiday season and redesigns have been far more successful. In fact, I could argue that MGS4 has sold consoles since launch due to the promise of an exclusive MGS game.

2. Mario Kart Wii? I doubt many Wii owners would have bought a Wii solely because of that game. It was a combination of Nintendo software that helped sell the Wii. Even Super Mario Galaxy to a lesser extent due to the new casual gamer market.

3. Where do you think they've gone. Some may have gone to Forza but a significant number have stayed on PS3 with prologue, yet the features for that title were very few and far between. There are 2 issues that suggest to me GT5 will sell well. First, as I mentioned before, there is a gap in the software market. Secondly, being deprived of something you enjoy leaves you hungry. The fans haven't had a full driving simulation on PS3 and Forza hasn't sold well enough to convince me that fans have shifted to 360.

And I didn't bring up Halo Reach, which I think will sell quite nicely. It wouldn't suprise me if it sold worse than Halo 3 (I'm fairly sure it'd do better than ODST) as the FPS market is getting a lil' oversaturated, but if it sells more, I wouldn't be that suprised either, as its a Halo game.

4. The other thing to remember is that when GT3 was released, PS3 was at approx. 20 million. This may not show current trends, but it shows userbase can mean squat for larger franchises, especially ones that that aren't heavily front-loaded.

Mr Khan said:

Software, software, software. These services aren't going to make a difference in terms of being able to sell more units quicker. Kinect is the only thing that could do anything, and that's going to hinge dangerously on whether consumers respond to it as a gaming interface (its future as a pure interface is up in the air, but its gaming applications don't entirely look up to snuff so far)

Oh hell yes they are! Xbox Live, PSN are both highly subscribed services. Netflix which is a comparable service has millions of Xbox 360 users online so ESPN would feed off and expand the scope for both on demand services, especially in conjunction with Kinect. The same would apply to services like Primetime which will probably be Kinect enabled as well.

Anyway the gaming applications I saw looked up to snuff. Did you not see how awesome the dancing and fitness programs were? Also we haven't seen the core games thus far so I would have to reserve judgement until Gamescon before I make any decisions about its worthiness.

Tease.

I don't think their being cocky. Just confident.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E