By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - G4: Zelda is not mature enough

richardhutnik said:
dahuman said:

my first time playing TP yielded me about 80 hours, I beat ME2 in 20 some the first time with everybody alive, so are you fucking kidding me?

"Mature gamer" has nothing to do with the game difficulty, according to G4.  I believe it has to do with themes that adults only should have to face.... like doing taxes, or dealing with Zelda getting wasted in  a drive by, or being sexually assaulted.  Having Link also have to deal with a drug addiction is also another part to make it "more mature".

First G4 goes off on Mario.  Now they attack Zelda?  Next up is Metroid isn't mature enough?

What happened to games that are great because they are GAMES?

Indeed, (really guys if this is spoiler by now you should be shot, but this is a spoiler tag) in Twilight Princess Zelda actually freaking dies, and you're going WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT JUST HAPPEN, sure Ganon revives her later so he can control the triforce but for a section of the game she's dead *end spoiler* not really sure how that and some of the lines/themes used in Twilight Princess aren't really "mature".

hell one of my favorite quotes from any zelda is "The history of light and shadow shall be written in blood", but honestly no one should have to come up with examples for this rubbish, G4 needs to go ahead and kick the bucket, maybe Kevin Rose with that Digg/Diggnation money will start TechTV over again... (would be a dream come true)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

I think it would be awesome to see Bioware do a Zelda RPG. You know how like Square did a Mario RPG. You should have heard the the shit storm about that :P anyways I wouldn't want Zelda to change. Though a side set of games like the Paper Mario series where Zelda is more about being an RPG would be pretty nifty. It will never happen though :(

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Galaki said:

Next, they'd complain Metroid isn't a good puzzle game and lack the challenge that of Sudoku.

I actually don't think Sudokus provide much challenge at all.

The majority of the ones I've done are essentially as challlenging as a find-a-word, there is always at least one square that you can for certain put a number in, and putting that in likely opens up 1 or more new letters that are certain. I don't see them as puzzles at all.

There are some where you can't do that and you have to narrow down some squares to the numbers that can be there, but that usually degenerates to trial and error and then doing the above.

Also, I think I left the topic behind somewhere

I think Sudoku would be a better game if it were remade by Germans, and you have to write the numbers in a giant plain of grass and with oil and matches as supposed to kiddy paper and with a pencil.. who over 12 uses pencils?

Pixel Art can be fun.

You know what?  G4 isn't kiddie enough.  They're all about the HARDCORRRZZZZZZZZ

And that's why no one takes them seriously.  Just like everyone is starting to ignore places like IGN, Gamespot, 1up, etc.

If you start to lash out at what's popular, eventually people ignore you.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

G4 never said Zelda isnt mature enough, they said that Zelda is a water downed RPG.

Garnett said:

G4 never said Zelda isnt mature enough, they said that Zelda is a water downed RPG.

But...Zelda is not an RPG!

SmokedHostage said:

I think Sudoku would be a better game if it were remade by Germans, and you have to write the numbers in a giant plain of grass and with oil and matches as supposed to kiddy paper and with a pencil.. who over 12 uses pencils?

I'm pretty sure all games would be improved by being remade by the Germans, they sure know how to make a good board game, and fire helps everything.

Also, With this being my 4992nd post, I feel I should be building up to something meaningful for my 5000th - probably not going to happen though

richardhutnik said:

"Mature gamer" has nothing to do with the game difficulty, according to G4.  I believe it has to do with themes that adults only should have to face.... like doing taxes, or dealing with Zelda getting wasted in  a drive by, or being sexually assaulted.  Having Link also have to deal with a drug addiction is also another part to make it "more mature".

First G4 goes off on Mario.  Now they attack Zelda?  Next up is Metroid isn't mature enough?

What happened to games that are great because they are GAMES?

I would say also, if someone wants "mature" then how about they get a book or watch a movie or something?

While it's obvious that there would be a mismatch between Zelda's estabilished tone and the themes you suggested, I can't see why dealing with emotional scars and physical handicaps, trudgin through life's bleakness, fighting addictions and moral flaws could not be a part of an interactive electronic experience just as they are part of narratives in books, theater, movies, painting, pen and paper RPGs and music.

Your bolded sentences are a non sequitur. Games that are strictly games and don't tackle any subject only a mature person would appreciate, or don't tackle any abstract subject at all are still here and many of them are highly regarded.

Srill, no need to be overdefensive on the fact that some people ask something different from the medium than what you seem to have crystallized somewhere in an 80's arcade. The "pure" games aren't going anywhere, why should they be the only kind of experience everybody care about?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I feel the gaming media will somehow try and downplay Zelda now, since its announcement is imminent. I love the theater that goes on. I don't even bother watching the shit shows any more. If it aint Ninja Warrior or that other one G4 gets no love from me.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.